Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 10:22

Plan: Healthy Eating
Stats: 200/193/170 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default My mock danish isn't so mockish---help please?

Hi. I found the recipe for the mock danish the other day and have tried it yesterday and today.

First problem is....it blows up all over my microwave (I learned this on the 1st day)...so the 2nd day wasn't so bad.

But...even though the recipe calls for 2 minutes---I cooked it for 2 the first day (wayyy too long)...today I cooked it for 1 min 40 sec (too long again).

The first day I cooked it in a Corelle cereal/salad sized bowl---the 2nd day I cooked it in a custard cup.

Can anybody give me any hints as to how to make the "perfect" mock danish? What is the consistency supposed to be like?

The flavor was great--I used the Davinci syrup today---just a teaspoon if that. But it still seemed overcooked, plus it splattered all over the inside of the cover I had on it. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
"T"
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 10:30

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 193/167/150 Female 5'10?
BF:
Progress: 60%

I use a corning ware handled thing (looks like a big mug) and it is about 3 1/2 in high. Mine comes out good each time. I double the recipe sometimes and have been adding an extra oz of cream cheese. One time I under cooked it and put it back in some more and just watched it . It is supposed to be firm ,not runny or anything. I don't know why yours exploded. Sorry.
Cindy
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 13:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/234/200
BF:don't care!!
Progress: 24%

I have problems too. Would someone post a photo of what it's supposed to look like please?
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 14:55

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/180/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 46%

I've never made it, but just a suggestion, maybe try a lower power, are you cooking it on hi??? Maybe the recipe calls for hi, never checked it out. Just a thought!!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 15:22
Contributing Member

Stats: 166/151/145 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 71%

I too found this to be a bit of a challenge. I think it depends on the size of the eggs, the amount of cream cheese and cream and the microwave oven. This is alot of variables and it has taken me several trys to get the dish the consistency that pleases me. I like it the consistency of a flan or custard and found the 2 minutes waaay too long...made it rubbery. Microwave ovens vary so you'll have to experiment, but here's my version:

2 oz cream cheese and approximately 1 TB cream in a bowl with rather high sides. Cook in microwave for 30 sec. on 40% power. Remove and stir until smooth. Add several drops of vanilla and 1 pkg Spenda and stir. Add 2 eggs (mine are extra large) one at a time and stir until smooth. Cook in microwave for 1.7 minutes on 70% power. Add a little butter and cinnamon and enjoy!

I experimented with both the amount of time and the power level so you might have to do the same. I have also found that it has a nicer consistency if I "cut" it up with the butter and cinnamon.

Think I'll not wait for breakfast....yummmm
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 16:11

Stats: 220/182.5/145 Female 63 inches
BF:alot!
Progress: 50%

You may wish to adjust cooking time and power setting.

To keep carbs down I use only 1.5 oz cream cheese, 1 large egg, splash of cream, 1 splenda and flavoring (vanilla or banana extract or cinnamon).

First I soften the cream cheese slightly in microwave (10-15 secs). Then beat in egg, cream, splenda and flavor (cream cheese is still a bit lumpy).

then microwave about 1 1/2 mins on the defrost setting (or 30%)...still a bit soft in the middle..you can cook longer if you don't like this.

Hope this works for you! This whole recipe is only 4 carbs

Froufie
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 18:13

Stats: 235/180.2/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

My recipe consist of:
2 oz cream cheese
1 large egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tb of splenda
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon

I nuke the cream cheese for about 5 seconds just enough to take the chill out. Then stir all the remaining ingredients. I nuke it for about 1 min & 30 seconds. Than throw on 1tb of butter. It is so good. All micros cook differently. Start on slow. Put it in for a minute, then check it. If you think it's not right go ahead a throw it in for another 10 seconds or so. Good luck.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 18:15

Plan: Healthy Eating
Stats: 200/193/170 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 23%

Thanks you guys. I will try the suggestions and see what happens. For one thing I noticed the recipe (I got on this site) doesn't show to add any cream---maybe that is my problem? The egg just explodes everywhere.

Here's the recipe I was following:

By : Nat and Members of the LowCarb Support Forum

Mock Danish

2 oz cream cheese (soften in microwave)
1 egg
1 tblspn splenda
1 tsp lemon concentrate
1/2 tsp vanilla

Mix softened cream cheese and egg.
Add remaining ingredients.
Microwave on high for 2 minutes.

Nutrition Facts of Original Recipe

Amount Per 1 serving
Calories 167.76
Calories from Fat 117

Total Fat 13g 20%
Saturated Fat 6.87g 34%
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.987g
Monounsaturated Fat 4.28g
Sodium 210mg 9%
Potassium 170mg 5%
Total Carbohydrate 4g 1%
Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
Protein 11.43g 23%

Thanks,
"T"
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 05:11

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I agree that 1) too long in microwave 2) try lower setting

I was surprised that so many people use cream-I didn't see that in the original recipe and have never used it. I use about 1.5 oz cream cheese, nuke it for about 15 sec. before adding egg, 1/2 pk. splenda, 1 tbsp. lemon juice (not extract) and mix together. I like to leave the cream cheese lumpy so you can taste little 'pockets' of cream cheese. I find that 1 tbsp of lemon juice makes it really lemon-y and tastes like the filling in a cheese danish. Takes away any egg taste, too, if you don't feel like eggs for breakfast. I microwave it for about 1.5 mins on 70%, checking on it after 1 min. I've tried it with cocoa, pretty good, and with cinnamon, good. I haven't topped it with butter, tho. I'll have to try that one.

BTW, I use a Corelle cereal bowl for mine, but have used tupperware-like container, too.

N.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 08:06
Contributing Member

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 120/120/106 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:

Help!!!! I just started here yesterday & somehow found the recipes but when I went to Karens Kitchen couldn't locate them again. I wanted to put some in a folder like the 100 ways to make hamberger & others but couldn't do that either so decided to just print them. Now can't even locate it. Any ideas? TIA
Deanna
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 08:28

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 193/167/150 Female 5'10?
BF:
Progress: 60%

Deanna, I just click on favorites and put it in a recipe folder. I also put some (copy and paste) in Notebook so I can copy and paste them all at once in an email to my mom in florida . I am not very great on the computerm but that has worked for me.
Cindy
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 08:35
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
But it still seemed overcooked, plus it splattered all over the inside of the cover I had on it. What am I doing wrong?

Don't put a lid on it. That's probably what's causing the explosion and the overcooking. I've used a 16 oz (500 ml) container for it and take it out while it's still barely jiggly. It firms up as it sits.

salad, the Kitchen Forum starts here:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2

The burgers are in the Quick Meals and Snacks section.

Karen
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 09:40
Contributing Member

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 120/120/106 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the help. I'm slowly learning the puter & about diabetes.
Deanna