Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-17-06, 18:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 223/186.2/150 Female 5'4"
BF:45%/40%/25%
Progress: 50%
Default meringue

I have tried twice to make meringue with splenda. It comes out tough and chewy. Is it possible to make a meringue out of spenda?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-17-06, 23:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Lots of people do. What's your recipe, including the steps you follow?

#3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-18-06, 03:24

The original recipe calls for six egg white beaten til thick then add 2/3 cups sugar and beat til stiff. Turns out real good.

The only difference I make is t replace the sugar with splenda. That turns out rubbery.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-18-06, 03:31
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yes I Will
The original recipe calls for six egg white beaten til thick then add 2/3 cups sugar and beat til stiff. Turns out real good.

The only difference I make is t replace the sugar with splenda. That turns out rubbery.

One big meringue (pavlova) or a bunch of small ones like cookies? Baked on parchment? How long? What temp oven? Etc.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-18-06, 03:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGirl
One big meringue (pavlova) or a bunch of small ones like cookies? Baked on parchment? How long? What temp oven? Etc.

I have tried it as the topping on rhubard custard squares. as a pavlova, as cookies. All came out the same.

On the squares the original recipe calls for it to be cooked at 350 for 12-15 min at 350. That is what I did with the squares with the sugar replaced with splenda.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-18-06, 11:11
Registered Member

Hmmmmmmm, it's a little odd, but that topping version for sure isn't getting cooked enough and the texturizing effect from sugar is missing.

Just a couple weeks ago this was discussed here in Kitchen Talk, and other times too. I'll save you a browse and search and recommend you go check out these threads, there's some great tips in there about added ingredients and cooking temperatures.

Pavlova Help
Baked Alaska

And there's always the classic advice from one of our own Moderators:
"I've seen several difference recipes for meringue in the "Sweet Treats" forum. [img]images/smilies/icon14.gif[/img] To get them, go to the forum, and on the right of the screen above the list of posts is the "search this forum" link. Type in 'meringue' and you'll get them."

But I think the Pavlova one will help the most right now...

Good luck.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-19-06, 09:43
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

This thread inspired me to try. Looked up the recipe to make meringues and adopted a pavlova recipe and just tried to make cookies. Not sure what I did wrong but they came out leathery and not at all crunchy. I did use some erithrytol because the splenda only stuff didn't taste good to me.

I need to try it again and be more organized.

I baked at 400' for 10 minutes then 1 hour at 250'. I left them in the cooling oven all night hoping they'd crunch up, but they never did!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-19-06, 11:21

Plan: Lower Carb
Stats: 271.7/219.7/219 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

Cream of Tartar is an ingredient I used in meringues. Is there a reason to leave it out, such as "carbiness", etc.? It gave air and rise to the egg whites.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-19-06, 11:30
Butter is Better!

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 234/220.4/160 Female 5"8.5"
BF:its back again!
Progress: 18%

I know in the original Dr Atkins diet revolution he makes a "diet Revolution roll" out of eggs whites mixed with cream of tarter till soft peaks form,then fold in the yolks mixed with sweetner, spoon into rolls and bake at 300 for one hour, so cream of tarter is ok. BTW I use these little rolls a lot.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-19-06, 11:33

Plan: Lower Carb
Stats: 271.7/219.7/219 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

Is the recipe in the 1972 version, Liddie? Sounds good! Are they rolls, like dinner rolls, or sweet rolls?
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jun-19-06, 12:45
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

okay now this sounds like a challenge lol
I made some meringues, they are in the oven now, though I dont have high hopes. They were still a little gritty even though I powdered my sweetener. Also, as I was putting them on the baking sheet it started to loosen. Will post results tonight.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jun-19-06, 13:40
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Cream of Tarter is ok for low carb.

I was thinking this morning that if I tweak the recipe some, these meringues would make nice rolls because of their lack of crunchiness.

I'm thinking my mistake might have been in adding a wee bit of liquid. I wanted them to be coffee flavored, so I used a tiny bit of water and some instant coffee crystals. Maybe I should have just let the coffee crystals dissolve in the egg whites.

I even put corn starch in them, as the original recipe suggested.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jun-19-06, 13:51
Registered Member

I have only ever made full-on macaroons, and I expected them to be chewy and not crisp (and I've added not/Sugar or a mix of vegetable gums including Xanthan, to get more body) so I'm at a loss. The pavlova is supposed to have a little gooeyness or chewiness too.

For a plain crisp meringue, I have tried out the Heavenly Desserts brand of Sugar-Free Fat-Free Meringues {www.d-litefulbaking.com} and I guarantee you they are so 'crisp', they crack apart in the mouth. After that they "goo down" a bit, just like sugary meringues.

So here's the ingredient list for those critters (Lemon flavor):

Modified Malt**, egg whites, water, natural lemon flavor, tumeric color, xanthan gum, salt, vinegar, sucralose (Splenda brand).

**there's a waiver about polyols, so the modified malt is a nice way of saying Maltitol. There's 4g polyol per 3 pieces total weight 4.5g.

In short, I'm guessing, based on experience, you *need* a sugar bulking and texturizing replacement for a crisp meringue, not just Splenda. The filler (maltodextrin/dextrose) in the Splenda is not enough.

A meringue, therefore, is technically "sugar" held together in a light (very light) protein matrix provided by egg whites.

Hope this helps.

#14   ^
Old Mon, Jun-19-06, 13:58
Butter is Better!

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 234/220.4/160 Female 5"8.5"
BF:its back again!
Progress: 18%

yes the 1972 version, I found a copy that was printed in 1973 under my cellar steps, it is like a dinner roll, depending how you pile up the merangue stuff you can shape it as you wish, i use it for hamburger rolls, too.I will copy the recipe for you.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jun-19-06, 13:59
Registered Member

ps: there's a discussion going on in Sweet Treats right now about Chocolate Macaroons.