Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-18, 17:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 380/330/165 Male 5' 6
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default App For Calculating Percentages of Fat/Protein/Carbs

Hi,

I'm looking for an iPhone app that will calculate the % of fat, protein, carbs per day.
Haven't found one yet.
The Atkins app doesn't do this, only counts grams of fat, protein, carbs.
Any help is appreciated. I'm on induction, but wondering if my ratios are off.

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-18, 18:09

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Cronometer.com calculates the percentages.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-18, 18:56

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

My Fitness Pal too, you can tap a macro pie chart at any point in the day to see how ratios stand. But.... remember no app can tell how much body fat you are burning, so not to worry much about those "ratios", good explanation : https://blog.virtahealth.com/top-keto-mistakes/.
You can custom the goals on the free version of MFP to something like 5-20-75% but the apps are most helpful for counting the carbs and protein in grams to be sure those are below the limits you want to keep.

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Aug-01-18 at 03:45.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-18, 13:41

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
Cronometer.com calculates the percentages.

Thanks!
Cronometer is a nice app, plus the website. Cool!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-18, 13:45

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
My Fitness Pal too, you can tap a macro pie chart at any point in the day to see how ratios stand. But.... remember no app can tell how much body fat you are burning, so not to worry much about those "ratios", good explanation : https://blog.virtahealth.com/top-keto-mistakes/.
You can custom the goals on the free version of MFP to something like 5-20-75% but the apps are most helpful for counting the carbs and protein in grams to be sure those are below the limits you want to keep.

I'll have to grab My Fitness Pal. I saw it but didn't download it.
I'm losing inches, not a lot of scale weight (12lbs). Heading into 4th week of induction.
Thanks for your help!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-18, 04:16

New list of 9 Keto apps from Mark Sisson. He is also a fan of Cronometer, MFP not so much. He doesn’t mention if you only use the entries with a green check, those are USDA or verified manufacturers labels. But others to consider:

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/keto-apps/
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-18, 08:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/170/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Janet, thanks for mentioning the green check on MFP. It took me months to understand I was using crowd-sourced information ... so not that accurate. I like how easy and portable MFP is, although the community is so focused on calorie counting I avoid those chats.

I’m bothered by the fact MFP doesn’t differentiate between fibre / net carbs for things like my flax muffins. (Even the paid version doesn’t). I can do the math myself at the end of the day to be sure my 10 grams over goal came from high fibre, but it’s still not ideal.

I bought chronometer because it seems to take care of both my concerns and I’ve noticed several long-term members here use it, but it seems so complicated that I haven’t set it up. Not sure if that’s just me, though. I’ll have to look at it when I have a free afternoon to set it up.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Oct-13-18, 03:25

Years ago there was some type of "add-on" a programmer had made for MFP to give net carbs, but I used the suggestion to re-arrange the columns, and to write net in Notes if needed. The free MFP allows any five macros/nutrients, so I arrange the columns with TC and fiber, 1 and 2. Visually easy to subtract in my head during the day.

Not that I track often, but one reason it is hard to switch after years on MFP is the recipes and meals I have saved. There are complaints about user entries on MFP but so many users also means popular Low Carb recipes are already entered and saved. Kristie Sullivan is a popular Keto cookbook author, if you search well using her name, many recipes from her two cookbooks are there.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Oct-13-18 at 03:43.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Oct-13-18, 10:01

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/170/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Thanks Janet. Those are both good ideas.