Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 18:26

Plan: CAD + South Beach Diet
Stats: 230/177/160
BF:
Progress: 76%

sorry the begining of my post is messed up. used up all the space of the quick reply.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 18:26
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Not offending me. I think everyone should think for themselves and find what works for them. I also believe that the more knowledge you gain, the more likely you are to succeed in your goals.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 19:49
Registered Member

Plan: Aaisier Zuccarum Plan
Stats: // Female 52
BF:
Progress: 34%

I am actually so not offended that I am more ..... grateful that there are people out here that keep me thinking and learning more. I read that post after reading some today and I thought...now I have that impression from reading, how did I get from point A to point B, if the book doesn't actually just say that? I am one for knowledge. I want to know all I can ...ie, the library finally limited me the last visit to 3 books on this topic
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 10:07
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I'm glad I can ask. WhenI first heard of CAD, I was told you can "eat anything you want" at the reward meal..after reading the book, I realized that it was in a rational, balanced way. Unfortunately, I've even been told on this board that you can stuff yourself with all the carbs you want in that hour, and when I asked about the balancing with protein and low-carb veggies, have been told more than once that you don't HAVE to... After re-reading the book, I still see very clear direction to keep the reward meal balanced. In the CAHHP, it's even MORE emphasized...so I don't know where they get the idea they can eat just pasta and sugar! Unless it's from Rachael's description of her meals when she was "discovering" CAD?
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 11:33

Plan: Keto
Stats: 176/142.2/130 Female 5' 4"
BF:41%/33%/??
Progress: 73%

Dear Potatofree: In the very first edition of the Carbohydrate Addicts Diet (refered to as CAD here) the Heller's said you could eat anything you wanted at reward meal. I don't have my book here so I can't quote but I know I read something like - have a dessert even two if you want. In the more recent book Carbohydrate Addicts Lifespan Program (called CALP) and in the Carbohydrate Addicts Health Heart book they stress the balanced reward meal. They found with clinical experience that most carb addicts interpreted the reward meal as a carb free for all, instead of a balanced feast (that's their term). Even in a new copy of CAD I bought I found a section on balancing the reward meal. For me the original version of CAD worked well for the first 15-20 lbs lost, then I had to "tighten up", move towards a more CALP eating plan, no diet soda, better balance at reward meal (I am far from perfect there). I think CAD/CALP is a wonderful way of eating, I hope you will give it a try. I believe it is a lifelong plan and as such the amount of flex one has varies from person to person and even from time to time in one persons life. That is why you will find differences presented to you on this board...because we are all individuals...that's the beauty of this plan...if you are a carb addict it will work for you, no matter were you are in you weight loss journey.

That's my two cents worth.

Last edited by Jalera2003 : Tue, Sep-30-03 at 11:35.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 11:35
Registered Member

Plan: Aaisier Zuccarum Plan
Stats: // Female 52
BF:
Progress: 34%

This was one of the things that perplexed me and I read about a lot before making the switch. Now, I've got only a mere 15 days under my belt so my experience is very limited to say the least. But ..aint there always a but? lol
Anyway ... here's what I have gathered from reading the book, reading other's experiences (journals) and from my own time so far on this.
First off, I have yet to read from one person who has been on this woe for a long period of time and is successful, say its okay to have binges for rms. I have heard them say when an rm isn't as balanced as you'd like it to be, to not beat up yourself over it, that balance comes with time and healing. And I can already see how my body is adjusting and healing ... so the carbs aren't as much of a focus in my rm's. Actually, I also feel that food ...period, is less of a focus today than it was 15 days ago. When I first started CAD, I could think of a zillion things I wanted in my rm and gave it lots of thought in order to decide exactly what I wanted. So that tells me what they say about just keep on keeping on and it will get better, is true.
I read long before starting it, the "difference" in the CAD book vs the CALP, that in cad, it makes no mention of making sure the rm is balanced by 1/3 portions, but in calp, it does. However, cad does say balance the meal sensibly.
Now, my take on it all is this, please note, this is not written in any book, its my thoughts.
When I read the science behind this woe, it makes sense to me that if you wanted nothing but carbs for an rm for the day, it really wouldn't matter too much. It says in the book that insulin is released in 2 stages. The first stage release at the first taste, at an rm is low because your body expects a cm, with low carbs. So if you were to eat say 2 cups of a lc veggies and 8 oz's of meat first, or if it were 3 cookies and a cup of pasta, you're still gonna get the same insulin release. I know a balanced rm is better for me. I get vitimans, minerals and other goodies from foods that aren't empty. It is good for the body. So its good and reasonable for me to try to balance. Does it make a difference in my cravings either way? I'm still an experiment in progress, but so far, it hasn't. Has it made a difference in weight loss for me? So far, not yet. I think for me, I approach this everyday with the idea, I can have whatever and how much I want at that rm. It makes me feel comforted and secure. Most of the time because I give myself this permission, I end up eating a much better balance and eat a whole lot less than I thought I could.
I just keep it simple. Bottom line for ME is, its a process, a journey. I don't set any limits for myself except for the cm rules, 15 min coffee/cream rule and the 60 min rule. I do try to balance the rm, but if it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen and I'm still content. I don't feel like I've jumped off some wagon, and the horses trampled me too.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 17:27
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

In my copy of CAD, although the phrase "eat anything you want" is repeated MANY times, it devotes pp 118-122 almost exclusively to balancing your reward meal to minimize the impact of the carbs. It even has a diagram of the proportions the food should have on your plate....
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 13:00

Plan: Keto
Stats: 176/142.2/130 Female 5' 4"
BF:41%/33%/??
Progress: 73%

That's the newer copy.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 02:36

Plan: Sugar Busters to Atkins to CALP to The Stephanie Diet :)
Stats: 163/141.8/128 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by IthinkIcan
I just keep it simple. Bottom line for ME is, its a process, a journey. I don't set any limits for myself except for the cm rules, 15 min coffee/cream rule and the 60 min rule. I do try to balance the rm, but if it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen and I'm still content. I don't feel like I've jumped off some wagon, and the horses trampled me too.

IthinkIcan, I find that very comforting! I'm about a week ahead of you on this woe but I think you've got it figured out better than me from a personal point of view. I try and eat balanced RMs every day, and I'm doing reasonably ok at it, but when I don't manage it I feel that I've been naughty Of course that leads me straight back into a cycle of guilt-depression-despair. If this woe should be teaching us anything, it's that we need to stop punishing ourselves about our eating. For myself, I find that much more difficult than maintaining the discipline of a diet. That's maybe not too surprising ... my mother was obsessed with dieting and weight all through my childhood, and actually sent a note to my school when I was six saying that I shouldn't have dessert. I was just a slightly plump kid at the time, nothing more. Ever since then, I've been yo-yoing ... 45 years of my life feeling obsessed with and guilty about food! I guess it's not surprising that it takes more than three weeks to change that kind of mindset. Thanks for your good sense