Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#376   ^
Old Sun, Aug-07-16, 07:56

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 207/207/150 Female 66 in
BF:
Progress: 0%
Smile Newbie

Hello, I'm 62. Wanting to try LC because I don't have luck sticking to anything else. Cravings always win. Is the over 60 group having success? I'd love to hear some stories.
Sponsored Links
  #377   ^
Old Sun, Aug-07-16, 09:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Hi, Jasmine. The one word that will help you is perseverance. I had lost 5 lbs in 3 years on a standard weight loss diet. So, I DO know how to persevere. BTW, I'm 65.

And, in 3 years on LCHF, I've lost 33, not including the 12 I had to relose, because of NOT persevering one tough winter.

So my mantra, since last summer, has been: never, ever cheat.

I've made room in my plan for small treats, very occasionally (I NEVER, even with a treat, go over total carbs of 30), and, because I so rarely eat anything remotely sweet, my sweet tooth has really taken a back seat.

You can do this, too. Be ready, ahead of time, for the times that you are tempted to cheat, and you will be successful.
  #378   ^
Old Sun, Aug-07-16, 22:35

Plan: My plan, my way
Stats: 233.8/170.0/179 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 116%

I'm 72 and have lost a number of pounds.
It would have been more, but I backslide often.
This diet works.
Just have to read Adkins over and over again.
I keep a copy on my night stand and I've been doing this off and on since 1972 when the first book came out.
Always learning and as time passes adjustments have to be made on a routine basis.
N2L
  #379   ^
Old Tue, Aug-09-16, 09:08

Plan: Atkins, sort of
Stats: 184/166/152 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 56%

I'm 61 and trying to hang on to the great (for me) weightloss I had when I started LC four years ago. I never quite made the goal I defined (about 3 kilos short) and have put back about 4 over a year and a half or so, but I'm still in a good place. It is really not easy to stick with this when I'm not really losing any more (partly because I'm not totally strict, of course) but I can't determine a big difference from what I was doing when I was losing. Nevertheless, I have set myself a limit at 70 kg (I was 69.9 this morning!) and I'm determined to stay under it. Losing a few more kilos would be great but not too many or I'd need a new wardrobe. I'm still pretty comfortable in most of the new clothes I bought.
Anyway, it's nice to touch base with others and I look forward to exchanging experiences.
  #380   ^
Old Tue, Aug-09-16, 17:47

At my age, I figure that the health benefits of staying strictly LC are worth even more than the weight benefits.

And, really, if I were to add in more carbs, what would I eat? Bread? Grains make my joints hurt, now that they're completely out of my system. That also rules out cakes and cookies and pies. Sweets? Yeah, as if they were EVER something that I really needed to eat. Fruit? I eat enough meat and veggies that I get plenty of micronutrients, AND I get full.

I can still eat berries occasionally. And 90% chocolate. I'm good.
  #381   ^
Old Wed, Aug-10-16, 08:26

BF:

MickiSue,
Berries and 90% chocolate are delicious. Maybe I can come round to being stricter. It's true, I don't fret about food so much these days. I feel pretty healthy as I don't eat gluten and mostly avoid sugar including fruit. For me it's about not gaining and maybe losing a little more. But I am rather fond of root vegetables and rice (which I eat in very small quantities) and I eat the occasional maize taco shell with my Mexican style beef.
Anyway, I am willing to be educated and inspired. That's why I'm here. :-)
  #382   ^
Old Wed, Aug-10-16, 08:59

S'okay, Lulumae. What works for someone else works for them. What works for me, works for me.

I know myself, and that's what I have to work with, you know? I used to bake all our bread. I loved baking it and eating it. I've come to believe that all grains are bad for you, so I don't eat any of them. The last to go was the corn on the cob in August. But I don't miss it anymore.

