Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-14, 00:13

Plan: Keto <38 carbs daily
Stats: 316/287.2/132 Female 64
BF:Isn't It Obvious?!
Progress: 16%
Default Need Fibro pain relief suggestions

I've had pain in my arms, legs and calves almost daily since an accident 2 1/2 years ago. It got progressively worse over the years, and this cold weather is killing me. Pain at night makes it hard to sleep. Sometimes it's like leg cramps and feet cramps, sore arms. Sometimes it feels like someone cracked my bones.

Doctors have checked my pressure points for fibro indicators, they think it's what I have and I agree from my extensive research.

I tried the meds the dr gave me, made me want to murder someone, anyone. Since then I've tried to maintain with a combo of ibuprofen, and anti inflammatories and sometimes muscle relaxants. Sometimes I just live with it. I've taken melatonin to help me sleep but it makes me evil and drugged for the rest of the next day. No more.

I need suggestions, real, healthy suggestions for pain relief. I've read that camu berries and flax seed have anti inflammatory properties but I don't eat enough of them to see any real benefits. I need new suggestions, food suggestions. Something.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-14, 00:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 264/158/125 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Weight loss plus Going completely grain free knocked out a lot of my pain. I also eliminated most dairy. Magnesium supplements also seem to help me. The amount of artificial sweetener I consume also plays a role in my pain levels. (and I only use the liquid kind, no powders)
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-14, 05:20
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 198/136/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 107%

Turmeric - I swear by this for anti-inflammatory. There is nothing else I've tried (medicine or naturally) that has helped me more for inflammation. I take 2 capsules a day (morning/night).
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-14, 07:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann_LC
Turmeric - I swear by this for anti-inflammatory. There is nothing else I've tried (medicine or naturally) that has helped me more for inflammation. I take 2 capsules a day (morning/night).

What strength (ie: mg, whatever) is that? Can you take the powder or just capsules are stronger?
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-14, 07:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinright
Weight loss plus Going completely grain free knocked out a lot of my pain. I also eliminated most dairy. Magnesium supplements also seem to help me. The amount of artificial sweetener I consume also plays a role in my pain levels. (and I only use the liquid kind, no powders)

I've heard that about Magnesium, what mg on that? I did not know that about artificial sweeteners. I use stevia in my chai tea and iced tea. Powder or liquid.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-14, 08:07

Stats: 235/225/150 Female 5 ft. 5 in.
BF:
Progress: 12%

I take curcumin (turmeric) you want to make sure you get a bioavailable option with piperine (black pepper extract). It helps with mood too. I take 500mg up to 3 times a day.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-14, 18:27

I will look that up too. Thank you Lorelai.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-14, 21:12

I'm researching. Magnesium and am finding conflicting info, any help is appreciated. How am I supposed to tell the diff and how much of each?

Magnesium Chelate- told must be chelate
Magnesium glycinate- supposed to be good
Magnesium Malate (contains Malic acid that's supposed to help too)
Magnesium Citrate - supposed to be good
Magnesium Oxide- (some say it doesn't work as well and can give you diarrhea)
Magnesium Oil - good to rub on skin to bypass stomach and any bowel problems
Magnesium Chloride - in the oil, is this good?
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-14, 21:34

Stats: 264/158/125 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICanDoThis
I've heard that about Magnesium, what mg on that? I did not know that about artificial sweeteners. I use stevia in my chai tea and iced tea. Powder or liquid.

I take 500mg of the Nature Made. It's cheap at Wal-mart. You might want to do a little research and see what might be best for you.

I do know that I've run out before and my leg spasms and all over muscle pain/cramps/tingles get bad.

Also, activity level and stress play a big role in pain management. I walk a fine line between not doing enough and over-doing it. I've had to learn to "let things go". I find myself asking myself.... "Will this matter in 10 years/months/weeks/days/hours?" If the answer is no, I let it go. (or try to)
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-14, 22:00

Livinright, is it one of the magnesiums above? What exact magnesium is it?
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-14, 00:44

Plan: LCHF <20g
Stats: 206/182/170 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 67%

I have been told I have fibro and I'm normally in a lot of pain. I tried something recently that was absolutely phenomenal, it's Barlean's Olive Leaf Complex. You just take 1 tbsp. in the am on an empty stomach for 2 or so weeks and you do this every 3 months or so, or when the pain comes back.

For me, it reduced my pain dramatically. The woman in the supplements department at the health food store told me about it and I gave it a shot (not much to lose as it was only $14). I wasn't prepared for how well it wokred, by day 4 I almost had no pain compared to before I started taking it ~ for me it's a miracle.

Another couple of good things are Wobenzym or Zyflamend.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-14, 08:50

I've heard of olive leaf but not in connect with pain relief. I'll have to do some research on that. Thanks 1DogDay!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-14, 10:33

BF:

Quote:
I've heard of olive leaf but not in connect with pain relief. I'll have to do some research on that. Thanks 1DogDay!

It's NOT the olive leaf extract but the Barlean's Olive Leaf Complex that works (I am flabbergasted on how well it worked and love that you only take it for 2 weeks or so, about 4 times a year). I don't even know if they know why it works yet but it was a miracle for me.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-14, 10:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1DogDay
It's NOT the olive leaf extract but the Barlean's Olive Leaf Complex that works (I am flabbergasted on how well it worked and love that you only take it for 2 weeks or so, about 4 times a year). I don't even know if they know why it works yet but it was a miracle for me.

How much do you take a day? And why is it only 2 weeks 4 times a year?
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-14, 21:23

BF:

Quote:
How much do you take a day? And why is it only 2 weeks 4 times a year?

1 tbsp on am empty stomach, you only take it until the pain is gone and then start it again when it returns - for me it's a miracle!