Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Jun-19-06, 14:12
Butter is Better!

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 234/220.4/160 Female 5"8.5"
BF:its back again!
Progress: 18%

Diet Revolution Rolls

Makes 6 rolls

pam spray
3 eggs separated
1/4 teaspoon cream of tarter
3 tablespoons cottage cheese
i package sugar twin

preheat oven to 300
separate eggs carefully, do not get any yolk in the whites
spray cookie sheet with pam[i skip this and use parchment paper]
beat egg whites with cream of tarter until whites are stiff but not dry
fold in yolks, cheese,and sugar twin, being careful not to break down egg whites,mix less then one minute
place carefully on the cookie sheet, gently putting one tablespoon full on top of another untill each roll is about two inches high. repeat untill you have six piles
bake at 300 for one hour, till rolls look like deli rolls

total grams 3.1
.5 grams per serving
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Jun-19-06, 14:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/220/205 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

As far as bulking agents go, polydextrose won't work in crisp meringues. It's too hygroscopic. The meringues never dry out enough.

Not sugar is supposed to work well in crisp meringues. It doesn't really provide a sugary texture, though, more of a packing peanut quality.

I'm not sure where to get it as of yet, but I'd use isomalt for this. Isomalt and not sugar.

Erythitol is very non hygroscopic, so it's possible that it could use be used in conjunction with polyd to counteract it's hygroscopicity. If I wanted to use the least amount of isomalt possible, then I might go with something like

1/4 Isomalt
1/4 Erythritol
1/4 Polyd
1/4 Not Sugar (equivalent)

For the bulk component and liquid splenda to make up for the missing sweetness. The erythritol might crystallize as it cools and the polyd might attract too much moisture. If so, they will need to be decreased.

From a laxation perspective, this should be a lot better than pure isomalt, which, in turn, should be an improvement over pure maltitol.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Jun-19-06, 21:30
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Just an interesting note, my leathery meringues got crisper or at least more firm, after a day sitting in the ziploc bag. I think it might have been the erythritol effect that Scott mentioned. They were decidely good, though still not as crunchy as they should have been.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Jun-19-06, 21:35
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

so far mine are crunchy on the outside but soft on the inside.
I turned the oven to 170 and I will let them sit like that for another hour or 2.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Jun-20-06, 08:57
Experimenter

BF:

I'm going to try again. I ate ALL my weird meringues last night. About 6 eggs worth...
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jun-20-06, 12:15
Butter Tastes Better

BF:

Mine are perfect today!
They turn into a powdery mess when I crush them in my hand. I will see if I can get a picture.

I only used 3 egg whites
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Jun-20-06, 12:35
Butter Tastes Better

BF:

Here we go
Sorry I couldnt take a better one, my camera battery was dying on me. Some of the pieces look bigger but thats becauce I clumped them all up together in a pile. It dissolves on your tongue and it pops into a big crunchy powdery mess when you bite into it. The only thing I dont totally care for is the cool mouth feel of the erythritol. Next time I make them I will make chocolate chip mint so that the cool mouth feel will not be so bad.

#23   ^
Old Tue, Jun-20-06, 13:24
Experimenter

BF:

How do you get them to come out in such a nice shape? Do you pipe them? Did you post your recipe and method?
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Jun-20-06, 13:39
Butter Tastes Better

BF:

yeah, I piped them. I pipe everything I can. I swear when something looks nicer it tastes better lol.

I think I used island girls method.

I used 3 egg whites, beat till foamy add 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
used 3/4 cup of sweetener (erythritol and splenda blend) (I thought it was a little too sweet but I remember using 1/4 cup sugar per egg white so I did the same thing. I ground the sweetener up until its a fine powder (so it will dissolve better into the egg white) and added it in while the egg whites were beating slowly in multiple additions. Beat until still peaks form then add 1 tsp of vanilla extract. Careful not to overbeat or they will get rubbery and deflate. I pipe them by putting the pastry bag in a tall cup, fold the sides around the outside of the cup and fill the bag with a spatula. Then I pipe them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. I initially preheated the oven for 250 but when I started smelling them in the other room and realized they were caramelizing I lowered the heat. I ended up having 2 cookie sheets. I put one on the top rack and one on the bottom rack and rotated them. I will probably do 225 next time for about 4 hours and then let them sit in the heat overnight.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Jun-20-06, 15:02
Experimenter

BF:

The most perfect meringues are one that are very crisp outside, but have some chewiness on the inside.

Maybe I'll have time to try this again tonight.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Jun-20-06, 19:19
Butter Tastes Better

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
The most perfect meringues are one that are very crisp outside, but have some chewiness on the inside.

Maybe I'll have time to try this again tonight.

Thats how they were last night but I love it when they are just 1 big crunch ball so I turned the oven to 170 and baked them for another 4 hours to dry them out even more.
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Jun-20-06, 22:43
Experimenter

BF:

Another failure for me tonight. Same result. I'm beginning to think this is an impossible task without sugar.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Jun-21-06, 09:22
Experimenter

BF:

Success finally! I baked at 250 for 2 hours and left them in the oven overnight and they came out crunchy. However, it isn't the same sort of crunch that normal meringues have. They're much lighter.

Oh gosh, I wish someone could invent un-sugar that had all the wonderful properties of sugar without the sugar!

I used about 1/4 cup of E. with a little more than 1/4 cup of splenda for 4 eggs. Could have stood to be a little sweeter. I also used about 1T of instant coffee which I powdered along with the sugars.