Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#1021   ^
Old Thu, Jan-18-18, 12:51

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

Nicco are your roads not bad? You are driving DS and you to the Y but I was assuming your roads were in tough shape??

hubby and I hit the little smokehouse meat store down the road WHO ALSO has tons of 'out of the ordinary products' and hubby spent the darn world! UGH...reminder, never take a bored hubby out to shop But I got chicken wings and I dusted them in baking powder and I have a ton in the oven now. Can't wait to try gonna divide my 1/2 into parm/garlic and buffalo sauce ones....I like to cook wings and pull out 1/2 way and then sauce/flavor them up cause I always seem to burn it all too much if I do it from the beginning.

Pasta and meatballs is a great choice for 'volume feeding' and easy on the provider!!

KM, yes I MUST have that meat soft! I want my meat falling apart to 'just' before mush but hubby likes his a bit firmer, so he pulls a bunch out to eat when he tests it and 'it feels' perfect to him, but I let mine go alot longer to get a very very very tender fall apart meat. The gravy is the bonus on it

You can do anything with it actually.
You can put a load over broccoli if ya love broccoli, or ya can put a load over some lc pasta or those 'miracle noodles' that are 0 carb. I have done that and while I hate the miracle noodles cause of texture, I have eaten a ton of it before and have lost serious lbs doing just that...and it was a filling thing to the tummy for me. Sadly tho I could not handle that texture but ya know, Blue has those lc enadame noodles she eats and that would be a plus with this meat over them.

No, never did chicken with gravy that way, cause, personally I hate all canned or jarred chicken gravy. has a funky taste to me.

Never did pulled pork with sauces cause I just love it plain, in eating terms, I pour the grease over some of the meat for more juicy meat and that is what I love so a sauce just doesn't come into play.

but experiment cause meat and 'lc sauces' are keys to eating real good and getting that comfort feeling while doing all the best for yourself

I just made shrimp sauteed in butter/tiny bit of oil and tons of Old Bay seasoning for kiddo with a load of fries she wanted. first meal of the day She ate like a queen and loved it. I laughed who in the heck is getting crazy meals like this on snow days LOL
she wanted dipping for the fries so I bought that 'queso consalsa' or whatever you call it cheese sauce.

well she left some shrimp and I dipped it in that cheese sauce and OMG it was so good. So now I am going to find a 'true real' cheese sauce to make and enjoy for dipping for myself. I can dip the world in cheese sauce ya know and over my meats it would be fab! off to experiment.

just chatting cause day is just yucky here but SO warm today, no ATV sledding, our road is melting very fast now.
Bummer, if I HAVE TO LIVE THIS, then give me some ATV sledding please
Sponsored Links
  #1022   ^
Old Thu, Jan-18-18, 17:20

Plan: KETOVORE
Stats: 234/179/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 70%

Trig- I am so jealous of cheese sauce I can hardly stand it! But hey awesome for you right!

I am TIRED ladies. Even though I work from home it was one fire after another from work I was putting out fires all day. Do not have have energy to deal with school. Did some light light reading, so next step is writing. Have 2 small discussion papers.
Have HUGE paper in next two weeks. I need to get jump start on that. The next two weeks are going to be well challenging.

I will say though I had some real encouragement yesterday- from someone who has been here done this. She said- "Ya know Jaz, it's hard in the beginning for a few months. then you settle into a routine! " and before you know it you are done!
Dang that was music to my ears. This person is a NP in our dept. She she not a academic snob- just a disciplined person. One foot in front of the other.

I didn't get the townhouse/ condo. They countered WAY above what I thought it was worth. Then top that with 250- monthly HOA fees that are worthless to me. Those are HIGH.
No work out room, and I would be responsible for roof, bugs, gutters, NO thank you.

That is alot of month at the price they wanted for nothing I would use. Use of a clubhouse means nothing to me.

So the hunt continues........ Not worried. Maybe I should be, but I am not.

Ok- made chicken and Chili- for the leftovers. I split up the chili and will freeze 3/4 of it. 1 serving of chicken left.

