Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-20-09, 21:32

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%
Default Met a neighbor with CFS

Today we went up to the in-laws house because a neighbor had some kittens to give away and my mother-in-law wanted to let our kids pick them out. My wife and I made it up there after the kids were done, but we stopped to visit with the neighbor.

In the course of conversation, she told us that she had CFS and lots of allergies, including food allergies. We told her a bit about our situation (I have a lot of allergies and sensitivities, and we both eat high-fat, no grains). We recommended a few things - coconut oil, which she already has but hasn't tried yet, ghee, which I brought to her later, sauerkraut, bone broth, and meat in general. She said that local honey really helps her. I told her I eat a lot of liver and she asked "doesn't that have all the toxins in it?" so we spent a little while explaining all the misinformation going around about meat and vegetables.

She asked if we could recommend a book, but although I've gotten help from several different books, I didn't have any one in particular I could recommend. Does anyone have a suggestion?

I asked her a few times what she was eating and she basically said "I don't eat." I told her how Intermittent Fasting helped me, but I emphasized that when I eat, I eat a lot.

She said she saw an accupuncturist she called "Dr. Devi" on the west coast who gave her "muscle tests" that sounded like kinesiology. The doctor told her she was "allergic to everything life-sustaining." I told her I found out my problems just by experimenting, but she seemed to want to find a doctor who could give her the "muscle tests" instead. I hope she gets over that.

My wife has known this woman since she was a kid. Now the woman is an elderly "cat lady." She takes good care of her cats, but she has no one around to help her. I know what a difference it made to me, having my wife tell me how I was reacting to different foods. It really helps to have another person's perspective.

I'm planning to send her a jar of my sauerkraut when my mother-in-law comes to see our kids on Tuesday. I don't know very much about CFS. Does anyone here have tips for this woman?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-07-09, 13:55

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Magnesium is said to help.

That's all I know right now.

amanda
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-07-09, 15:47
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Read this, might explain some cases of CFS:
http://weightoftheevidence.wordpres...tery-diagnosis/

There's 2 other parts you might enjoy reading.

Other than that, I think food intolerances is probably a good place to start looking. There's ELISA/ALCAT testing too. I think "muscle tests" are voodoo.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-16-09, 07:25

Plan: lutz diet
Stats: 121/119/110 Female 158 cm
BF:
Progress:

hi everyone!
could anyone explain to me which are the coconut oil properties?? is coconut milk good as well? cos i eat loads in meals i mean.. i have heard pp could have sensitivities..
what else is good for cfs?
ive had cfs for 6 years, had epstein barr, cytomegalovirus, coxsakie b, thyroiditis, deficiencies in vit d and a slight one in A,candidas, IBS etc..
the most disturbing symptom i have is dizziness, i never feel stable, i feel like im on a plane or a boat, as if there were pression changes in my head. i m so fed up with it! ive recently decided to try a lowcarb diet but feel worse, i guess its normal in the first weaks

anyway any tip is welcome!
also i lost 4 pounds the first days and then gained some, i wondered what food is best or not to eat if we want to loose weight too? i have too much fat in my thighs, apparently its all the toxins which have been accumulating, dunno..
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-16-09, 08:40

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Coconut oil is high in antimicrobial saturated fat and metabolism-boosting Medium-Chain Triglycerides. It has almost no inflammatory Omega-6 fats. Having said that, I don't eat it myself - it irritates my throat. I do use it on my skin, though.

Coconut milk is good in the sense that it contains a hefty amount of coconut oil. It's a great substitute for cream if you're dairy intolerant, and it sure makes a delicious curry. As nuts go, I think coconut is probably the best. But I don't think there's anything particularly good about the rest of the stuff in it - a little fiber, a little sugar, a little plant protein.

I don't know a whole lot about CFS, but I think it's one of the many conditions that a gluten-free diet can help. To help maintain levels of Vitamin A, D, K, B and minerals, I eat liver about once a week. I also try to get out in the sun at midday every chance I get.

Nancy, your link seems to have died.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-16-09, 09:53
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Well, this thread is getting old, can't blame my poor link. It's Regina's blog, she must've moved it again. Anyway, it was her post about chronic carbon monoxide exposure that she had. It sounded a lot like CFS.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Dec-07-09, 03:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/188/150 Female 66"
BF:Day37=2"loss belly
Progress: 71%

I recommend Jacob Teitelbaum, M.D. book From Fatigued To Fantastic

He battled Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia while attending medical school in the mid 70's. In his struggle to heal, he discovered treatments that were unknown to the medical community and began a quest that became his life's passion — helping those who suffer from these debilitating illnesses.

I haven't gone from Fatigued To Fantastic but believe he has the best protocol. I also didn't discover his protocol til I was completely disabled and without income to attempt too much.

http://www.endfatigue.com/