Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-08, 13:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelasher
Since i have been doing Zero LC and upped my fat to 75% or more I have not had any hot flashes. I use to get about 1 o2 a week.

Just curious, but are you just meat and fat, literally ZERO LC?

Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-08, 13:44
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePants
Nancy, I started with heavy flows, hot flashes etc. One of the problems with Atkins and possibly all low carb programs is that as we lose fat, we also get estrogen that is stored in those same cells released and anything might happen. Folks who stopped having hot flashes, started, folks who had PCOS, become regular and some ladies get PMS, etc.
So if your experiencing any Menopause symptoms it might just be the diet.

Just a little clarification from my p.o.v. of 10 years of LC, reading and researching health and surviving a sudden and rapid menopausal onset:
the most common heads-up for non-menopausal, non-PCOS, non-serious PMS, regular menses (for lack of a better term?) ladies is breakthrough or irregular bleeding/cycle - even if on BCPs - while going into ketosis, pretty much. It tends to stabilize along with a regular LC lifestyle, i.e., returns to regularly scheduled cycles, after a couple of months or so. Of course, if you become a yoyo LCer, it'll probably be back, every time you yoyo...

Severe ongoing PMS is NOT a result of LC or ketosis, but a symptom that should be looked at for itself, as pointed out by Nancy. Ketosis is a natural condition all humans (LC or not) are going in and out of all day, if the liver is functioning normally and LC is a trigger for better overall health, not worse...generally speaking!

#33   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-08, 13:46
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylvieK
This is an interesting point. I'm 51 and all my life periods have been regular (usually right on the full moon). I just officially missed my first period and over a month "late." But for the past three years I've had hot flashes and much heavier periods.

I'm going on my 7th month of low-carbing, staying at or near induction levels. The problem I've had recently is that for the past month since I missed my period I've had nearly constant and sometimes severe menstrual cramps -- but no period to relieve the cramps -- and other PMS symptoms, e.g. bloating and extreme irritability. I wish I could do something to alleviate this and maybe bring on the period, but I don't know what might help. If anyone has suggestions, I'd appreciate them.

An excellent book to have on hand is Susun Weed's book on menopause (her books listed on susunweed.com; they usually have her books in stock at Whole Foods). Many symptoms are discussed and a variety of homeopathic, herbal, and alternative remedies suggested. I've tried many things she's recommended that worked well.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but is there any possibility you could be pregnant? It's happened to many a PCOSer, as they LC they are actually balancing their hormones (many for the first time) and often manage to get pregnant when fertility treatments have failed them!

True!

#34   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-08, 14:06
Registered Member

Oy vey, I was going to post my experience in here, but got distracted after reading the thread!

I got a somewhat unusual situation, me (I think, but maybe not).

I'm 52 now, btw. Five or six years ago, my GP doc asked me if I was very very sure I didn't want to have that child, as my innards were in excellent shape other than running on one fabulously functioning ovary, regular like clockwork (AFTER having an ovary removed - enveloped by benign but very large ovarian cyst that was also interfering with other internal organs due to size - some 20+ years previously), excellent muscle tone, etc., no signs of perimenopause. I was pretty fed with "preventive" techniques and/or prescriptions... Bottom line, she signed me up for a tubal ligation (which is a tying off, ICYDK).

By the time I was queued for this elective surgery (thank you Canada for long long wait lists), some 10 months had passed. However, nothing had changed for me. In I went. Signed off. Out I came. All's well except for the horrible inflation effect (sorry for any tender feelings out there ).

No more than 6 weeks later I got a full-fledged hot flash. Periods started wandering around the calendar. Getting farther apart (or not), changing duration, changing severity and showing up at unexpected times. Started having trouble sleeping, and some fab mood swings. Within 7 months the cycle gaps were getting bigger. Within a year, I had my last period, and the hot flashes started tapering off steeply, I started sleeping better (at last!), etc. I had some symptomatic relief, over that year, with various herbal preparations, especially with those containing Vitex, A. Angelica and Cohosh.

Bottom line, 2 things really stick with me.
  • The ligation turned out to be a cauterization (ick! burned flesh, and NOT what I had signed for) and I now believe they just plain got too close to my functioning ovary and caused damage.
  • I had read an article somewhere since that time five years ago (should have found a link to it!) that it turns out that the once a month hormone(s) spike re estrogen has been a SUPPOSITION all this time, and that someone(s) had finally actually tested and tracked the levels at least daily for a full cycle (~ a month) and it's more like waves of rises and falls. In short, the medical texts and training about ovarian estrogenic hormonal function are all based on, ahem, NOTHING factual. They just don't know what they are doing in there, much of the time!
Wild guess, the other hormones involved are probably not QUITE what we all read about, never mind their interactions with the other major endocrine hormones, such as Thyroid Hormones or Insulin/Glucagon.

Sigh. Long story. There it is. Sometimes there are no warning signs. And the medical system needs a few good kicks in several departments.

#35   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-08, 11:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 295/230/150 Female 5 ft. 7 in.
BF:
Progress: 45%

I have never had any problems with mine except some night sweats every once in awhile. I think I cam through mine really easy compared to alot of others I knew who had alot of problems.
I took my hormones daily and I guess they were what helped me.
During my menopause time I did gain some weight, in fact alot of it, but I have since now lost most of it after I went on a Low carb diet.
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-08, 09:07
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Ok everyone it's official. I am now 50! I can post in here without feeling unqualified!

My period is getting wonky. Sometimes it comes a week early and I only have to wear something like for a day. The cramping has gotten worse though, and I'm pretty sure I have endometriosis due to some other symptoms. Anyway, I'm going to ignore it because menopause should be headed my way.

But is the wonky periods to be expected?

Another question, given that I have fibroids and probably endometriosis, should I avoid any sort of hormone replacement? I don't want to make those things worse.
  #37   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-08, 09:56

Plan: LC
Stats: 157/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 9%

A very informative thread. Thanks for starting it Nancy and thanks to others for the book recommendations.
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-08, 05:23
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

#39   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-08, 11:30
Just keep swimming

Plan: General Low Carb/IF
Stats: 226/186.6/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:34/29/24
Progress: 60%

Excellent information! I'm fast approaching 49 and seem to having a period about every other month. I've been like clockwork since I can remember, so I guess things are changing. I have had some hot flashes, but not bad.
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-08, 06:40
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

On my homepage I have put a brief summary of what Dr McCleary has to say about Hot Flashes in his book The Brain Trust Program. together with his Anti excitatory cocktail and his ketogenic mix.

Maybe worth investing in some MCT oil.
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-08, 07:35

Plan: PPLPish<30ecc.
Stats: 180/165/150 Female 5 foot 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

ohh, I arrived from totally different perspective to MCT oil. I was looking for a fat that gives you instant energy and has no effect on blood glucose. MCT in coconut oil fit the bill perfectly.

If it works or not is a different story . I am going to document personal experience and also ketostix reading to determine if it does increase ketones in the body.