Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-18-07, 05:00

Plan: semi-low carb
Stats: 127/127/114 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Easy Crock Pot Recipes

for a novice.

Hello:

I bought a low carb crock pot recipe book that was a disappointment. Most of the recipes are in the 20+ carb range. Many are in the 30s.

Could anyone recommend a few good crockpot recipes (preferably very low carb) for me to get started? I'd really like to start cooking with the crock pot and try low carb cooking in general.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-18-07, 05:56

Plan: my own version
Stats: 167.6/13.6/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 410%

Here are some great crockpot recipes, from another message board I frequent. These should help you get started

From Sherrielee:

Crock Pot Beef And Peppers

3 to 4 lb Round steak lean
2 Green peppers sliced thin
1/2 cup onions minced
2 cup Beef broth
3 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp Ground ginger
1 Garlic clove -- minced
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce

Cut the steak into serving size pieces. If desired you can brown the meat in a little hot oil before adding to crock pot. Place the thinly sliced pepper rings in bottom of crock pot, reserving a few to place on top of meat if desired. Arrange the meat on pepper, careful to not stack one piece directly on top of another. Mix all other ingredients and pour over meat and peppers.

Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for about 4 hours.

Crock Pot Chicken Marengo

3 to 4 lb Chicken cut up.
1 c White wine dry
1/2 lb Mushrooms fresh
2 pkg Spaghetti sauce mix
1 can chopped tomatoes

Place chicken parts in crock pot. Combine spaghetti sauce mix with wine; pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low 6-7 hours.
Turn control to high. Add tomatoes and mushrooms. Cover and cook on high 30-40 minutes.

Crock Pot Italian Chicken

3 to 4 pound boneless chicken breast
1 can chopped tomatoes
2-1/2 cups water
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. pepper
2 tsp. garlic powder
4 tsp. Oregano
1 pkg frozen collard greens, or your favorite greens

Place collard greens in crock pot and pour in water. Sprinkle all of the dry ingredients onto the chicken breasts and then place the chicken on top of the greens. Pour tomatoes over chicken. Cook on high or 6 to 8 hours. Sprinkle with parmesan just before serving!

Crock Pot Spaghetti Squash Steamed with Peppercorns

2 cups water
1 tablespoon peppercorns -- assortment
3 pounds spaghetti squash Sauce -- your choice - (4-6 cups)
4 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese -- optional

Place the water and peppercorns in an electric slow cooker.
Using a sturdy two-pronged fork or a paring knife, pierce the shell of
the squash in numerous places so it doesn't explode. Plate it in the
slow cooker. Cover and cook on low until the squash is tender, 7 to 9
hours.

Split, clean, and scoop out strands. Serve with your choice of sauce.

By Pugsbeat:

Crockpot Chicken Breasts in Italian Cream Sauce

Recipe By : Pugsbest
Serving Size : 4

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
4 chicken breast halves without skin
1 package Good Seasons Italian salad dressing mix
1/4 cup sherry
1/2 cup water
8 ounces cream cheese

Put chicken breasts in crock pot and sprinkle Iitalian salad dressing mix on top, add about 1/4 cup sherry and 1/2 cup water. Let cook on low aprox 3-4 hours if thawed and 6-8 hours if frozen. Remove chicken breasts and set aside. Add cream cheese, cut into chunks, and heat until cheese has melted. Stir with wire whisk to incorporate cream cheese better if your in a hurry. Return chicken breasts to crock pot until heated through. Can be served over steamed broccoli.

Per Serving: 158 Calories; 1g Fat (9.2% calories from fat); 27g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 68mg Cholesterol; 758mg Sodium.

By cchavez:

green chile roast

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2-l3lb beef or pork roast (I think beef is best)
1 can of rotel tomatoes with green chiles
1-2 can of chopped green chiles

cook all ingredients in crockpot on low for about 8-10 hrs.

Shred meat and serve with low carb tortillas and sour cream

This is one of my favorites:

Pepperocini Beef

Pepperocini Beef

one 4-5 lb roast in the crock pot
One jar of pepperocini's

Place roast in crockpot, Pour pepperocini's (entire contents of jar, including juice) over top of roast. Cook on high for 1/2 hour then reduce to low and cook for 8-10 hours.

I usually add in some veggies too, so I have a complete meal. Carots, green beans, etc.

This is spicy and adds an extra "kick" to the veggies. It's very good!