Portion control is issue as usual/ and moving!!!!!!! Struggle here- same dance different day. BUT this year is my year!!!!YES IT IS

I think personally I too am getting down with house bound, cold, and more cold. I just can't do anymore winter. It's getting to me. Good news up to 50 tomorrow. I need some 70'+++++++

Ok all - off to pack
  #1023   ^
Old Thu, Jan-18-18, 17:45

Plan: My own
Stats: 238/187/175 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress:

Hi all,

Real quick check in for me---had a very crabby day and feel like my teeth have become sharp and pointed, my ears have grown hairy, and eyes have bulged out.

IOW, not feeling chatty. Just wanted to check in and say ON PLAN, despite the fact that I would like to do a big bag of tortilla chips up, melt cheese all over them, and use my razor like teeth to tear through them. But I'm not going to do that.

Going to have a Cheeseburger w/fried egg and LC pickle relish on it for dinner. No bun. NO LC bread. Then I'm going to hide myself away and hope I wake up on my much sunnier side.
  #1024   ^
Old Thu, Jan-18-18, 18:25

BF:

BRB- be right back

Last edited by Jaz66 : Fri, Jan-19-18 at 04:41.
  #1025   ^
Old Fri, Jan-19-18, 05:06

BF:

Good Morning!

Don't have much to add except I woke up tired after a rough night of sleep. I am a very vivid dreamer. URGHHHHH.... Ever wake up and thankful it was just a dream? Do you all remember what you dream?
Plus I dream in color. How do I know that? Because in my dream I was trying on clothes. Tops and dresses with lace and yellows, and blues. It funny I can tell you exactly what that top looked like.
I ask people at work once if they remember their dreams. It was 50/50. Interesting.

WARMER TODAY!!!!!!!- It's going to be 60 this weekend. I have another paper to write, but I hope to play in the sunshine a little!

I was not stellar yesterday in my WOE and feel it today. I ate dairy and didn't care, I wanted some with my chili. I did and it's over. Lucky Gals- you all............

Schools STILL closed today- black ice in some patches. But I am going in- it has been a week since I have been in the office. But it's Friday. It will be a quite day.

Today is a new day! Personals tonight - have a great day ladies.

Hope you are feeling better Blue
  #1026   ^
Old Fri, Jan-19-18, 06:11

BF:

Jaz hang in there, the right place will fall in front of ya. This is your home for a while so you don't want to buy just anything, it has to fit ya and one will!

Cheese, yea lucky I can do it but I actually do not eat alot of it. Just with a few meals where it fits well and tastes good Cheese is not something I really need at all and all ZC'ers say if ya cut cheese out you lean up faster but I keep it cause I enjoy it on a few meals.

Dreams, I remember none. A few, which is rare, but if I have that one I remember and I feel like I was moving all the time in the dream I get up tired also. weird for sure. I kinda am glad I don't remember dreams, I don't know why but it suits me not to remember them LOL

Blue here is some sun for ya
I know those moods, I sure get into them. Another day, a new mood for ya!!

Hey all
cold still
warmer yesterday which was nice, melted alot of this nasty snow.
School closed today

all 3 of us are off to mom's later to visit, get out of the house. Might go out to lunch with mom, we shall see, that is IF SHE WANTS to get out also...she hates snowy roads etc so might just be a house visit, play by ear.

I am thinking Spring very hard guys, if ya all join me then maybe we can push it way way early

Nothing much doing.
Made some wings with that baking powder on them, I honestly didn't find them any crispier than when I make them plain. So not a step I will do again. They were great, just not a change enough to bother with that step for me.

Nothing much more to say. Usual cold and just trying to get thru the nasty days. Not moving much, eating a bit too big for being so inactive...bleck, whatever, I don't care, I don't gain but I never lose doing that LOL but will think about that later. I am not in a gung ho, let's lose another 10 lbs just yet. Cold has me hibernating and in a rotten mood and not in a good place to tackle any kinda weight loss thinking right now.

everyone have a fine day
  #1027   ^
Old Fri, Jan-19-18, 06:19

Plan: LC calorie counting
Stats: 223/157.8/145 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

Good Morning!

