Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-16, 09:03
Registered Member

Plan: Primal
Stats: 165/112/112 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Need encouragement

Hi,

I posted recently asking for encouragement, and instead I ended up having to explain and defend the program I'm following. That was my fault for bringing up my program when really all I wanted was someone to tell me I can do this and to not give up. I made the mistake of thinking people would be familiar with my program and that they would support a non-mainstream program. I did get a few good tips, but mostly I ended up more frustrated than before that the conversation turned from its original intent.

So, I'm going to try again, and I'm going to try to be more direct about what I need and what I'm asking for. I do not want to discuss my specific program. I want to discuss what has helped you to keep going when the journey seems so long. I would appreciate encouragement to continue when the changes I need to make seem insurmoutable. I would love to hear what types of things have helped you when you feel alone in your journey and struggling to maintain what you have accomplished when you still have so far to go.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-16, 09:34

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyanne
...I want to discuss what has helped you to keep going when the journey seems so long.

The only thing I can offer you, that has made all the difference to me, is accepting my journey begins and ends today. Make a small difference today. Tomorrow will take care of itself.

Hopefully someone can be a better cheerleader than I and get your spirits revved up if that's what you need. I guess know this too, lot's of folks have trod similar paths. It can work for you.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-16, 10:02

Plan: Keto/Carnivore/Fasting
Stats: 190/143/144 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 102%

No matter what your plan is, make a commitment to stay 100% On Plan and you will have success. I would say every one on this board is sugar sensitive and we all have to find our own ways of finding what works to defeat that addiction. We get suggestions from other people who are in the same boat, but as individuals we have to find what works for each of us. It's not the same for everyone, but with persistence and patience you can do it.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-16, 10:03

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

In looking at the responses to your original post I do not see where had the need to "defend" your plan but only requests to explain an unknown plan so others may make suggestions to help you.

Also this is a low carb site so responses are naturally going to be from their LC experiences.

As I am not familiar with your program I do not know what suggestions to make that will help you.

Hope this helps
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-16, 14:00
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks! I guess ultimately the answer is to continue being my own best advocate, doing what I know is right for me, not letting anyone drag me down, and keep putting one foot in front of the other even when it seems difficult and slow.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-16, 14:23
Registered Member

BF:

I finally got my answer. I hope this helps others, too, who are struggling with stuckness.

"I don’t know what the future holds. I know it won’t help to go, 'I’m never going to do this again!' I’ve certainly sworn off things that didn’t serve me in the past, and then broke that vow not soon after. The greater I resist something, the more it seems to follow me.

What seems to help the most is the noticing. It’s being aware of my discomfort, whether I do something about it or not. I’d rather notice what’s going on, rather than sleep walk through an experience. However, if I do get caught up again, oh well. Soon I’ll become aware of what’s happening and be reconnected with myself again.

My experience is this kind of being with myself during something that doesn’t feel good, over time creates a healthy change. It’s not a quick straight line from problem to solution.

It’s more of an up and down gradual ascent to something that feels better. It’s often a solution that I couldn’t have thought of at first. It comes out of time, kindness, and connection. It’s born out of learning to care for my experience." --Brooks Palmer
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-11-16, 17:55
CN Owl

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

HELLO.. I follow Carb Nite Solutions plan and if you feel you are alone and defending your plan.. well..., I KNOW how that goes !

If you feel you are doing what is working for you, then stick to it.We have to live in our own skin.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-11-16, 18:21

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 212/169/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Hi Sidneyanne; congratulations on all the weight you've lost so far. That is amazing! You wrote:
Quote:
What seems to help the most is the noticing. It’s being aware of my discomfort, whether I do something about it or not. I’d rather notice what’s going on, rather than sleep walk through an experience. However, if I do get caught up again, oh well. Soon I’ll become aware of what’s happening and be reconnected with myself again.
That speaks volumes to me. It's about mindfulness. Being alert. When I over ate all the crap I used to eat, I slipped into this mindlessness and didn't pay attention to my body or how I felt or what I needed. Now that I'm LCHF I live more in the moment and have way more awareness of how I feel. Eating healthy really does help us be more in the moment. I wish you every success on your journey. Everyone feels lonely sometimes, whether it's on an eating plan or for other reasons. I find eating healthy and being mindful forces us to meet our needs in other areas, like social, spiritual etc. It just all round WAKES us up!! You should be proud of what you've accomplish
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-11-16, 19:34

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 215/158.6/145 Female 5'6"
BF:Follows Behind Me!
Progress: 81%

One day at a time and just keep on keeping on. I lost 100 back in 2006-2007. Yes, it took 18 months cause I'm a very slow loser...or a very slow learner! But I just kept on. Figure out your plan and keep doing it.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-12-16, 08:19
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you all so much! Your replies over the last couple of days have been very encouraging!

I'm actually at the point in my plan where it's time to give up sugar and carbs. I'm so happy and ready to do it! This is what I've been preparing my body for for a year now, and I know the results are going to be amazing.

My target date is Friday. I'm giving myself a few more days to get ready: get all the temptations out of the house, go to the store and stock up on healthy food, and create some meal plans. Plus it'll be easier on the weekend when I'm less rushed.

I wish you all the best on your journeys, too, no matter what plan you are doing. I really think there is no one right answer as to which diet or way of eating is best. It's a completely individual thing.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-09-16, 22:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 310/310/185 Male 69"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi Sydneyanne,
Losing weight on any plan takes guts. The best tip I can give you is to get back on plan when you mess up. I don't care what plan you follow, you will overeat the wrong foods at some point. The next meal will be on plan. Ever see a sports movie? The team always sucks in the first half. That's your bad meal. But then they perform like they were capable of and win the game. That's staying on your meal plan. Good luck!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-12-16, 18:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/194/150 Female 64"
BF:
Progress:

One day at a time. Believe in yourself. Above all, don't lose sight of where you are going! Best of luck to you!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Oct-13-16, 09:41
Registered Member

Plan: Partially dietitian
Stats: 161.4/158.8/148 Female 5'6.5"
BF:
Progress: 19%

Sydneyanne, I don't know if you are around this forum anymore, but I can relate to what you said in your original thread post. I choose to follow a dietitian prescribed "semi" low carb diet (60 mg net carbs or less/day) and in the past had others here tell me that it was a bad plan and that the dietitian didn't know what she was doing. In any case, I lost about 35 lbs in 6 months on my prescribed "semi" low carb diet and all of my blood work normalized. It's hard for me to buy in that it is a bad diet. It's different, but not bad.

I must say that I had to really work very hard to stay below 60 mg of net carbs when I was on the diet. I was a real starchy carb junkie so I think 60 mg net carbs was about as low as I could go. To me the extreme reduction to what I USED to eat was a challenge and I met that challenge with good results. My plan still allowed me to have the occasional starchy carb as a "treat" and also didn't (to me) seem to be overly depriving. We all have our good diet matches.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Oct-13-16, 11:57
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you so much for your reply! Yes, I am still around. I reached my goal weight a couple of months ago and have kept the weight off, so I'm very pleased. Now I'm working on exercising regularly, as well as maintaining a healthy diet. For me, it's harder to eat in a healthy way when I'm at a decent weight, so that's a challenge.

I think we all have to do what works best for us individually. If the plan your dietitian prescribed for you is working, more power to you! Since this is a low-carb, sugar-free forum, people you meet here are going to recommend a low-carb, sugar-free approach. Even if your approach is a little different, you can still learn a lot from everyone and receive lots of support.

Best wishes!