Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 10:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 150/138/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 48%
Thumbs up Atkins Chocolate Royale Shake!

BLECH!!

Well, I just threw away 10 bucks! I could get passed the Splenda (which is nothing like sugar to me), but that soybean oil nearly caused me to lose everything I ate in the last few days! Are all the shakes this nasty or just Atkins? Sorry, Dr. Atkins but not your best product. Haven't tried any of his other products yet, but now I'm a little gun shy. Scrambled me an egg and nuked a couple pieces of bacon instead, but sure am getting tired of meat and eggs.

It seems that on the "induction" phase, you just don't get enough (almost none) veggies and fruit to be healthy. I'm concerned about that but still hanging in there...even though the scales haven't budged since my first initial loss of 9 pounds. Soooooo, are there any shakes worth buying, and what about my daily allowance of veggies and fruits...do I have to wait until I'm off the induction?

Good luck to all
Morgan
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 10:19
ArtificiallyFlavored

Stats: 260/252/200 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default I personally like....

The EAS Carb control shakes, the Strawberry Cream one is a lot like Strawberry Nestle Quick to me. I will admit that my least favorite flavor in ANY of the brands (Carb Solutions, Carb Control etc....) has been the chocolate flavors, they always seem chalky to me or just not right. The Carb Solutions Creamy Vanilla is awesome, but I've only found it once... : (

I have learned that some of the frankenfood is an aquired taste, when I first tried the Morning Start Cinnamon Bun bars I hated them... but the next time I tried it, it wasn't so bad. I suppose it is a matter of "forgetting" what the sugar laden stuff tasted like... LOL....

Good luck, don't give up.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 11:25

BF:
Default Re: I personally like....

Quote:
Originally posted by rishamoon
I suppose it is a matter of "forgetting" what the sugar laden stuff tasted like... LOL....

Good luck, don't give up.

Actually, I've neve been a sweets (sugar) eater so that part hasn't been a problem for me. But I can't get passed that soybean oil in Atkins shakes. I swear I can tell if I'm standing within 100 yards of SOY! Bleh!! Guess I'll just stick with the real food. Thanks!

Morgan
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-03, 06:32

Plan: Atkins plan
Stats: 163/147/135
BF:
Progress: 57%
Lightbulb atikins shakes

I change the shakes a bit, I have one of those smoothie machines, and use crushed ice, and more water than they say, a little whipping cream, vanilla, and it makes it a bit more tollerable, I don't think they are bad that way.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 13:26

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 193/167/150 Female 5'10?
BF:
Progress: 60%

The Eas advant edge carb control shakes are really good. www.eas.com click on advantedge and find out who sells them in your state. I was going to try the atkins shakes but my grocery store sells them for 10.99 (4 pack) and Eas are 6.99 (4pack)..So, forget that. Cindy
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-20-03, 11:49
Registered Member

Plan: Michael Thurman's 6 wk makeover
Stats: 175/159.5/125 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

I use the Carb solutions chocolate shake, mix it w/ Hansen's diet black cherry soda( splenda) and sometimes cream or whip cream and ice, I think it's really good. is also less money than Adkins.

I am stopping the Carbolite bars, thought they were really good, but really bother my stomach, and now hear they can stall wt loss, which I believe is my case. these are the "candy bars", not the protein bars.

also big thing now that soy can cause problems w/ Thyroid controversy, so watching that too!!!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 12:21
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 188/158/152 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 83%

Keto shakes are really good! They've got lots of sucralose in them, which makes me sick, but if you can handle it, they're yummy
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 13:48
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/bernstein
Stats: 277/267/160
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default Doctoring the shakes

There are endless ways to doctor up a shake. Flavor extracts and heavy cream are standards for me. I like to whip in some ice cubes sometimes.

If you don't like Atkins (and I do NOT like Atkins shakes) try others. don't just look for ones marketed specifically low carb: a lot of protein powder for shakes are low carb but are promoted for the protein.

I have a shake rarely and when I do it is because I need something easy that feels like a treat: maybe I am easy but a little coconut or almond in a creamy shake is luxury to me.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 19:47

Stats: 273/238/154
BF:oh-my-god!/37%/24%
Progress: 29%

It's actually really easy to make your own shakes.

I use whipping cream... up to a quarter cup if I'm feeling generous with myself. You can always use less... or more.

A scoop of vanilla flavour whey protein powder-- it seems to be the only kind that isn't chalky. If you like a thicker shake add a bit more.

