Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-14, 18:29

Plan: Atkins/Gluten-Free
Stats: 167.4/158.6/145 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 39%

What made you decide to get your knee done? I'm afraid I'm on that quick path and I'm trying to figure out what is the reason to finally pull that trigger... I'm quite frustrated with not being able to walk for more than 30 - 44 minutes without pain and lack of mobility. I'm not fun anymore.

Nice to meet you both!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-14, 21:12

Plan: Suzanne Somers; LC
Stats: 182.5/158/105 Female 5'
BF:Melting!
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldahling
Well I'm past the 50 group now (just turned 60), but I like this group so I'm staying! I hope that's okay.
I re-started in November and am doing pretty good. Things are slower than last time - 10 years ago - which I suppose is understandable. I read Wheat Belly and boy I do not want ever to eat it again! A lot of my aches and pains are gone now - but I still ahve the occasional trouble with gas. I plan to try Apple Cider Vinegar next time to see if it helps. Other than that, I'm just eating lots of fat, some protein and veggies and trying to get outside every day.
Today 254. Tomorrow - the world!

Hello Idahling! Love the name Once again a testament to Wheat Belly. I must read it. Good for you.
Kat
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-14, 21:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MishaBelle
What made you decide to get your knee done? I'm afraid I'm on that quick path and I'm trying to figure out what is the reason to finally pull that trigger... I'm quite frustrated with not being able to walk for more than 30 - 44 minutes without pain and lack of mobility. I'm not fun anymore.

Nice to meet you both!

Hi Michelle
It gave out. They both did, LOL. I had a hip replacement from bad osteoarthritis (bone spurs) and trauma 2 years ago and was just getting back into my life again, exercising when the knee got really painful - I couldn't walk for any distance on it. An MRI later, I had a tear, cyst, bone debris and those lovely bone spurs from osteoarthritis...a few weeks later the other knee "went", so it's been a painful journey.
Knees are tough, but everyone who has this says they are glad they did and are back to being active.
Kat
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-14, 07:25

BF:

Thanks for the info, Kat. My mother keeps telling to get it done sooner rather than later as well... and while I'm good at keeping a stiff upper lip, I'm annoyed with feeling like my knees rule my life.

Off to the semi-annual blood draw! It's going to be awful because I haven't been back on the wagon long enough, but oh well!

Happy Friday everyone! Anyone doing anything fun??
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Jan-18-14, 21:52

Quote:
Thanks for the info, Kat. My mother keeps telling to get it done sooner rather than later as well... and while I'm good at keeping a stiff upper lip, I'm annoyed with feeling like my knees rule my life.

Off to the semi-annual blood draw! It's going to be awful because I haven't been back on the wagon long enough, but oh well!

Happy Friday everyone! Anyone doing anything fun??

I'm on my own this weekend - doing well enough that I can petsit for my people who are taking care of me while they have a nice weekend in Tahoe with friends. Just doing my exercises, walking, and taking care of myself is full time - not much else happening.
  #36   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-14, 18:02

BF:

Busy weekend with work stuff... normally, I can stave it off, but there is a filing deadline on Wednesday. Ugh.

But I did get shopping done, and groceries bought and I'm cooking. I have a plan for next week and that should make things be easier for me.

Off to finish dinner.... I'm glad to hear that you are on the mend enough to be on your own, Pat! How long ago was surgery?
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-14, 22:54

Plan: Atkins but open to others
Stats: 174/174/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi ladies,
I'm an Aussie , aged 57 and have been zero carb for approximately 5 years.
When I first started doing this lifestyle I lost about 10 kgs in short while.
Somehow, the kilos have managed to come back so that I'm now needing to lose 5 kgs.
It is very difficult to lose fat now that I'm in my late 50s.
Even at 49-50years, it was still relatively easier than it is now.
I feel flabbier and untoned.. but I guess I'm not 20 anymore!
I eat plenty of fat, moderate protein and zero carb .
I ride 50 kms weekly, on my bike and I work full time.
I guess I have obvious signs of post menopausal fat distribution with much larger hips than I've ever had and fat pads between my knees and calves making my legs look most unattractive - and it won't budge.
I'd like to meet other ladies doing this lifestyle , to be supportive and to share ideas.
Pops
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Jan-25-14, 04:10

