Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-09, 17:54

Plan: CALP since 2.16.09
Stats: 322/309/168 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 8%
Cool Hellers' website not rich in information

Hi Everyone,

Before I unwittingly ruffle feathers here as a new person, let me preface this by stating that I adore the Hellers and think their plan is hands down the best low-carb plan (and I have been on all the other major ones) that makes sense and apparently works for life. Being physicians, researchers, and scientists, they know exactly what they are talking about.

Am I missing something about their website? http://www.carbohydrateaddicts.com/ is their official website, correct?

I was very excited to find it and then, I admit, I was quite disappointed. As they are scientists and researchers, I was looking forward to find latest updates and information, and I found nothing. The FAQ section is miserly. Or did I miss a link or something that would take me to the information-rich part of the website?

As the Hellers' plan is developing and new things are being discovered over time (as I have seen in the CAD, CALP, and CAHHP books), I was hoping that I would get to learn them from the Drs. Heller on their website.

I thought I would ask my fellow CAD/CALP/CAHHP message board members if there are other sites they are using for CAD/CALP/CAHHP info. I have found some, but they are mostly Atkins or incompatible with the principles of Drs. Heller.

Thank you all!

Last edited by Eliza_Jazz : Sat, Feb-21-09 at 18:02.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-09, 08:32
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi-
yes, it is a LOUSY site. They don't update it at all. At this point, I think the Hellers just travel and write mystery novels. They are very into all the Disney theme parks- I am serious. So this plan is one you find on your own.
That said, I think this is the best website for CA plans. It is my favorite website for all things LC- which is why I contribute. There are 3 others I have found-

1] CA Friends group on Yahoo
2]SparkPeople site has a Carbohydrate Addicts team
3]Low Carb Friends has (had?) a carb addicts area too

I hope this helps- and if anyone has other ideas feel free to jump in.
E
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-09, 17:46

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enomarb
hi-
yes, it is a LOUSY site. They don't update it at all. At this point, I think the Hellers just travel and write mystery novels. They are very into all the Disney theme parks- I am serious. So this plan is one you find on your own.
That said, I think this is the best website for CA plans. It is my favorite website for all things LC- which is why I contribute. There are 3 others I have found-

1] CA Friends group on Yahoo
2]SparkPeople site has a Carbohydrate Addicts team
3]Low Carb Friends has (had?) a carb addicts area too

I hope this helps- and if anyone has other ideas feel free to jump in.
E

Thanks Eno,

I'll go check out Sparkpeople too. It is beyond me why, if this was such a labor of love for the Hellers, they would not follow through for their many supporters and the people who follow their plan.

It is disappointing. Of course, with all these book sales, etc., they are probably so wealthy, they don't have to lift a finger for the rest of their lives. And yet I wish a research assistant or associate of theirs would pick up the work and provide some support and guidance for those of us who have bought and read all the books but still need guidance.

I wish I could reach them (no contact us link on site) so I can write to them about this.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-09, 18:18
Registered Member

Plan: CALP
Stats: 232/188/165 Female 5'8 in.
BF:
Progress: 66%

I totally agree about the Heller's website. I first did this plan back in 2000 & checked out the site then. When I restarted CALP again this year, I checked the site out again, & I swear that nothing has changed! It almost seems like the Hellers were updating the plan w/CAD, CALP, etc. & then just stopped. It's a shame because it's really a great program, but in many ways it's almost a "retro" 90's diet now. In terms of other websites, I can only offer one other one: The CALP board on Ivillage - http://members.tripod.com/carbaddic...qs/cadvcalp.htm This is a really nice site that has recipes, tips, success stories & a fairly active board. Hope this helps!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-09, 17:54

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aria07
I totally agree about the Heller's website. I first did this plan back in 2000 & checked out the site then. When I restarted CALP again this year, I checked the site out again, & I swear that nothing has changed! It almost seems like the Hellers were updating the plan w/CAD, CALP, etc. & then just stopped. It's a shame because it's really a great program, but in many ways it's almost a "retro" 90's diet now. In terms of other websites, I can only offer one other one: The CALP board on Ivillage - http://members.tripod.com/carbaddic...qs/cadvcalp.htm This is a really nice site that has recipes, tips, success stories & a fairly active board. Hope this helps!

Aria,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check iVillage group out.

Lots of luck on your continued low carb quest

Eliza
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-05-09, 13:28

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

If you a write a letter to them, snail mail, and address it in care of their publisher, the publisher will forward it to them.

Geesh, doesn't that sound simply archaic in this day and age?!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-05-09, 17:51

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil' annie
If you a write a letter to them, snail mail, and address it in care of their publisher, the publisher will forward it to them.

Geesh, doesn't that sound simply archaic in this day and age?!

Snail or turtle should do it ... eventually

If you sell millions of books and hundreds of thousands follow your plan, it stands to reason you would want to support and encourage them. Other LC authors have great websites.