By Flowerpower:

Crockpot Carnitas

3 lb boneless pork roast (shoulder or butt), cut into bite size strips
1/2 c water
2 minced cloves garlic or 2 tsp. garlic powder
1 cup chopped onion
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp each: black pepper; cumin; oregano; lemon pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne

Combine ingredients in crockpot. Cook on high 1 hour, then low 8 hours. Remove pork with slotted spoon. Pour liquid into a nonstick skillet and boil down to about 1/2 c. Add pork and saute until browned.

Serve with sourcream and lowcarb tortillas if desired.

This is spicy but soooo good! I usually don't eat the peppers, the beef is excellent served on those microwaved cheddar or parmesan cheese chips things.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-18-07, 06:26

BF:
Default Thanks for the help!

I like the spicy suggestions.

I'm going to break out the crock pot tonight that I bought at Thanksgiving and have never used!

Thanks! Dinner tonight!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-07, 03:27

BF:

oops on the Green Chile Roast, thats supposed to be 2-3 pounds of the beef

Glad you found them helpful Athena. Let us know what you made and how you liked it.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-07, 03:45
Kitchen Experimenter

Plan: General LC Maintenance
Stats: 230/160/165 Male 70 inches
BF:way less now
Progress: 108%

Comfort Crockpot Vegetable Beef Soup (approx 60 carb for entire batch)

1 1/2 lb stew meat
5 cups beef broth
2 cups water
1 can 14.5 oz diced tomatoes
2 cups delicata squash cubed
1 small red onion chopped
1 cup celery chopped
2 cups fresh green beans
3 small zucchini quartered and cubed
5 spriggs fresh thyme
5 spriggs fresh oragano
5 spriggs fresh rosemary

In a heavy skillet sauté beef and onions until beef is browned.
Transfer to crockpot and add broth, water, tomatoes,squash, celery, green beans, and herb bundle.
Cook on low for 8 hours stirring every couple hours until veggies and beef are tender.
At 4 hours cube and add zucchini.

Enjoy! Yum!

#6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-07, 08:23

BF:
Default special thanks to both of you.

I finally pulled the crock pot out of the deep cabinet. (I bought it after Thanksgiving and there it sat!)

I have meetings tonight so I am cooking something for my family in mind.

Chicken breasts
Cream of mushroom soup
"Salad seasoning", but it says for other uses also
1 can of garbonzo beans

I hope they like it!

I have so many leftover cans of food from my sister who moved.

I was thrilled to find a jar of pepperoncinis and lots of green beans and tomatoes.

So, I will try one of your suggestions for a meal with me in mind also next.

Thanks for the recipes.

KevinPA: I had been eyeing your great recipes and pictures before.

I am looking forward to cooking. Thanks for the encouragement!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-07, 17:27

BF:

Sounds good, athena. Let us know how it turns out.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-07, 02:56

BF:
Default well, my husband said he didn't like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by yummys_gir
Sounds good, athena. Let us know how it turns out.

I should probably follow a strict recipe next time.

We have so many leftovers (my sister moved and gave us all her cans of food, etc.).

I put in the chicken breasts, cream of mushroom soup, garbonzo beans, green beans, and salad seasoning.

I had parent/teacher conferences so I didn't eat it. I thought it really looked good.

He said was just being honest. He said it was overcooked and the mixture of ingredients wasn't a good combination.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-07, 03:00

BF:
Default I'd really like to try again

My crockpot doesn't have a timer on it, only high, low, warm, and off.

I have some tilapia fillets in the freezer.

How does this sound?

Tilapia fillets (maybe 5), maybe a can of tuna, some sort of tomato sauce or diced tomatoes, and frozen mixed veggies or green beans? Add some cheese in there?

I could probably buy some stew meat and try kevinpa's recipe or use the meat and add the pepperoncini's for the other recipe.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-07, 03:34
Kitchen Experimenter

Plan: General LC Maintenance
Stats: 230/160/165 Male 70 inches
BF:way less now
Progress: 108%

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena11
I could probably buy some stew meat and try kevinpa's recipe or use the meat and add the pepperoncini's for the other recipe.

We tend to stay clear of the heat in our family but if that is something your family likes I guess the pepperoncini's will work in a veggie beef soup.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-07, 03:39

BF:
Default The kids wouldn't like them for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinpa
We tend to stay clear of the heat in our family but if that is something your family likes I guess the pepperoncini's will work in a veggie beef soup.

But my husband and I would both like it.

I would have to put in another veggie for the kids and scoop out the pepperoncinis on the kids' bowls.

Any suggestions how to manage the crockpot temperature better?

