Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#226   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-15, 12:43
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Not sure if it was this thread, or another of Coachjeff's posts, but someone linked to the Trueresult meter.

I bought it but I'm getting very low numbers out of it. Like 10-20 points lower. Definitely lower by more than 10%.

Anyone else buy one of these?

I just contacted the manufacturer. Perhaps they'll send me the testing solution.
Sponsored Links
  #227   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-15, 10:05

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Uh oh.....When they took by blood glucose with the True Result at the lab last week, my glucose levels came out 20 pts lower than when I used my NovaMax seconds before. My NovaMax gave somewhat higher readings than my old Accu-chek Compact.

Does the testing solution really guarantee accuracy or does it just show strips are within that annoying 20% tolerance? I believe testing solution will come with mine. My meter should have been here Monday or Tuesday but seems the package took a detour from Florida to Alaska and has just made it back to the Seattle area today. And we wonder why USPS has troubles.....
  #228   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-15, 10:25
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

For those of us trying to fine tune our daily BG, the accuracy (tolerance) is a major factor. For diabetics with BG results off the chart, I don't think being exact matters much. For me, I find technique has a lot to do with the results. I often know when I screw up before the wonky results even display. I need a good clean sample to form a nice high bubble-like drop - then I need to stick the test strip right in the pool w/o smearing it. When I do it right, my results are more consistent and comparable to my other readings. Accurate? That has yet to be determined. But they are comparable results and I want to know what my BG is doing over time as much as I want to know how high or low it is accurately. Even with my cheap strips, I think I am at least getting the comparable results I am looking for.
  #229   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-15, 10:41

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

http://www.onetouch.com/support/pro...solution?page=2

Quote:
Compare the result displayed on the meter to the control solution range printed on the test strip vial. Each vial of test strips may have a different control solution range. If the results you get are not within this range, the meter and strips may not be working properly. Repeat the control solution test.

Mine says 6.5-8.6 mmol. That's 117-154 mg/dl. I wonder how tightly controlled the control solution itself is? If they could at least say "if the meter/strip reads the control solution perfectly, it should read 135 mg/dl" or something like that, that might be more useful. The stuff would have to have a more limited shelf life, especially after being opened and used, due to evaporation, sedimentation etc.

Most of the strips I've bought for my meter have been in a pretty tight range, assuming that my average fasting blood glucose hasn't changed much from purchase to purchase. I did have one set that read about 30 points higher than the sets bought before and after it.

If you could find a small, lean, non-diabetic child, their fasting blood glucose is likely in the 70's, that's a tighter range than they might be willing to admit to with the solution. I almost suggested this yesterday, inspired by Nancy's avatar (the blood of a small child and all that. Not to worry, dear. Just a little pin-prick...).
  #230   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-15, 10:42

Plan: Very Low Carb
Stats: 211/212/210 Male 72
BF:
Progress: -100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Not sure if it was this thread, or another of Coachjeff's posts, but someone linked to the Trueresult meter.

I bought it but I'm getting very low numbers out of it. Like 10-20 points lower. Definitely lower by more than 10%.

Anyone else buy one of these?

I just contacted the manufacturer. Perhaps they'll send me the testing solution.

Yikes!!!!

Hope I'm not being lulled into a false sense of security via falsely low reading from my True Result meter. My wife has an Accucheck Ultra...I'll test my True Result against her's to see what happens.

If it's a CONSISTENT 20 point lower reading than a higher end meter, I guess one could just "do the math"?

My strips are 18 cents per - my wife's about a dollar for each one. Huge difference.

But accurate data can be a life saver.
  #231   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-15, 10:48

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
My FBG and other readings are coming down slowly with IF and more fiberous veggie carbs. I do take 2T of vinegar before dinner but that's it.

