Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 11:43

Plan: Atkins/Counting Calories
Stats: 173/165/145 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default Question about BFL and lbs. lost

I have done BFL before and I know that I did well on it but never finished the challenge. Now I am LC'ing and doing BFL and I have a question.

When I started LC'ing about 6 weeks ago, I started weighing myself everday and saw a loss just about everyday, even if it was just .2 lbs. I was not exercising AT ALL when I started and before that I was going to the gym 3 times a week doing pretty high intense 1 hour circuit/cardio classes. I lost 7 lbs in the first 3 weeks, then the Holidays rolled around and I started BFL on Monday being down only 2 lbs. I never really stopped LC'ing, just a meal off here and there. Since I started on Monday I have been eating well, doing my BFL workouts and I had lost 2.8, until today, I was up .6. My question is, is the scale going to work a lot different since I have started working out? You can't gain muscle in 4 days, so it can't be muscle.

Any ideas, I did measure myself so that I can keep track of inches too.

Wee
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 13:14
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/272.0/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

When you work out with weights, you are actually creating micro tears in the muscle. The muscle retains water while it heals. Sometimes the whole time you are exercising you might retain water in the muscles but a week off from exercise (in between challanges) it should all come off. Sometimes the scale doesn't move at all because you are losing fat and gaining muscle (and retaining water) at the same rate.

My first challange that I only made it to week 9 on, I don't think I lost any weight...I did lose a size or two though! I got stressed out by the end of the school year and stopped exercising, and went on induction with my husband, and promptly lost all that water weight I had been carrying.

Ignore the scale and keep measurements. You can also find a pair of pants that don't quite fit and try them on every two weeks or so to check your progress.

Beth
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 13:31

Plan: Atkins/Counting Calories
Stats: 173/165/145 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 29%

Thanks Beth,

I know that lately I have been depending on the scale way too much.

I'll stick to measuring myself, and going by how my clothes feel.

Wee
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 13:47
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

Hi, WeeOne. I've been working out pretty strenuously for about 4 months now (part of the time doing BFL) and have actually gained 4 or 5 pounds. But I've also dropped two dress sizes and have noticeably reshaped my body (bigger where I was too small, and smaller where I was too big).

So it's not about the weight. Just keep at it, and have fun!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 16:05

Plan: BFL
Stats: 151/142/? Female 5'9
BF:35%/23%/15%
Progress: 5%

my advice is to throw the scale away. It does absolutely NO good to us except cause us pain! Try to focus on how you feel. That's what I am doing after being a severe scale addict.
Also a lot of people don't lose at all or until the end. I didn't lose (I gained) until week 9 or so.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 21:33
"Natural Mystic"

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Quote:
My question is, is the scale going to work a lot different since I have started working out? You can't gain muscle in 4 days, so it can't be muscle.
I found that the scale started slowing down when I started BFL. I started at 142 and reached day 70 (weighing 129 pounds) when I stopped (I went away on vacation---long story). I have not had my body fat checked but I started at 35%. I think based on measurements that I lose 10 pounds of fat and 3 pounds of muscle. I won't know for sure until I do a body fat test at my gym.

Hang in there. At first you will think nothing is happening. Your body may hold onto water especially after tough workouts (this is probably why you will notice your weight going up) or after loading up on L-Glutamine. Then suddenly you will be shocked at the difference. That's what happened to me and I did not even finish.

I restarted BFL and now I am on day 5. This last challenge I kept my carbs at 20g and with this challenge I have increased my carbs because I think it will help me to lift more and hopefully get better results.

red

Last edited by red1cutie : Fri, Jan-16-04 at 21:34.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 16:01

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/165/135 Female 5ft4
BF:
Progress: 54%

thanks guys so much for posting this information! it's my second week on BFL, and i lost 5lbs of water weight but that's about it. HOWEVER, i have noticed that my upper bod -- shoulders,etc., have little dents in them. i had no idea that when the muscles were torn down the fibers held onto water molecules for repair. considering how many muscles are in your body, that sure is a LOT of water!! thanks again so much! this should keep me off the scale for a little while longer -- as i am eating decent and i feel great!! thanks again!!