Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 10:18
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/254/150 Female 64 in.
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default Sweet Potato Squash

This stuff is incredible. I have been craving sweet potatoes and I found this squash at the store. It is long and round with green and yellow and white stripes. The skin can be peeled then I steamed it in the micro and mashed it up with HW cream butter , splenda and cinn. I cannot tell you how good this was. It literally tasted like sweet potato. Oh it is also called delicata. Hope you can find this treasure where you are.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 10:21

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224/217/159 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Hi BgMama,

First of all, that's a great picture of you. You are so pretty. ( I think BG stands for Beautiful Great).

I haven't tried that squash. I've seen those colors in round ones but not long. I'll ask Safeway about it.

I've been using squashes too. They kind of satisfy my longing for potatoes. I do what you do, but also add a tad bit of Brown Sugar Twin. Only a little because I hate sugar twin taste.

Thanks for the referral and blessings as you continue on your LC journey!

Hugs, Annie-Pie
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 10:27
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Another ggood substatue would be pumpkin. It's very LC, versitile and yummy. I plan to make a pumpkin nut bake this Thanksgiving instead of sweet potatoes.

It also has massive amounts of Vitamin A
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 10:39
Registered Member

Stats: 293/254/150 Female 64 in.
BF:
Progress: 27%

Dear Annie-Pie,

You are the sweetest. I could just kiss you, you have made my day. As far as the name all the kids and all the kids friends have always called me Big Mama. I can't remember when they didn't call me that. What is funny is my daughter told me that if I keep losing weight that they will have to call me little mama. I like big mama it is definatly a term of enderment. By the way your new Grandbaby is so beautiful , I know you are so proud. Hugs right back atcha. Leslie
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 16:12

Stats: 320/224/175 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 66%

ShrinkingMama *grin* Do you happen to know the carb count for those? They sound wonderful.... I LOVE sweet potatoes! I will check around to see if I can find them too!!

thanks

~Debbie~LoveSong~

#6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 16:22

Stats: 158/134/130 Female 5.7
BF:
Progress: 86%

Ladybelle, do you have the recipe for your pumpkin nut bake? I sure would enjoy looking at it. I'm compiling pumpkin recipes to try emulate my fab sweet potato pie recipe for Thanksgiving. Maybe the sweet potato pumpkin will substitute well. I just have to figure out a good substitute for sweetened condensed milk! That's pretty much the core ingredient I'm trying to replicate without using sugar.

Congrats, Annie-Pie on the birth of your granddaughter. She is adorable and so tiny. Your family has a lot to give thanks for this year!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 18:14

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224/217/159 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Beautiful Gracious Mamma: They will have to change your name, all there is to it.

Greytscot:
Have you thought about posting your questions about condensed milk on the kitchen site? I would like a recipe for a LC version myself. I know in the past, I could make my own with butter, powdered milk and sugar. I wonder if we can use unsweetened soy milk instead and splenda? Karen probably has it figured out if we ask her.

Sorry this had nothing to do with squash but I would like to know more about the sweetened milk for the squash pies.

Annie
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 19:04
Resident Loud Mouth

BF:

The nut bake recipe can be found on the Atkins web site.

Savory Pumpkin-Nut Bake
Atkins Kitchen
You'll never miss sweet potatoes with this savory-sweet side dish.

12 large eggs, beaten
2 cups canned pumpkin
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 ounces mascarpone cheese, lightly whipped*
1/2 cup Atkins Sugar Free Pancake Syrup
1/4 cup pecans, chopped

1. In a mixer on high speed, whip eggs five minutes until thick.
2. Heat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, whisk pumpkin until smooth; gradually whisk in eggs, nutmeg, allspice, salt, mascarpone and syrup. Pour mixture into a buttered 9-inch x 13-inch baking pan. Bake 45 minutes.
3. Sprinkle chopped pecans evenly over top; bake 15 minutes more. Cool slightly before cutting.
* or 4 ounces softened cream cheese mixed with 1/2 cup cream.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 19:11

Stats: 286/219/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

I bet you could use cream instead of the condensed milk. It is actually like a custard because the eggs are the main ingredient that makes the pumpkin dishes gel. For the condensed milk you could probably use any milk product and it would still work but since the cream has the least carbs i'm sure it would work great!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 19:13

Stats: 286/219/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

Annie,
Your granddaughter looks so sweet!

I have a granddaughter that was born August 19th. I don't know how to get a picture of her in here though.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 19:27

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

I grow these in my garden! I only grow a couple of varieties and these are one of my favorites. I've been going to look up the carb count on them for a while now, so am looking for it now.