But if I started to eat it again, even a little, I know myself well enough to know how THAT would go...a little would not stay a little!
  #383   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-16, 01:49

BF:

MickiSue, you are absolutely right about the moreish nature of grains. I have to admit that what I am doing is only working up to a point. I am managing to avoid excess and keep from gaining, just, but I'm certainly not losing.
I've tried gluten free bread and stuff and although it isn't as moreish, I realise it's not a good way to go. I do do better if I stick to meat, fish, salad and some dairy. Veggies are a big question mark. I was eating a lot of them, but perhaps I don't need to do that. Yesterday evening I ate my steak with just green salad and herb butter and it was fine.
Anway, the learning process goes on and I'm really happy to be in the low carb camp! :-)
  #384   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-16, 07:48

Me, too, Lulumae. I was an RN, I am a wellness coach. LCHF not only goes against all my societal training, it goes against all my formal training, as well.

As it was, it took me five years from when I started reading GCBC before I really embraced it for myself. I understood the implications, and it was just too much of a paradigm shift to deal with all at once.
  #385   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-16, 08:07
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

N2L and I have both been using Atkins method since 1972, but she is one year older than I am. How about that~finding somebody on this forum older. Priceless.

I always feel better when I'm strictly OP. Now that I'm eating mostly meat, I'll admit that I truly miss my veggies, and sometimes just break down and love munching my raw broccoli.

For those youngsters reading this thread, it's a matter of finding a plan you can live with, without feeling deprived and without obsessing. The older I get, the less I worry about what the scale number is and more about how I feel. The quality of my life depends upon maintaining my good health. My recent bout with allergic dermatitis made me even more aware that joy of life MUST include a good, vibrant healthy body.
  #386   ^
Old Tue, Aug-16-16, 21:30

Plan: My plan, my way
Stats: 233.8/170.0/179 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 116%

Happy Birthday to Myrt, she's one strong lady and making the best of the day..........just the way I would, Mexican food.
  #387   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-16, 07:52
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

Hello ladies! I don't pop in as much as I once did. Hope all are well and losing any pounds you are desirous of losing. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Myrt!!

BlueSinger, I'm almost not eating veggies at all anymore, either. Trying to get as close to zero carb as I can. I lose best at around 10-15 net carbs a day. Hubs is not willing to go totally Zero Carb, so I fix him a simple veggie for him at dinner. I may or may not partake of it. I'm fasting through breakfast, eat mostly baked chicken, pork chops, steaks, burgers (or variations thereof) at lunch and dinner. No casseroles with complex combinations of ingredients. One nite a week I eat whatever I want, pretty much. No snacking EVER. I'm a turtle loser, but have lost 12-13# since mid-April. Hope it continues. Need to lose about 26 more pounds.
  #388   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-16, 07:59
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

My WOE is in flux at present. Not that I'm giving up LCHF, but I'm working on the timing of when I put food in my mouth.

Two Aprils ago, I added IF to my plan and lost about 5 lbs but then that also stopped working as far as losing is concerned.

Because of my age (my supposition) my metabolic rate is way down, so I'm trying to raise that while still not gaining. It's a balancing act and my latest n=1. As long as I'm not getting any aches and pains back, I'm ok.
  #389   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-16, 08:33

Buttoni, I'm a turtle, too. But it's been a year since I dropped carbs to below 20, and I've lost a total of 15 lbs in that time. I'm now less than 6 lbs from goal. And .7 lbs from a weight that I haven't seen in 20 years: below 150.

The last couple weeks I've been eating more tomatoes, as they're ripening like crazy, and they're crazy good. But still, it's pretty easy to stay below 20 if you don't eat fruit or fake desserts.
  #390   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-16, 18:44

Plan: Concentrate on Protein
Stats: 186.5/136.6/136.0 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 99%

Thanks for wishing me Happy Birthday, y'all. I hate to admit it but I just turned 76 on the 16th and I'm at my goal. It didn't all happen at once and it wasn't all low carb. The highest 12# were because of trying Cymbalta and Lyrica but the rest was overeating. I go to WW once b in awhile but I don't like their food plan. It's too commercial and the food they sell is just pure junk...especially what they sell at the neetings.
I'm here in the middle of Texas and it's so cool, in fact it's the coldest August since 1960. Tis wonderful sleeping weather. Luv y'all, myrt