Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-26-06, 10:45
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheWooo
It is not typical for low carbers to have no interested in children or anything outside of low carb. Most of us do have children. I don't see your point other than to try to illustrate I am drawing unfounded conclusions. If you read the CRON forums you would see very, very few have an interest in children, or religion; in much of *anything* besides eating, food, and longevity - related research. It is almost as if they exist, just to exist. I hardly see how this is "starving to life".

... sorta reminds me of eating disorder online communities. Their world is just this small thing, and they are so isolated from reality, they can't possibly appreciate just how much they are missing out on. It's actually a little sad IMO. My life is hardly perfect but it is a thousand times more fulfilling than when my only concerns were weight (sub for longevity) and food.

Wow, you're wound awfully tightly on this issue. I was merely trying to insert some levity into the discussion.

But since you insist on taking everything seriously: You're making massive assumptions about CRONers and their reproductive desires or lack thereof. Just like with me, you don't know if I had any interest in having children before the diet or not. You don't know if I am in my child bearing years or not. You don't know if I have already had a half-dozen kids and don't want any more. So to leap to any sort of assumptions about someone elses state of mind and how they got there (by diet induced lack of nurturing desire or whether they weren't interested ahead of time) is just prejudice as far as I can see it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheWooo
What I said about the psychological state of CRONers was not a covert personal attack on Whoa, if that is what you are implying. I honestly think it is quite relevant that the majority of CRONers who stick with it do seem to have eating-disorder spectrum, obsessive-compulsive behaviors, and rigid, narrow thoughts. This should imply that CRON either causes such behavior, or that these thought processes bring one to restrict and control food.

I think we all "get it" that you think CRON is just an eating disorder. I guess every dieter or person with a food allergy or intolerance is also disordered since they've got to restrict their foods and be rather insistant, even compulsive, about it.

It isn't uncommon for people who have to avoid various foods (like low-carbers for instance) to get accused of being eating disordered, or hypochondriacs by people who know absolutely nothing about their health issues or goals. There is SUCH peer pressure to eat like everyone else is eating, and any deviation... well that must be a disorder. Psychobabble is so annoying.

As far as I can see, if they're healthy and paying close attention to their health, and their eating doesn't involve body dysmorphia, then there is nothing disordered about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieL
What I really want to say is that this thread is taking an ugly turn. It's unfortunate that some of this debate is starting to get expressed as hostility towards Whoa. That's not right. Whoa, I know you are pretty thick skinned about all this and are able to deal with it better than most, I'd bet but let me take this opportunity to say in the midst of all this hostility, that I, for one, really appreciate your contributions here. I don't always agree with them, but I do appreciate them. You are giving everyone a window into information that doesn't reach the mainstream dieting world.

It's unfortunate that others can't disagree with your CRON beliefs without slamming you in the process.

Totally agree. Very well said.

I still wonder over what it is people find so frightening about other people's diets? I run into this all the time. I could understand the reaction if someone was eating lightbulbs and pieces of jagged metal, but when someone is eating a healthy diet, is experiencing healthy rewards from that diet? Why jump on 'em or try to justify their diet is the result of mental instability? Or visa versa. Is it jealousy that they've got the self-control and discipline we all wish we had?

Last edited by Nancy LC : Thu, Oct-26-06 at 11:14.