Should I put it on low instead of high for 6 to 8 hours?

Kevinpa: I had looked at your recipes before. You are quite an accomplished cook. I feel like I'm challenged , and frankly, quite unfamiliar with many of the ingredients and ideas, but I long to explore my creativity with cooking.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-22-07, 03:09

BF:

I've never done tilapia or any other type of fish ithe crockpot so I have no advice as to how it woud turn out.

I always cook my crockpot dishes on low. I never use the high or med temperature.

With adding veggies if you are going to cook it on low for 6-8 hours, you want to add veggies taht take a long time to cook or will not disinigrate or mush up when cooking for long periods of time.

Or,, if youa re going to be home while it cooks, you can add the veggies in midway through cooking.

I've never made anything that got overcooked, as far as meat. But I imagine fish may be more likely to overcook, being that its a thinner denser meat. I've not tried it, though, so I cannot say for sure.

A few nights ago, I made a turkey breast in the crockpot and sprinkled it with lemon pepper, salt, pepper, and added a tiny bit of water, then placed cut celery, green peppers and onions on top. Part way through cooking I added a mix of zucchini, squash, cauliflower and brocolli. It turned out really good.

If you want to add in another veggie for the high carbers in the house, you can add in potatoes and those can be added in when you first start cooking, since they take much longer than other veggies to cook and they hold up better to long cooking times.

I can post more crocpot recipes, if you'd like.

Vegetable soup and chili are very good made in the crockpot.

Another favorite is to put chicken or pork tenderloin in the crockpot and add seasonings, and a partial bottle of low carb BBQ sauce. Cook 6-8 hours on low, then use two forks to shred the cooked meat. Makes Great shredded BBQ. I usually eat mine on a plate topped with cheese or in a low carb tortilla. You can make enchilada meat this way too.

Another I like is to cut up round steak into very large pieces about the size of a deck of cards put in a can of mushroom soup or a can of tomatoes and some fresh mushrooms, and seasonings.

I often experiement and throw in whatever tickles my fancy. It usually turns out good.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-22-07, 07:29

BF:
Default Oh, always on low!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yummys_gir
I always cook my crockpot dishes on low. I never use the high or med temperature.

With adding veggies if you are going to cook it on low for 6-8 hours, you want to add veggies taht take a long time to cook or will not disinigrate or mush up when cooking for long periods of time.

Or,, if youa re going to be home while it cooks, you can add the veggies in midway through cooking.

A few nights ago, I made a turkey breast in the crockpot and sprinkled it with lemon pepper, salt, pepper, and added a tiny bit of water, then placed cut celery, green peppers and onions on top. Part way through cooking I added a mix of zucchini, squash, cauliflower and brocolli. It turned out really good.

If you want to add in another veggie for the high carbers in the house, you can add in potatoes and those can be added in when you first start cooking, since they take much longer than other veggies to cook and they hold up better to long cooking times.

I can post more crocpot recipes, if you'd like.

Vegetable soup and chili are very good made in the crockpot.

Another favorite is to put chicken or pork tenderloin in the crockpot and add seasonings, and a partial bottle of low carb BBQ sauce. Cook 6-8 hours on low, then use two forks to shred the cooked meat. Makes Great shredded BBQ. I usually eat mine on a plate topped with cheese or in a low carb tortilla. You can make enchilada meat this way too.

Another I like is to cut up round steak into very large pieces about the size of a deck of cards put in a can of mushroom soup or a can of tomatoes and some fresh mushrooms, and seasonings.

I often experiement and throw in whatever tickles my fancy. It usually turns out good.

I like the experimentation you mentioned with the slow cooker. Fun.

Your suggestions sound good!

Thank you. I would love to hear your recipes.

These suggestions sound appealing to everyone in the household.

What brand of low carb BBQ sauce do you recommend? Is it something that's stocked in stores?

Thanks!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Mar-22-07, 22:35

BF:

I usually use the KC Materpiece Classic Blend. Sometimes it can be hard to find. Many of the Super Walmarts do carry it though, and it is very inexpensive. Somewhere around $1.27 a bottle. Walden Farms makes one but it is much more expensive and it doesnt taste as good, in my opinion. It is also harder for most people to find, than the other I mentioned. If you cannot find those, you can make your own. There are lots of good recipes on the internet.

Or, you can buy another type in your local store. Just look for the lowest carb one you can find.

I will post some more crockpot recipes for you in a couple hours. I have to get them all together.