Oh Blue.....I so feel you. I hate it when I wake up with the pointy teeth. And poor DH when I wake up that way! Lately I've been waking up with not so much pointy teeth, but just dragging and feeling sad. I hope today is a better day for you.

I just watched the forecast and it is looking much better for the next 2 weeks. I know I need to get back out in the mornings for boot camp. I will feel better if I just get back to it. This winter has bothered me more than any I can remember. Oh well....this too shall pass.

I had a good day at work yesterday. Just busy enough. I'm back at it today 12:30 - 5:30. Should be a bit busier on a Friday afternoon. I'm sure the time will go quickly. I scored a deal yesterday at work. The girl working apparel alerted me to some gloves that were going on clearance. They are North Face gloves that were originally $30 and I got them for $4.49! Score!! I didn't really need gloves, but I couldn't let them there for that price!

My cat was outside in the cold for a few minutes and now has come in and installed herself on my lap on my fuzzy blanket. This is our morning ritual. I won't complain too much as she has been so good lately about not waking me up early. That will change once the weather gets nicer as she is anxious to be out early in the morning in the Spring/Summer.

Happy Friday everyone!
  #1028   ^
Old Fri, Jan-19-18, 08:20

Plan: General LC
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Good morning, friends! It is Fri-Yay!!

Trig- in response to your earlier question, nope, the roads were not bad. Driveways and walkways, sidewalks etc yes, plus side roads but main roads were fine.

So you sauce your wings halfway through? I don't sauce mine at all until I've cooked them, and then toss them at the end. Sorry the baking soda trick wasn't right for you.. sounds like your old method was best for ya.

Shrimp dipped in cheese sauce would never have occurred to me! Huh. I did have shrimp for lunch yesterday but just basically had it in a soup of homemade alfredo sauce. Yum!

Jaz- 250 a month for HOA seems like a lot to me also- I wonder what it covered? We don't have an HOA in our neighborhood and I am grateful for that. Some of them are so over the top ridiculous that I can't even take it.

Sorry this one didn't work out but it will likely be for the best. Something better is around the corner for you.

Hugs on feeling a little ick from the dairy intake. Hopefully it will run its course quickly.

Blue- Hugs to you too, on the crabby day. It happens sometimes and it sucks when it does. I hope today dawned with a brighter outlook for you.

Nope, I am not a dream-rememberer. The only ones I really remember are in times of stress- then I will dream about arguing/being angry with someone, or some kind of moral dilemma that is somehow reflective of some choice I am facing or worried about. Day to day I remember absolutely nothing.

Lori- Great deal on those gloves!! If you don't need them, you can gift them at Christmas!

We too are looking ahead to some nice warmer weather, in fact I believe it is supposed to be 55 degrees tomorrow. That will feel so warm!

••••••••••••••

Good day yesterday- got DS16 dropped off at 10:00 for school (exam week) and then went straight to the Y and got that in. Did some shopping at the store, then got home. I was hungry at this point but the twice-a-month cleaning crew was here and in the kitchen. I didn't get to eat until 1:30 for my first meal of the day and I was more than ready for it! I had shrimp in alfredo.

Dinner last night was chicken lazone. I knew DS16 liked it but was glad to see that DS19 liked it also. He can be sort of picky. I doubled up on the spices and the sauce, and used 6 chicken thighs.

Today DS16 has two exams and is out by noon. Will pick him up, then bring him home and take DS19 to get his two sport coats that were being altered. Other than that, a pretty chill day. I am ready to resume my normal schedule though. SO READY!! Two more days of this (Monday 8:15-10:15 school, Tuesday no school) and then life can return to a livable situation!

ILs coming tomorrow to spend the night. At least the house is clean and the bedroom is all set up!
  #1029   ^
Old Fri, Jan-19-18, 17:39

Plan: My own
Stats: 238/187/175 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress:

Hi all,

Sorry galy palies but it's going to be another day of no personals from me. Still wiped out from yesterday and trying to wrap my head around all that's ahead because of decisions made.

