Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-17, 16:00

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

This thread reads like my life story up to 18 months ago. >_<

The worst ones for me in particular were "eat less / move more", "calories in / calories out", and of course, "you are what you eat".
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-17, 04:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 00
BF:
Progress:

"Your brain needs carbs to function!"

"Everything in moderation."

"A little bit won't kill you."

"Atkins?! That's been totally discredited."

(in recipes) "This is a healthier version of XX, cutting down on fat."

"You shouldn't eat that much meat, it's bad for you."
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-17, 15:31

Plan: Carnivore & IF
Stats: 357/294/170 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 34%

omg this thread is no joke- I've heard all of this! When I was a slightly chubby teenager, my friend's stick-thin mother pulled me aside and said, "I just listen to my body. Try that." Over the next 13 years, I gained about 140 pounds, listening to my body. All it would tell me is, "more, please!"

It took me a long time to realize that what I put into my body dictates what my body is telling me.
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-17, 16:23

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

"A shake for breakfast, one for lunch, and then eat a sensible dinner."
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-17, 17:07
Registered Member

Plan: Primal
Stats: 165/112/112 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

"Waste = weight"
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-17, 23:33

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

A fellow diabetic told me I needed more carbs (she follows ADA advice). I didn't get a chance to ask her why, as I'm not on any meds & she's on several.

The smaller plate idea & not putting bowls of food on the table do work for me. Not every meal, but often enough I don't overeat most of the time. I'll take all the help I can get.
  #37   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-17, 09:51

Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 237.6/150/155 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 106%

Counting calories.

BAH!

I just went to several doctors. I have some medical issues, and my weight loss (60 pounds) could be seen as a related cause for concern... although, of course, I said that it was intentional and the result of a LC WOE.

The last doc asked how many calories a day I was eating and I had to say I have no idea.... I was just tracking carbs.

The doctors I've been seeing are quite split on low carb -- on the one hand, I'm hearing a lot of medical people say "yeah, low carb works" but they are still suspicious of it so they try to redefine it to fit ingrained thinking such as "fat is harmful" and "cholesterol is the big bad wolf."

They also don't think it is sustainable -- which I suppose is justified, as so many people do go off the wagon.

So the bad advice that I am continuing to get continues to be based on "eat less animal fats" and "whole grains are good for you."

Fortunately my primary doc is 90 percent on board with LCHF (he remains suspicious of bacon and has sustainability and cholesterol concerns -- but he will do a particle size test, so at least he is on board with that...!).
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-17, 10:02

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

There's the whole Matt Stone 180 degree health "eat lots of crappy foods high in sugar and fat" to repair the damage you've done to your metabolism while eating a low carb diet debacle that we had to put up with a few years ago. Let's throw Ray Peat under the bus while we're at it.

Also the advice to eat at least 100, sometimes 120 grams of carbohydrate a day to feed your brain. Small kids on the diet for epilepsy can get by on a ketogenic diet, their brain metabolism ratio to basal metabolism is 2 or more times that of an adult, (about 50 vs. 20 percent) if they can get by, I'm pretty sure most adults can.
  #39   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-17, 10:34

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

This isn't weight loss advice per say, but fits with theme of thread.
I love when people tell me low carb diets only result in lost water weight..... Um, tell a person who has lost 20 or 50 or 100 pounds, it was just water weight!

On the flip side, when a client goes off plan at holidays or on vacation, "omg I gained 4 pounds from dinner last night!" "Well not exactly, it is isn't possible that you gained 4 pounds fat, it is a combination of......" I am almost always cut off at that point for said rant to continue.....
  #40   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-17, 10:44

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

For me the damage isn't that Christmas Day off plan, it's the four or five days it can take to get back to normal--this year, I went home and binged on cheese for a few days, I finally did a day with unlimited heavy cream and very low protein, and my appetite was back to normal the next day. So I could see some real fat gain occurring, even if the actual day's calories doesn't do the job.
  #41   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-17, 10:51

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Absolutely, teaser- but I get this routine after a special night out that puts 3-4 pounds for my average client. And a week on vacation can be 10 pounds.

That is the type of drama I meant.
  #42   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-17, 10:53

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by andante
They also don't think it is sustainable -- which I suppose is justified, as so many people do go off the wagon.

When DANDR (Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution) came out in the early 2000's, I was one of dozens of my doctor's patients doing it. With his approval. Now, I'm the only one still doing it.

So, yeah.

I think the hardest, and best, advice to follow is: change the way you eat. That is what everyone has to do to make it stick; so many think of the way they eat to lose weight is a temporary thing. Even though that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, does it?
  #43   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-17, 17:22

Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 237.6/150/155 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 106%

Exactly, Werebear.

You do something that makes you fat. Then you do something that makes you thin. Then you go back to doing what made you fat...

What do you expect is gonna happen? But it's the DIET's fault????

My advice is to find foods you love on this plan. For me, that is almost limitless. And the satiety benefit has reduced my appetite. It IS hard to learn to eat in a whole new way, but I have to say -- I'm nine months in 60 pounds down -- and loving every meal.
  #44   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-17, 08:33

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by andante
... and loving every meal.

YES.

I eat absolutely delicious food, whenever I am hungry, and it seems like a miracle that this is also slimming and healthy.
  #45   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-17, 16:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205.5/171.0/155 Female 5 5
BF:
Progress: 68%

"Everyone cheats," said the 270 lb man, prediabetic, who gave up on LCHF because he thought he had gout. No, his shoe fit wrong and was pressing on his fat toe. And no, I don't cheat. Ever.