If your family likes spicy foods you will really like the recipe above for the Pepperocini beef. (It probably would be good on chicken too!) I usually add in some veggies with the beef, then pour the jar of pepperocini's over the entire thing. It gives a nice zip to the veggies.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Mar-23-07, 01:01

BF:

Here is a BBQ sauce recipe and you can dump this all directly in on top of your pork tenderloin or chicken!

16 ounces Contadina tomato sauce, 22 carbs
3 packets splenda (or more to taste)
2 tablespoons vinegar
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (I omit the cayenne pepper)
2 teaspoons liquid smoke flavoring
1 tablespoon syrup, sugar free maple, 1 carb
1/4 cup onion, minced

mix, pour over meat and let it cook all day on low

From another lowcarber

Crockpot Pizza Soup

1 to 1 1/2 lb Italian Sausage browned and crumbled
1/4 lb sliced pepperoni
1 Bell Pepper
1 med Onion chopped and sauted
2 cans beef broth
1 30 oz. can crushed tomatoes
oregano, basil, garlic powder, black pepper
topping parmesean and shredded mozzarella

Directions

Saute the onion, brown the sausage; add all ingredients to the crock pot.

Cook 6-8 hours on low.

Just before serving, add some parmesean cheese and stir.
Serve in individual soup bowls and top with a generous amount of shredded mozzarella.

From Crazyredhead:

Crockpot Chicken Cacciatore

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- chicken (any af your favorite pieces is fine - breast, leg, thigh, or a combination)
- 14 oz. can of stewed tomatoes
- wine (red or white)
- onions (sliced thin or in chunks)
- mushrooms (sliced)
- zucchini (cubed or sliced)

Grill chicken first so that it has some color. Does not need to be cooked through. Used chicken with skin on, but can do without as well. Throw in the veggies, the tomatoes and as much of the wine as you would like (used about 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup). Place chicken in crockpot, spoon some of the veggies and juices on top and around the chicken and cook on low for 7 to 9 hours. Absolutely delicious and the meat falls off the bone (literally). Most cacciatore recipes only call for mushrooms and onions the zucchini added to this is excellent.

From mkGretchen:

12 Lg Cabbage Leaves
1 Lb Ground Beef
2 Tsp Lemon Pepper
1/2 Tsp Seasoned Salt
1 Lg Egg
1 C Cauliflower Florets -- Cooked
1 C Tomato Sauce
1 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 Tbsp Splenda
1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar (or Lemon Juice)

Blanch the cabbage leaves in a kettle for 3 minute or until tender and wilted. MIx ground beef, lemon pepper, seasoned salt, egg and cauliflower. Place 1/4 cup of meat mixture in the center of cabbage leaf fold in sides then roll up. Put in slow cooker. In a small bowl mix tomato sauce, worchestershire, splenda and cider vinegar and pour over cabbage rolls. Slow cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4.

By Ana K.S :
Crock Pot Jumbalaya

1 chopped Bell Pepper
1 chopped Onion
2 Medium Tomatoes Chopped
1 Cup chopped Celery
1 Clove Garlic Crushed (I'll probably use two!)
2 tablespoons minced parsley
2 teaspoons thyme leaves
2 teaspoons oregano
1/8 teaspoon chilli pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups beef or chicken broth
4 oz smoked sausage (I use Turkey Sausage)
8 oz chicken breast
1/2 pound cooked shelled shrimp

Combine all ingredients and cook in a slow cooker on low 9-10 hours add shrimp in the last 30 minutes.

From Seriousin2003:
CornedBeef&Cabbage
I tried this today and had to stop myself from eating it all!
4-5lb corned beef brisket
1 cup of water
1 onion chopped
2 cloves of garlic

put these ingredients in the crockpot for 8-10 hrs on low
Then add 1 cabbage cut in quarters and cook on high for 2-3 hrs

From Jennigirl:
Chicken Adobo

5-6 chicken breasts
worshershire sauce
red wine vinegar
soy sauce

Pour equal parts of sauces over chicken. Cook on Low 6-8 hours

From MrsCnote6:

Crockpot - Pizza Chicken

8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 chopped onion
2 green bell peppers, cut into 1" pieces
2 c. jarred pizza sauce
1 c. shredded pizza cheese

Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
Place in a 3 - 4 quart crockpot/slow cooker.
Top with the onions and bell pepper.

Pour the pizza sauce over all.

Cover and cook on low for 4 - 5 hours, until chicken is thoroughly cooked.

Stir well. Sprinkle with cheese and let stand 5 minutes to melt cheese.

Makes 8 servings. 6 carbs per serving