Annie-Pie, your little granddaughter is so precious! (Oh, like I need to tell you that? Geez!) Oh, just so sweet, I could go on and on and on!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 19:32

One website I found gave the following amount of carbs and fiber for a whole list of squash. I don't know how accurate this is, because I know some squash are higher carb than others (butternut & acorn vs. hubbard, for example).

Nutrition Facts (1 cup cooked, cubes)

Calories 79.95
Protein 1.82 grams
Carbohydrate 17.94 grams
Dietary Fiber 5.74 grams
Calcium 28.7 mg
Iron 0.67 mg
Potassium 895.85 mg
Folate 57.40 mcg
Vitamin A 7,291.85

But if this is even near accurate, look at the potassium! Holy cow! And peeps say potatoes and bananas are a 'good' source of potassium!

Okay, searched some more! I'm not finding a good list of squash-by-squash carbs. One website says they have between 4 and 7 carbs per one-half cup.

Of course, BGMama probably knows the carb count and I'm spinning my wheels for nothin!

Last edited by LilaCotton : Tue, Nov-11-03 at 19:44.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 21:10
Resident Loud Mouth

BF:

I don't think it's good to go by squash in general. Spaghetti squash and pumpkin are Lc while acorn is much higher.

Acorn is 13net for 1/2 cup bakeed, butternut is 11, while crookneck is only 2. Hubbard I get 8, scallop 2, and spaghetti 3. All these are net carbs for 1/2 cup serving baked. I don't see sweet potatoe squash in my counter though. Does it have any other names?

Aha, it is also called DELICATA SQUASH
Quote:
Also called sweet potato squash , the delicata squash has a pale yellow skin with medium green striations. Inside, the succulent yellow flesh tastes like a cross between sweet potatoes and butternut squash. The oblong delicata can range from 5 to 9 inches in length and 1 1/2 to 3 inches in diameter. It's in season from late summer through late fall. Choose squash that are heavy for their size; avoid those with soft spots. Delicata squash can be stored up to 3 weeks at an average room temperature. As with other winter squash, the delicata is best baked or steamed. It's a good source of potassium, iron and vitamins A and C

http://eat.epicurious.com/dictionar...ID=1404&ISWINE=

Unfortunetly i can't find a carb count anywhere for it. For basic winter type squash fitday has acorn, butternut, pumpkin, hubbard and spaghetti. That is about all my carb counter has as well.

Last edited by LadyBelle : Tue, Nov-11-03 at 21:12.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 01:19

LadyBelle, I'm sure that if I start digging I can find somewhere to get the carb count on Delicata. I agree, going by 'squash has so many carbs' isn't going to work very well. I remember seeing a label on one at the store with info on where to get the nutrition info that wasn't on the squash. I'll either write that company or call one of my organic seed companies as soon as I think about it--I know they'd know.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 07:06

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 185.5/162/154 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Totally off the subject but you ladies with grandbabies make me so jealous. Annie-Pie, that little girl is beautiful. She's so lucky to have you as a Grandmother.

My oldest (23) doesn't even have a girlfriend. He's always looking but so far, no luck. My daughter just started college so she'd better not make me a grandmother anytime soon. The youngest is not even 10 so we can forget about him for a bit.

I would try for one of my own but my DH had himself neutered 15 years ago (with my blessing at the time). He probably would be suspicious. Actually, considering my age, he would also be amazed!

If anyone finds the carb count for the squash, please post. I'm seen it in the store and I'm ready to give it a try if it doesn't have a high carb count like acorn squash.

Can anyone help me with this? I'm a real fan of white meat sweet potatoes and am not sure if the carb counts listed for sweet potatoes are for the white meat or the orange, yam type potatoes. I assume the yam type since they are cheaper and available everywhere. The yams are so much stronger tasting than the white meat and so different in color that I can't believe the carb counts would be the same. I'm afraid the white meat sweet potatoes may have a higher carb count since they are a bit closer to real potatoes in color and tecture. Most grocery stores around here don't carry "real" sweet potatoes, only the yam type (which are also real, just not in my family). I get mine at the Amish farmers market in town. I was going to mash half turnips/half sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving. Guess that would be safe no matter what the carb count is if DH and I don't eat too many. The kids prefer potatoes to the mashed turnips. Maybe this will keep everyone happy. The carb eaters always have the stuffing to gorge themselves on if they don't like the mashed mix.

Barb