Sweetner tablets-- five or six if you like it sweet. I use nutraweet tablets because they have virtually no carbs while the splenda tabs have 1 carb each. A suitable portion of DaVinci's syrup could be used in place of this if you wish... sweetener and flavouring in one.

Add the flavouring of your choice, top it up with filtered water from the fridge (the colder the better) to make 14 to 16 ounces total, and whizz it to death with a hand blender. This makes a very generous shake... it does keep in the fridge (whiz again before drinking) or you can easily adjust the ingredients to make less.

I've also used diet soda in place of the water... diet vanilla coke... ummm!

Flavourings... anything you like as long as you mind the carbs. The world is more than chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry.

Some I've found nice are:

A handful of raspberries, blackberries, or strawberries.

A tablespoon of SF butterscotch pudding/dessert mix, a generous quarter teaspoon of vanilla extract and a quarter teaspoon of cinnamon.

About a tablespoon of hershey's cocoa powder (you may want less- I like a strong chocolate flavour), a couple of extra sweetner tabs, and a quarter teaspoon vanilla extract. If you like mocha put in half teaspoon of instant coffee too... well nice.

A quarter teaspoon of lemon or orange extract (hint, if you replace part of the cream with a tablespoon of cream cheese this tastes like cheescake)

A quarter teaspoon coconut flavouring and, optional if you don't like the texture, a tablespoon of dried unsweetened or fresh grated coconut. Or you could replace part of the cream with coconut cream (never seen it in the states but easy to get in the UK)

A quarter teaspoon of almond extract... and just a dash of cinnamon on top.

A bit of nutmeg and a quarter teaspoon vanilla extract for a traditional English custard flavour.

And if you can think of any other variations please share them.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-03, 15:12

Plan: Whatever works
Stats: 300.5/200/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 61%
Lightbulb Shake Idea

This is an interesting thread to me....I am normally not a "shake" fan. I just never could see the sense in "drinking" the icecream. BUT..I never could give up coffee. OR espresso drinks.

When I went low-carb, I had a real dilemma...do I learn how to drink coffee black? I am incredibly picky..everything has to be really fresh, dark rich roast, bold with little acidity for me to tolerate it black. Most of the time I loaded my coffee with a flavored nondairy creamer...of course, knowing that it had all that sugar. I figured I'd rather find something to substitute for that flavor in my coffee. Plain heavy cream didn't do it; adding sweetener wasn't the solution; I tried Keto Milk (it says on the label you can use it for a creamer) and it was the YUKKIEST.....blech....

Getting back to this thread about shakes....I came up with the idea that if I tried one of the chocolate Atkins shakes and used it like I would use a liquid creamer, maybe it could work. Both Chocolate Delight and Chocolate Royale are FANTASTIC as a creamer!!! It's true..they're a bit more pricey than some of the other LC shakes I see, but one supermarket in town carries them in packs of 4 for less than $8.00...and I can justify the price by using it only as a creamer...and not drinking it as a shake....because, as I said earlier, I really don't like shakes!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 12:53

Plan: general low-carb
Stats: 120/118/110 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 20%

I tried the Atkins French vanilla shake the other day and almost vomited. It was creamy, and the inmitial 2 seconds were good, but it was ALL downhill after that. Anyway, I was thinking about french vanilla (don't like chocolate shakes) Keto shakes. At 18 bucks a pop though, I don't want to risk it.... does anyone know how the taste?
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 13:07
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 188/158/152 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 83%

Keto shakes are sooooooo good! What didn't you like about the Atkin's shakes, because I've never tried them.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 15:57

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amk82
Keto shakes are sooooooo good! What didn't you like about the Atkin's shakes, because I've never tried them.

I poured all my Atkins shakes down the drain! I honestly expected the drain to cough them up! Have been afraid to try the Keto ones the others were such a bad experience! I think it's the soybean oil in them. Dunno?
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 16:46
Don't Call Me Sugar

Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%
Smile shakage

I didn't like the premade shakes much. I read a tip from someone to try freezing them, and I still have one lurking in the fridge, so maybe I'll try that.

But making your own is totally different. I bought a big canister of Pro-Rated whey protein in "Bavarian Chocolate" flavor at Costco and it is fantastic. It has sucralose in it, and cocoa. It makes delish shakes, goes well with fruit or I can throw in a shot of espresso, ice cubes, whatever. Great stuff.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 13:57
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 310/254/190 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 47%

I love the Atkins Creamy Vanilla, I have one or two a day....