Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 09:50

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/150/150 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress:
Default peanut butter and label reading

hi everyone, just joined the group. I did atkins starting in Jan. and really liked the way of eating.....i dont really have a weight problem....but i like to keep my body fat down to about 7-9%...i do lots of sports and am very active but in order to keep such a low body fat % and not spend my life at the gym i have been doing atkins......
my question is about reading lables...it seems so confusing..and then when you add in subtracting for the fiber(which often isnt listed on food products here in Europe) or you use this sites hidden cab counter...it is always different amounts.....
for example......i checked the following at my store

100gr peanuts.......4gr carbs
100gr smooth peanut butter 100% natural 10 carbs
100gr chunky peanut butter 100% natural 16 carbs
100gr normal peanut butter w/sugar added 8 carbs

ho is it possible that by turning peanuts into butter they get more carbs...and why would the natural peanut butter have a higher carb amount than the normal kind with sugar added!!! I am really confused.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 12:04

Plan: Dr. Atkins New Diet Revol
Stats: 223/223/190 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Talking Welcome

Hi I just wanted to welcome you the forum, this is a great source of support and a wealth of knowledge. Now to help you with the peanut butter question I have to say I am not too sure. I do know that they use sugar and other non LC friendly ingredients in there. Although it is a great source of fat and protein it still contains sugar, therefore it is not allowed during the induction phase. You mentioned that you want to maintain your weight so you can probably just start off on OWL because induction usually makes you lose weight when you go into ketosis. So if you are starting on OWL then you can probably have the peanut butter with the least sugar, and the least carbs. But that is just my opinion, I still stay away from it just to be safe. Once again welcome and I wish you success. Check out the journals, and consider starting one of you own that really helps.

Hadi (I dont think I made much sense)
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 13:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/150/150 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress:

thanks for the info..i am still a bit confused though.....i will continue having a look around the site..it is really big and great!!!