W/out going into laborious and boring details, we had our final meeting w/our financial planner yesterday. We were so hoping we could hold on to our house for at least 5 more years thru a reverse mortgage, but he hates that product and took us really deep, deep into the numbers and it is obvious to both of us that the cost/value thing just does not work out for us, even if it is doable.

So, sell the house we must. Need to have it on the market by late summer. I just cannot begin to tell you guys how much that will entail getting done in 6 months! We have some fixes to make, rooms to be re-painted, new fronts for kitchen cupboards, and most of all, probably the roof...although we may be able to do an easier less costly fix on that, but no knowing till spring when snow is gone. Not to mention 28 years of stuff to clean out. Yeah, this house has A LOT of storage, and we have used it all too well.

I've got a huge case of the sadz. It just got so real, leaving here. I KNOW once it's done and we're re-settled we'll be happy to have it behind us at a younger age. But for now, I just look around my beloved home and neighborhood and tear up. Been crying on and off all day, and y'know, it's been a good thing. This home has been so much to us, for so many years, so many memories, and we both still really LOVE it, so, it deserves some grief.

Time for tears is now, as I think once we throw ourselves into getting out of here, at the end of that we will be sailing much smoother, all this behind us, and by the time we've put all the work in, we'll be ready to leave, emotional transition made.

As soon as hubby returns from Panama, our life is going to go into high drive to get out of here. And that might be a good thing, as I/we need mobilization. Feel like I've been living these last few months in somewhat of a daze. Energy begets energy, so here's hoping for that silver lining.

Somehow thru all this, I have stayed on plan. Probably mostly because my stomach is so tight I have very little appetite. The shakes have made sure I'm not starving myself in an easy way that like I said, doesn't use up too much head space for prep and decisions, which I just don't seem to have right now. A bit of dinner does the rest of the trick. Heck of a way to lost weight, but I'll take it on the bright side.

Silver lining: Slipped into a size 12 pair of jeans today. Slight mushroom top, but nothing explosive, and over all, pretty comfortable Between the tears, a ray of sunshine.

Today just two shakes, bowl of crack slaw for dinner.

I HAVE been reading along with all kinds of thoughts and cares for what you guys have posted, but right now no mojo to reply, but did want y'all to know what's going on for me, and that Imay just be checkin' in for a bit just for the accountability, and hope y'all understand,...slthough y'all know me, that could change tomorrow!

Whatever, Just know I'll get this together, and then be back to my share of interaction, which is really my fave part of this thread!
  #1030   ^
Old Fri, Jan-19-18, 18:33

BF:

((((((((((( HUGS)))))))))))) BLUE......... I know you are sad. I am sad with you. And for good reason. You are right- tis the season for tears, as the get to work will come.

You know we are here for ya! The good news is you are taking care of you through it all. I know you will get through it. You have your hubby to hold hands with you together through this. That and your health!

Rest and take everyday one at a time!
-------------------------------------------------

Nothing much going here- long day at work. Will pack some this weekend. Brought home some boxes. Have school work and hopefully will get a walk in this weekend.

Off to watch my show. I put it on last night as was asleep before it started. TIRED.

#1031   ^
Old Sat, Jan-20-18, 05:47

Plan: LC calorie counting
Stats: 223/157.8/145 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

Good Morning!

Oh Blue...my heart aches for what you are going thru. You have every right to feel down about having to leave your home before you had planned. As you said, you will be fine once you actually get started on moving and get settled in a new place. Just another chapter in the story of you. We will be here when you need us.

Not much happening here. I have to work from 11-3 today. The place is buzzing getting ready for inventory. The big day is Wednesday. A lot of us have to work from 5AM - 2PM that day. Should be an experience.

Jaz...hope you have some time to enjoy the warmer weather this weekend. I know you have lots of school work to do.

Are you thawing out Trig? What a mess. Our temps are finally getting a bit more moderate this week. It's sad when I'm excited that it's in the 20's in the morning instead of single digits!