One other point about FBG is back to that "dawn phenonemon". Does it get exaggerated with VLC? As some of you may have noticed by my posts, I am a very early riser, 4-5:30am. Almost always over 100 then. Taking a blood draw when the lab opens at 7am not much better, but wait to 9am, and it starts to look pretty good. Yesterday, was 105 at 5 am, 84 at 9 am (even after coffee with cream). Is this the normal extra pulse of glucose for a non-diabetic at dawn, or more so due VLC? Have no idea myself, just throwing out what I have noticed about timing. Doesn't explain my higher A1c.
Then again, it can be all back to VLC over the long term altering the gut microbiome for some people. But that opens a can of worms, or bacteria

I do't get up as early as you, but usually up by about 7 AM at latest. I also have morning FBG's over 100 EVERY time I measure. But, like you, they get into decent range a few hours later.

If 'they' ever do an FBG test on me for insurance, I'll make darn sure it doesn't happen within first few hours after rising.
  #232   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-15, 10:59

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesliean
Guess i'm a newbie with only two years keto but have been checking blood ketones, blood glucose, urine strips, and ketonix breath meter the whole time.

Fbg always around 105. Direct relationship to amount of protein eaten. When i was restricting protein to 70 grams and eating the rest fat my fbg was in the 80s..

Your experience seems to jive with what I've read/heard from Dr. Rosdale. He was perhaps the first "low carb doctor" to insist excess protein on LC diet is bad.

He says excess protein acts sort of like sugar. It keeps you from becoming fully fat adapted, and dependent upon glucose for fuel. And since you're not eating much glucose on an LC diet, your body, (within context of high protein intake) resorts to gluconeogensis for glucose.

Whereas eating just "adequate" protein, and getting your calories mostly from FAT, prevents this.

I do eat a lot of protein. A holdover from my bodybuilding days. I have an irrational fear that my muscles will melt away with lower protein.

But what the heck...I need to try this.

A high fat version of LC, rather than high protein.

I think it might also help "stabilize me" a bit mentally. My tendency towards hypoglycemic-like "attacks" is MUCH better on my current version of LC than it is on higher carb diets. But I feel like it could be even better.

I recall that it really struck me as interesting when Jimmy Moore said that a truly keto diet made his occasional "irritability issues" go away.

Of course anyone who suffers from hypo attacks know that feeling irritable is perhaps the MAIN symptom of such attacks.
  #233   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-15, 15:20
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'm curious if they fall because of having food (i.e. the cream in the coffee). I think that Peter from Hyperlipid said that high fasting glucose in a low carber meant they hadn't had breakfast yet.

Far be it from me to suggest something I couldn't do myself (skip my morning coffee) and see if it stays high.
  #234   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-15, 15:23

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I'm curious if they fall because of having food (i.e. the cream in the coffee). I think that Peter from Hyperlipid said that high fasting glucose in a low carber meant they hadn't had breakfast yet.

Far be it from me to suggest something I couldn't do myself (skip my morning coffee) and see if it stays high.

Now that is interesting indeed. Mind stays high until I eat breakfast. Which is sometimes hours after I arise. After I eat breakfast, it goes DOWN. Not in a hypoglycemic kinda way, but in a good way.
  #235   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-15, 16:43

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
My FBG and other readings are coming down slowly with IF and more fiberous veggie carbs. I do take 2T of vinegar before dinner but that's it.

One other point about FBG is back to that "dawn phenonemon". Does it get exaggerated with VLC? As some of you may have noticed by my posts, I am a very early riser, 4-5:30am. Almost always over 100 then. Taking a blood draw when the lab opens at 7am not much better, but wait to 9am, and it starts to look pretty good. Yesterday, was 105 at 5 am, 84 at 9 am (even after coffee with cream). Is this the normal extra pulse of glucose for a non-diabetic at dawn, or more so due VLC? Have no idea myself, just throwing out what I have noticed about timing. Doesn't explain my higher A1c.
Then again, it can be all back to VLC over the long term altering the gut microbiome for some people. But that opens a can of worms, or bacteria

Say, Janet, didn't you say that you attend meetings with Dr. Westman at his Duke diet clinic? If so, have you ever asked him about this phenomenon of high morning readings for long term low carbers? It would be great to hear his opinion on this.
  #236   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-15, 05:11

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I have been remiss about attending the monthly meetings for a while, and am no longer an active clinic patient. At two years into LC when my BG was already climbing, he reassured me mine was OK, but will ask again.