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppyseed
Hi ladies,
I'm an Aussie , aged 57 and have been zero carb for approximately 5 years.
When I first started doing this lifestyle I lost about 10 kgs in short while.
Somehow, the kilos have managed to come back so that I'm now needing to lose 5 kgs.
It is very difficult to lose fat now that I'm in my late 50s.
Even at 49-50years, it was still relatively easier than it is now.
I feel flabbier and untoned.. but I guess I'm not 20 anymore!
I eat plenty of fat, moderate protein and zero carb .
I ride 50 kms weekly, on my bike and I work full time.
I guess I have obvious signs of post menopausal fat distribution with much larger hips than I've ever had and fat pads between my knees and calves making my legs look most unattractive - and it won't budge.
I'd like to meet other ladies doing this lifestyle , to be supportive and to share ideas.
Pops

I started this WOE 11 years ago. I lost 85lbs. I did gain a bit a few years ago, partly thru increasing carbs again and what I thought was due to menopause. BUT, two years ago I decided I wasnt having any of it - so post menopausal, I decided to go back to strict induction, lost all the weight and am now the same size as I was 10 years ago. Ok, my poor old body aint gonna be like a 20 year olds again and my skin is wrinkly cos theres no fat to plump it out, but I refuse to "buy" the menopausal fat thing and I havent got any!!!!!

That said, I'm beginning to think maybe I should put a bit on now - a skinny old lady isnt a good look for me?!?

Jo xxx
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-14, 07:40

BF:

Ughh... like I posted under another topic... two weeks of low-carb'ing and I've released enough estrogen back into my system that I'm having a period! First one since July 2012. I'm so annoyed. I really enjoy NOT having periods (mine were so heavy before they stopped).

I'm plugging along; I got my exercise bike fixed yesterday so that will help. I think one of the things I have to do different is to step up my activity... with my knee problems, I'm not nearly as active as I used to be.

And nice to meet you Poppy!
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-14, 16:45

Quote:
Ughh... like I posted under another topic... two weeks of low-carb'ing and I've released enough estrogen back into my system that I'm having a period! First one since July 2012. I'm so annoyed. I really enjoy NOT having periods (mine were so heavy before they stopped).

I'm plugging along; I got my exercise bike fixed yesterday so that will help. I think one of the things I have to do different is to step up my activity... with my knee problems, I'm not nearly as active as I used to be.

And nice to meet you Poppy!

Hello Jo and Poppyseed
Aw, so sorry about having another cycle...I kept waiting for mine to come back...but I never had another one. It just tapered off...down to 3 a year, then that was it. I don't miss it at ALL.
Kat
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-14, 18:54

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Quote:

Before you do that, try giving up gluten dairy, and maybe even nightshade veggies. You might find that your inflammation goes down so much that you have no further pain. I strongly suggest reading Wheat Belly or one of the paleo books. Surgery might be completely unnecessary and cause further problems. If you have an inflammation problem, you'll need to deal with it anyway.

I deeply regret my knee surgery. If I had known then what I know now about inflammation I never would have done it. Now my knee is fat and unsightly for life.
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-14, 08:21

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike2work
Before you do that, try giving up gluten dairy, and maybe even nightshade veggies. You might find that your inflammation goes down so much that you have no further pain. I strongly suggest reading Wheat Belly or one of the paleo books. Surgery might be completely unnecessary and cause further problems. If you have an inflammation problem, you'll need to deal with it anyway.

I deeply regret my knee surgery. If I had known then what I know now about inflammation I never would have done it. Now my knee is fat and unsightly for life.

I'm already gluten and nightshade veggie free. That helps, but I find that a general low carb diet (along with 20 lbs gone) is also helpful. I've seen the x-rays... there is significant damage in the knees and it is not a matter of if, but when, and I'm trying to delay that. It's not just inflammation. Fortunately, they make "lady knees" now that are smaller in size and less unattractive. I'm holding out though, for technology to improve more.

Fortunately, dairy does not bother me... but I've gotten to the point where peppers make me so ill. Stuffed peppers used to be my favorite fall dinner, but not anymore!
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-14, 12:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 53/151/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress:

Hi ladies, some very familiar stories up above, have enjoyed reading them. But this site is so difficult to get around. I seem to be blocked in anything I do doh!! Nancy LC, you sound like a lady after my own heart. I've been low carbing on and off for over 10 years now, not massively overweight thankfully but at approaching 52 the weight seems very stuck this time and I am being stricter and going hungry for the first time ever since doing this!! Am over a stone overweight now. I did post a while back about having a mirena coil fitted and maybe that was the reason, but no-one replied!!
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-14, 22:09

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 292/238/145 Female 5' 10" (70")
BF:
Progress: 37%

What in heaven's name is a mirena coil?
Never heard of that.
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-14, 01:08

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldahling
What in heaven's name is a mirena coil?
Never heard of that.

Its a coil (contraceptive) that also contains some hormones http://www.mirena-us.com/

Jo xxx