Nic...do you have company for the weekend? Hope it's a good one.

KMom...what is up with you this weekend?

Time for more coffee....have a great Saturday!
  #1032   ^
Old Sat, Jan-20-18, 06:15

BF:

Nicco you can never go wrong with shrimp in alfredo
Yea the baking powder was good, but see I cook SO crazy in that I burn the heck out of my wings anyway. I am one to eat certain foods cooked to death, like I hate kinda juicy wings, I want mine almost like cooked to leather jerky form, so the baking powder kinda didn't do 'anything extra' for me so that is a step I kinda just don't need to do.

We hit into the 50s so our roads are finally clearer. We have like 1 snow plow in NC and share it I think with SC, , so our roads stay worse for longer than usual for us around my area. Get this, kiddo off 3 days for snow...and monday and tues she has off for teacher workdays! Ohmy so ready for her to go back to school ya know and funny thing is she said she can't wait to go back

Lori, yea we are getting warmer and it is wonderful. Back to a more normal winter for us. I don't know how ya do PA winters anymore LOL as I did them and they are sure rough!!

Blue....Ahhhh, yes you will be going thru a giant turmoil of emotions right now. You will be up and down, positive and negative and into a 'what the hell' mood for a while. What the heck is life doing to us but ya know one thing, like you said, when the new place hits, it will become home and a whole new life adventure. So interesting on the reverse mortgage numbers not being any good in the long run thru it all? I kinda thought that was more of a good financial thing but it really is not? Good thing you had a financial advisor see those numbers etc and tell ya cause I bet many take a RM and do it on their own knowledge and get caught in a way. Glad you found the path tho that keeps you in good financial form. Happy you are getting thru it all good with LC also. Big stress can change us alot but you are doing very well

Hey all
warmer finally, into the 50s and all I wore yesterday was a flannel shirt as my 'coat' which I loved Went to mom's and chilled yesterday for 3 hrs, all good there.

kiddo wants school now, she is tired of being home. She has mon/tues off also...almost too long to be off when no trip or fun thing is planned.

I think we will try to hit that movie today to get out again.

nothing much doing
just going thru the winter motions waiting to get my butt to spring and open the darn pool , yes the frozen cold covered pool. Ahh I look at it with all that snow on it and think, HUH, that is just OH so wrong!

off to get the day moving, everyone have a good one!!
  #1033   ^
Old Sat, Jan-20-18, 08:29

Plan: General LC
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Oh Blue, as soon as I started to read my eyes welled up, and one paragraph in I was boohoo-ing right along with you. You aren't ready and it is less a choice you are making than a choice that has to be made, and that sucks. I do know how much you love your neighborhood and your home- it was clear to me when I visited you. I am so sorry.

I do know, and you do know because you are already saying it, that you will make the transition and come out on the other side seeing the benefits and positives that this change brings. Good on you for knowing it, even though you won't yet be feeling it. And at least the wondering is over and some mobilization can take place, you know? Action can be better than limbo and worry.

But God love ya, sweetie, and lots of love and hugs to you and your DH.
ps- CONGRATS on the 12!

Jaz- Good luck with the packing. When is the departure date again? Some time in February?

Lori- Hope your weekend goes well and work too, in prep for inventory.

Trig- I sort of like my wings well done too, which usually happens during the second round of heating up leftovers. I might try doing the same recipe, with spices but without the baking soda next time, just for comparison.

I am not a financial guru but I do Dave Ramsey recommends against reverse mortgages. Not sure the ins and outs of it, that is all I know about it, point blank.

Hope you get out to a movie. Which one do you plan to see? I still kinda want to get to see Jumanji but time has just not allowed for it.

Hey KMom!

••••••••••••••••••

So yeah, the ILs are coming today around 4. It will be fine by the time they get here but honestly, I sort of wish they weren't coming today. DH was out of town since Wednesday morning and just got back late last night, the kids have been here practically 24/7, and we are hosting a big shindig tomorrow at 1:30. I just would have liked a full down day. But it will be fine, better than I am imagining (it always is) and whatever. I need to get over the grumps about it. Plus they are taking all six of us out to a nice dinner so there's that!

