Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-26-05, 15:26
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/235/150 Female 5ft 5.5inches
BF:Started May 26 '05
Progress: 0%
Default Well in a few months lol

Hi all
I'm 50 in November, and proud of it. Have 3 grown kids and 3 grandchildren. My newest grand daughter (17mo) lives in the same city as me so I have lots of fun with her.. and wow does she keep me going lol.

I like so many others on here find that the challenges of creeping up to 50, plus a total hysterectomy has really not helped. At 226 I have foot/knee/hip lower back, and upper back problems. Seems I am always in agony from them... so that is the main reason I want to slim down finally.

As if that's not bad enough, I have had drepression related illnesses for years, which seemed to worsen the larger I got... I have read that a carb sensitiviey can lead to depression, so hence another reason to do away with them (or most of them).

I am wondering if there are any other readers out there that have battled these problems, and are finding help now, and increased physical/mood health.

Cher
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-25-05, 02:14

Plan: my own
Stats: 182/176/140 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress: 14%

hi cherf your a little youngster compared to me i,ll be 59 in sep
I also have 3 kids all grown and left the nest i have 3 grand kids
2 girls and one boy , i dont see 2 of them very much as they live abroad but hopeing to go see them next year, the other one i see more often as he lives close by. By the way i live in cornwall uk and i just started the atkins on monday this week so this is my 4th day im determined to succeed.

i know what you mean about the depression i too have suffered from it i had to give up my job 2 years ago because of panic attacts they are not very nice, i take antidepressants because i want to i havent got anything against them if they help me then thats fine i could take worse things in my life and they are not addictive as a lot of people think they have helped me through this 2 years i can tell you.I hope you are well and have a great day chin up

byeeee may
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-14-06, 18:12

Plan: self-designed
Stats: 216/189/190 Male tad under 6'
BF:
Progress: 104%

I met my wife 6.5 years ago after the loss of my first wife. I was on the lonely-heart's circuit for about 6 months when I met many fine women and enjoyed their company but my present wife was the only one whom I wanted to see again, and again, and again, and again!

She too suffered from depression and undiagnosed hypothyroidism which was being treated as depression! Her medication was exacerbating her condition. She was in a poor state both mentally and physically and had been for years. As a child she had been abandoned by her parents, aged 2, and placed in a children's home. Later she was adopted by a family who clearly did not want another child and where the adoptive mother was an alcoholic and brutal in her treatment of her. Following that she had two disastrous marriages and was almost penniless but, for all her problems, I could see a lovely woman behind that stressed-looking face and irrespective of her condition I felt comfortable in her company. (I'll save the more interesting part of this story for another occasion).

I recognised her hypothyroidism but she hadn't the courage to face the GP so I accompanied her and drew attention to this possible problem. Subsequently it was confirmed and she received appropriate medication and that helped but she was still a depressive and suffered from severe migraines daily. The following medication helped (self-medicated): Hydergine (VG), Selegiline Nitrate (excellent), 5HTP from HFS, and omega 3-6-9 oil caps (both VG). Soon after starting the self-medication she awoke one morning and exclaimed, "For the first time in my life I feel normal"! How she knew what it is like to feel normal is beyond my ken. Today she is probably 90+% better; in fact she is a different woman; she is happy, outgoing, confident, and well (and fit) and I care deeply about her and love her to bits! Possibly it should be added that a constant supply of applied TLC also helped.

Three years ago we married, she was then 58 and I was 72. Since then she has bought 2 Norfolk terrier pups (terrors would be a more appropriate name) and looks after them like a sweetie-wife! What is more important is, she has filled the vacuum left behind after the demise of my first wife of 47 years of togetherness. We are never out of each other's company and occasionally we have dinner or a dinner/dance at some posh hotel when we have the opportunity to dress-up. What then is my problem today? Well she is an excellent cook; need more be said, and I want to live that bit longer to enjoy her company!

Hopefully, this little anecdotal tale will help you to find your way out of your problem.

Last edited by Duparc : Wed, Feb-15-06 at 02:11.