I feel abandoned by my LC idols. Oh why, oh why

I am making it one of my goals for this year to track them down and ask them if they plan to update their website. Not that they owe me an explanation, but as they say "If you don't ask, the answer is always no".
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-05-09, 18:59

BF:

Publishers get tons of snail mail for the authors whose books they publish.

I'm reading CALP, and I've had to put it down several times, simply because some of the intimate things shared by Rachael, in her long journey back to health are just so poignant.

You don't suppose they're "hiding" from their fans because they've gained a bunch of weight??
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-05-09, 19:21

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza_Jazz

I am making it one of my goals for this year to track them down and ask them if they plan to update their website. Not that they owe me an explanation, but as they say "If you don't ask, the answer is always no".

Say, I just went over to google and discovered something strange, the Hellers do NOT seem to be mentioned anywhere in Wikipedia.

If you do a search at google with this:

site:en.wikipedia.org/

along with: "low carbohydrate"

OR maybe with: "carbohydrate diet"

You will get scads of results, but nothing for "carbohydrate addict," and nothing for Rachel Heller.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-06-09, 06:41
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

The Hellers are traveling to Disney parks round the world and doing mystery novels. They seem to have retired from health care.
Tis is like an orphan plan- kept alive by those of us on the plan and people who find it from reading the books they find.
sigh.......
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-06-09, 06:48

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enomarb
The Hellers are traveling to Disney parks round the world and doing mystery novels. They seem to have retired from health care.
Tis is like an orphan plan- kept alive by those of us on the plan and people who find it from reading the books they find.
sigh.......

Mystery novels?

I'll have to check that out, find out the titles, how many of them there are.

As of the last decade many medical doctors have been said to have the profession - I have no numbers, but have read that in many states they can't afford malpractice insurance, and simply don't like working under the constraints of health insurance companies rules & regulations.

How old are they?

Perhaps they simply retired.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Mar-06-09, 06:53
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

hi-
I think they retired. I have been told that Rachel has back problems from all the years she was so heavy.

They are NOT medical doctors- they both have PhDs.

On the other hand, Michael Eades is still very active with Protein Power- he has a great blog. He and his wife are MDs.

Hi Lil- are you doing one of these plans now?
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Mar-06-09, 08:25

BF:

I've read some of the very oldest threads on this board, on the last two pages, and hope to continue reading a page of postings every day, working from the back, in the early years, to current day.

Yesterday I got a copy of CALP, but I'm having trouble reading it. I had to put it down when I read about that vile doctor screaming at her that she was a pig. Then last night I happened to open it up near the end where she mentions that she remembers every night as a child praying that she would wake up thin.... excrutiatingly sad to read.

I like the idea of CALP, because insofar as I understand it, if I keep the RM at a 30/30/30 ration, then I can actually eat things like beans & legumes, or even a bit of brown rice or oatmeal, and even an occasional gluten-free blueberry pancake -- my cravings while on Atkins are for yogurt, oatmeal, black beans, and red bean chili.

I can't see going for MONTHS without any of those foods, and also, having celiac disease so having to remain wheat & gluten free, it worries me to have NO fiber except for fresh salad veggie roughage which is pretty hard on my system.

I love salads, and I can eat them every day - but I need other fiber along with the raw veggies - like the fiber that beans & legumes & oatmeal provides.

So, yeah, I probably will start on the CALP, and continue reading the old postings. This board seems so slow in comparison to many of the other low carber forums, so I intent to NOT "interrupt" with any further inquiries.

I also found out that my library has all of their books, so I should be "up to speed" pretty quickly.

How long have you been following one of the plans?

::edit::NEVERMIND THE QUESTION -- I just noticed your sig!
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Mar-07-09, 08:26
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

hi Lil-
I love questions- and post all you want! Yes, this is a slow board because it is such a little known plan. Yes, you can eat all of your 'craves' at RMs.
I have been doing this over 5 years and it is wonderful.
Hope it is a good fit for you, too.
E
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Mar-07-09, 08:46

BF:

I never read any of their books - the title put me off.

I thought it referred to SUGAR lovers, people who can't stop eating cake or candy.

Had NO idea!!

Too bad I didn't read them, as the way I was eating naturally, is totally similar to what they advise.

It's really eerie.

When I quit smoking five years ago, I started reading all the current nutrition advice, and MADE myself eat breakfast and eat lots of "high protein" (HA!!) food like beans & legumes.

Well, total disaster - I not only gained weight, but also have a severe iron deficiency because all those foods which the NUTRITIONISTS said are "high iron" --- it's not bioavailable iron.

Anyway, I never used to eat breakfast, and I'd maybe have a tiny something for lunch, and very occasionally something to much in the late afternoon.

And then a supper.

The nutritionists are NUTS.

I finally got started in the right direction when I happened to read GOOD CALORIES, BAD CALORIES - and eventually found this board.

I had NO idea there were so many low carb diet plans.

AND I had NO idea that the way I started to eat as an adult..... was actually a full fledged diet plan. LOL

I'm also fascinated with intermittent fasting.