DS19 was uncharacteristically grumpy yesterday and it was a surprise. It just isn't in his nature to be that way. After a while he apologized and said he was sorry, he just woke up sort of angry and he thinks he is just really ready to go back to school and resume his routine and activities etc. I totally get it and told him so. I really appreciated that he apologized all on his own. I had held my tongue because I have tried to train myself to allow him to have moods and bad days, and not depend on him to always be upbeat- that isn't fair to him. He cheered up pretty quickly after that.

Guess what? DS16 not only passed his Spanish midterm exam but he got a C! I am not one to be thrilled with a C but with this teacher, that is a HUGE accomplishment. His buddy got a 60. Last year both he and his buddy scored in the freaking FORTIES on their final exam. This teacher is just horrible and teaches all upper-level Spanish after the first year. The first year teacher teaches correctly- entry level high school Spanish- and then they get this other teacher and she teaches them COLLEGE LEVEL Spanish with no instruction happening in the middle. AND she tests them on things she doesn't teach or review. It was horrible last year, so stressful. It is crazy when kids are taking AP and Honors classes, or things like physics and doing fine, and then struggling their butts off in freaking Spanish. He has done well on his other exams and his grades are looking good for this year so far. I am really pleased for him and he is proud of himself. I just dropped him off for play practice.

Guess that is all that is happening around here. The usual, more or less!
  #1034   ^
Old Sat, Jan-20-18, 08:38

Plan: 20 net carbs
Stats: 250/210/175 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress:

Blue...

Yay for size 12 pants....but I don't like how it has happened, especially lately. But it is one thing to at least grin a little about.

I feel like sort of a big weight has been lifted for you. It is not the answer any of us wanted. We have captured your love and devotion to your home through your writings. I agree that as you get more into it, you will gradually accept it and look forward. Oh, I know you have accepted it now, but I mean more emotionally.

Going through everything. Yikes! I am working on that also. Seven kids! So many bins! But I am going through it little by little. So many times I see pictures of things that remind me of hubby, and I have to walk away. But then I go back.

If you are planning on having a garage sale, you could have a second one at my house. I have a great location for a garage sale. Right near a busy street and my daughter has really cool signs and banners. I would be happy to have a garage sale here. And SD would love to help! That would be a cool gift from us to you. Oh, and her boyfriend would want to help also. They get filled up doing things like that. And guaranteed my SD would be smiling almost the whole time!

Hang in there. I am really not that worried about you. You are very resilient. You are strong. You will embrace this and move forward. Oh, not yet. Right now there will be a plethora of tears and a ton of sadness. But it will not last. At least the deep stuff. Well, that is my opinion.

Good job keeping strong on the LC woe. It would be easy for me to go to "comfort food." You are not letting that happen. It will be one small, but important, bright spot along this journey to have clothes falling off! Well, at least loose!

SD and I are here to help in any way you need. I am not able to help much physically, but SD is amazing. In fact, she loves to be the "go-for" person. Loves it! So together we would be a strong team. Just put me in a chair and I can put things in boxes, or label, or wash things. I am a great organizer.

This is not said in jest. I mean it. We would be a strong team and would love to help you in any way we can. I know a lot of it is you going through things and other people can't help much, but if you think of a way you can use us...we will be there.

One of the many who admirer you...

K-Mom 10x4
  #1035   ^
Old Sat, Jan-20-18, 10:06

Plan: 20 net carbs
Stats: 250/210/175 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress:

Another thought, Blue...

I have plenty of room in my basement. How about if SD and I come up once in a while on a Saturday and take some boxes or bins and put them in my basement. I think I could easily take 30. SD would love this. That way you will start to see some light at the end of the tunnel as you get stuff out of your house. I have heard that the more empty a house... the better when trying to sell. I am thinking of things like Christmas decorations and other things you don't need now.

Then when you get your new place we can bring them there.

Can't begin to tell you how much it fills SD up to help someone.

And me too!
Closed Thread