Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, May-22-06, 10:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 150/142.0/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default Happy Birthday!

Happy birthday Lindy!!

It's awesome that you & hubby are certified. I have my advanced cert. Love diving!!
I got my motorcycle license in July 2005. Purchased a 650 Suzuki in Sept. and am really enjoying it!

"To stay young, play young."
"The couple (family) that plays together stays together."
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Jun-21-06, 10:14
Registered Member

Plan: Carbs not
Stats: 159/124/130 Female 67 inches
BF:Playing the field
Progress: 121%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
I'm 58 years old and I'm still convinced that I'll get to be middle-aged in another 5 years or so. Should I bite the bullet and admit that my graying hair, receding hairline, assorted wrinkles, bifocals and mailings from AARP may be signs that I have passed the boundary into middle agedness?

No, but everything you described (except the receding hairline) describes me as well. And I'm 47. I feel better now than I did in my 20s and 30s, and I wasn't even overweight in my 20s. And thanks to a great colorist, I keep the gray away.

Sorry, but 58 is the new 28, even with AARP mailings!
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Jun-21-06, 11:23

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

I'm just a few months shy of 60 and consider myself middle-aged. Why?

When I was young I:
Worried about what other people thought
Felt that if I didn't have a perfect body I was lacking
Followed low fat diets
Followed the latest styles
Could be easily intimidated
Wore bras and nylons every day
Was concerned about wrinkles, gray hair and aging

At middle age I:
Am more confident
Smile more often
Like who I am and what I've accomplished
Set my own pace
Found the low carb way
Set my own style
Can stare just about anyone down
Dare to go without nylons and often a bra when it's hot
Accept that old age will eventually arrive (hopefully) and won't be as bad as I thought

Wisdom, confidence and acceptance comes with age. My youth may be behind me but I believe I am at my happiest and most productive part of my life is right now.
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Jun-30-06, 13:33

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairOnFire
No, but everything you described (except the receding hairline) describes me as well.
Speaking of receding hairlines, I know it's a hormonal issue, but my hair is very thin on top. Is there any way to alleviate this without doing some heavy drug or hormonal treatments? Or is it a thyroid problem?
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Jul-06-06, 02:31
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkin's
Stats: 140/138/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress:

I'm 51 -- and feel great. No wrinkles, hair still almost all black ( a few greys here and there -- hardly visible) -- feel fit and flexible -- thanks to my cardio and yoga. I'm often mistaken to be much younger than I am
Anyway, I think age is just a chronological thing -- how is that important? Except on a superficial level. Actually, I find it is the young who feel the need to categorise people into age brackets. I find that as long as I don't reveal my age, younger people accept me as one of their own -- are free and without inhibitions -- but as soon as I tell them my age, suddenly curtains seem to drop in their eyes -- Weird, or what!
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Jul-06-06, 21:40
Registered Member

Plan: Carbs not
Stats: 159/124/130 Female 67 inches
BF:Playing the field
Progress: 121%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellistile
Speaking of receding hairlines, I know it's a hormonal issue, but my hair is very thin on top. Is there any way to alleviate this without doing some heavy drug or hormonal treatments? Or is it a thyroid problem?

Hellistile,

I happened to be reading an old thread earlier today about hair loss on induction, and some people seemed to have good results with biotin supplements. There is also a GNC supplement called Women's Skin, Hair & Nails, or something like that, which has some biotin in it.

Don't know if it's hormonal, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were. Are you in menopause? Because some menopausal women on the hair thread were talking about thinning hair. Seems hair loss on Atkins is pretty common.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=13389
  #37   ^
Old Sun, Jul-23-06, 13:54

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 296/178/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Much less
Progress: 81%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
I'm 58 years old and I'm still convinced that I'll get to be middle-aged in another 5 years or so. Should I bit the bullet and admit that my graying hair, receding hairline, assorted wrinkles, bifocals and mailings from AARP may be signs that I have passed the boundary into middle agedness?

You've got wrinkles? Did you know that if you put your fingertips on each side of your face and neck and pull back, they go away--for at least as long as you're looking in the mirror! LOL

I'm 56, and although I don't have too many wrinkles, I do have white hair, but an $8 bottle of blonde hair dye takes care of that! I'm not admitting to nuttin'! You're only as old as you think you are.

Sunny!
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Jul-23-06, 14:46

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 296/178/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Much less
Progress: 81%

Quote:
Originally Posted by yung1
Haven't we all met young persons that seem OLD? I love meeting other "Middle agers" that seem young, because their out look on life is youthful. I have a friend that is in her late 60's, she's a vibrant powerhouse!! I want to be like her when I grow up.

My son was BORN old! He had the cleanest room in the house and did a lot more chores than I gave him to do. He only missed two days of school in his life and he had surgery on one of them--his appendix out. He went to school the next day right after insisting that he be discharged. The other was the day of his father's funeral. When he was a teenager, I tried to get him to go out and stay out late once in a while. All he wanted to do was work. He would get in my car and say, "Mom, your radio is too loud." I would tell him if he was going to listen to country music, take it upstairs so I couldn't hear it!

The funniest was the year I turned 40. He sent me a dozen red roses and told his friends at work about it. One of his friends stared at him and said, "Your mother is 40? I thought YOU were 40!" He wasn't kidding. My son was 21 years old.
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Jan-09-07, 20:18

Stats: 280/000/165 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 243%

Middle age, is the middle third of life in my opinion. Some are still quite young in middle age, and some are very very old. It is all mental.

In my family , women live to be ninety, so for my gene pool, middle age for me is 30-60, so at 52 I have to consider myself middle age.

With my low carb lifestyle, however, I am in better shape now than I was as a young adult, or even child. Everything is relative.

Karen

check out my gallery, after 110 pounds lost I am a new creation.
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-08, 16:37
Registered Member

Plan: my own low carb
Stats: 100/100/100 Male 50.0 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

When you feel old, you are. I'm going on 62 and feel like I am 40. It was a good age.
My mom at age 87 wrote an article saying that the elderly do not feel elderly... would rather be called just "older".
I for one, will not give in to an elderly mentality.
  #41   ^
Old Sat, May-17-08, 16:51

Stats: 295/230/150 Female 5 ft. 7 in.
BF:
Progress: 45%

I am 62 now and I still am not middle age yet.
Maybe a few more aches and pains but I feel young inside..........