Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: How much water per day?
less than 2 L (64oz) 16 21.62%
2 - 3 L (64-98oz) 37 50.00%
3 - 4 L (98-130oz) 15 20.27%
more than 4 L (130 oz) 6 8.11%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

#16   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 08:27
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

All carbs break down into sugar. However refined sugar is, of itself, a food. You can be allergic to any food. Many people are allergic to refined sugar but not allergic to fruits, breads, real maple syrup, etc. You can find information on food allergies and their reactions on the net and in many diet and nutrition books.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 11:53

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 330/258.2/150 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%

I went in for diabetes testing (fasting & A1c) and was told that it wasn't high enough to diagnose diabetes, that I had what's called Impaired Glucose Tolerance. Could that be roughly the same as an allergy? I haven't tried other forms of sweeteners like honey or maple syrup. I don't think I will. LOL. I'm overjoyed that I can have fruit, and with that and Splenda I am good to go for sweet treats. Maybe I will risk it when I get to my goal weight and see if my blood sugar can tolerate it then. I mean the stuff like honey, maple syrup, etc. Not the refined crap. I have other reasons for hating that.

Thanks for the info. I will do some research. For now I am going to go with the flow. Heck, I already tell people I am diabetic, to avoid questions at restaurants when I tell them no sugar, etc. I don't know if I would get away with saying I am 'allergic' to sugar. I've never heard that before. LOL

Melissa
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 12:51

Plan: cad/calp
Stats: 200/186/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%

I'm sorry but I've been away awhile and I can't figure out what AS is. Please explain. I can eat sugar free jello and diet drinks once a day outside the reward meal and it doesn't seem to affect myself.Everyone is different and has to experiment.Wawtigress
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 19:14
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

AS Artificial Sugar. Some react. Some don't. It's best to do the program without it for the first three weeks to get a baseline before adding anything that can stall or cause cravings. That way you know what your normal is and can feel the difference.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 12:32

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 191/189/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Oh, dear, yes!
Progress: 5%

Good afternoon,
I am a real guzzler -- 144 to 200 oz of water a day. When I go, I go! Most of it is plain water; sometimes, I like essence-flavored seltzer water with no sugar and no AS. However, on another thread, I learned that it may stall some people. So, these first few weeks, I'll do without.

CarbJunky2, you asked about stevia. I can't say if it will affect your cravings or not, but I have had good luck with it, especially in hot beverages. And it doesn't affect my blood glucose levels, so it doesn't give me an insulin spike. Perhaps because most of my hot beverages are with breakfast and plenty of protein? I guess you'll have to try it yourself. I personally like to get the purified stevia extract in a bottle, by Now, and dip the back end of a spoon in the bottle for about 1/8 to 1/16 teaspoon for an average pot of tea. It's really sweet, so you have to dilute it appropriately. And the purified extract in a bottle doesn't have added carbs like some of the packets do.

Thanks, Zuleika, for the info on apple cider vinegar. Even though I don't get TOM any more, sometimes I just feel bloated.

It may be a good thing that I'm allergic to Aspartame and Acesulfame K, and that Splenda (sucralose) messes with my blood sugar.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 14:59

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 264/136/146 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 108%

Not enough....FOR SURE! I just hate it. I can go all day with none, easily, but try to get at least 48 oz. in. That is a struggle even in our hot weather. I just do not get thirsty. I was doing better, but seem to be having a lot of trouble with this.

Deb
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 17:57

Plan: Atkins then CALP as of 8/4
Stats: 250/228/160 Female 5ft7in
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default I drink a ton

I am a freak about drinking water. I probably drink a couple of gallons. With all this not snacking during the day (I'm also planning to quit smoking soon and have cut down to only a few a day) I have to have something with me at all times. I have chosen water.

At my desk I keep a 32oz tumbler, a coffee mug, a plastic bottle with the "sports cap" and a bag of straws.

I rotate between water with ice, hot water, and cold water from the filter. I change up how I'm drinking it .....with a straw, in the bottle, in the mug, without a straw etc...

After doing this for a few days I got used to it and actually started craving water. I look forward to my hot cup of water after lunch like I used to look forward to coffee.

I still have my coffee with cream in the morning and about 1/2 a cup for an afternoon pick me up. Other than that its all water.

Abie
  #23   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 09:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/247.5/145 Female 5'4.25"
BF:50%/46%/15%
Progress: 15%

I am drinking exactly 64oz. I must admit, I hate water. I have to force myself to drink it by carrying around one of those mini water cooler bottles that holds a daily serving of water. Once I finish the thing off, I'm heading right for a soda or coffee. I have to make it a challenge or rewarding to drink water or else, I rather have a 2L of Diet Big Red, caffine free with splenda
  #24   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 09:23

Plan: The Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan Program
Stats: 190/140/135 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 91%

<What do you CALPer's think of sweeteners like Stevia - which is totally natural. Is that a no-no to you as well? Is anything remotely sweet outside of RM a no-no in your book?>

When I started CALP I did EVERYTHING exactly by the book. I followed the rules for a VERY long time. Then I started trying things out to see how they affected my cravings. Artificial sweetners don't bother me one way or another. Since I don't crave sweets I don't bother with artificial sweetners. Once in a blue moon I will have a Diet Coke, but rarely do I finish it.

These days if I feel like having a piece of fruit outside of my Reward Meal I will have one. Simple as that. I can do this because I am at a level of maintaining my weight. I enjoy ALL foods, but some in moderation!

Life is good!
Live it.
Libby