Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 13:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 289.5/275/190 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

I bought the liquid form of oil of oregano, which is diluted in olive oil. It tastes VERY strong! I do not look forward to ingesting that stuff. I have started squirting it in the back of my throat so that I dont have the taste on my tongue for hours! I take about 4 drops daily in the morning. I like you idea of the gel capsules. I need to buy some asap!

I have been taking oil of oregano since Friday...which makes today my 5th day. I am not sure if this is "die off" symptoms, but yesterday I was sooo nauseus and had a dull headache. My face was really red and hot (I do have rosacia but don't tend to have flare-ups unless I drink alcohol). It lasted for about 5 hours during the day and then came back after dinner. Today my face is really hot again and I feel a little yucky. I never even thought about yeast and that being a problem for me, but perhaps it is. I have about 100lbs. to loose and so far, my loss is moving VERY slowly. In fact, today was my weekly weigh-in and I gained .5lb. In 7 weeks, I've lost 11.5 lbs., which for a big girl, is a really slow loss. Could it be that I have yeast problems? I also went to the doctor this morning to have my thyriod tested.

I am not sure if oil of oregano is having an affect on my weight loss yet. I will continue taking it for a week more and see. I need all of the help I can get, since things are moving so slowly!
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 13:11
I'm Losin' It

Stats: 190.5/190.5/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:ha/ha/18%
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherbee
I bought the liquid form of oil of oregano, which is diluted in olive oil. It tastes VERY strong! I do not look forward to ingesting that stuff. I have started squirting it in the back of my throat so that I dont have the taste on my tongue for hours! I take about 4 drops daily in the morning. I like you idea of the gel capsules. I need to buy some asap!

My face was really red and hot (I do have rosacia but don't tend to have flare-ups unless I drink alcohol).

I bought gel caps to put mine in. My DH just puts 2 drops under his tongue, (actually I do it for him) and says its fine! He also has rosacia and is using 1 drop of the oil mixed with E on his face. . . he smells like a pizza parlor.
  #123   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 13:28
Registered Member

BF:

hehehe. That's really funny LindyM! I accidentally spilled some on my sweater last week and smelled like it all day!

Does your DH put it on his face at night? Has it made a difference? Mine seems to be really bed right now, since I started taking the oil orally. Is there a period of adjustment for the body?
  #124   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 14:19

Plan: Keto
Stats: 284.6/239.0/175 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Well guys, after 3 days of taking it, I'm down 2.5 lbs.

Could be coincidence, but I'm going to finish out the bottle and see what happens.
  #125   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 14:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/carb cycling
Stats: 216.5/211/170 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 12%

I just started taking this today...Natures Way brand, 50mg with flax seed oil. This is kind of funny, but I never burp, and all morning I was burping..I felt like I had eaten pizza, before I realized it must have been this pill. I also noticed a little gas problem the other way so to speak. I hope thi8s goes away as I have to work tomorrow! Will log in with my results.
  #126   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 15:13

Stats: 170/???/135 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

patte, you may find the burping and gas gets worse for a few days before it gets better. Oil of Oregano attacks candida (yeast) in the gut and can cause die off symptoms in some. Bloating, burping, gas, flatulence are all symptoms of this. It's the yeast dying and producing toxic gases. Drink lots of water to flush the body.
  #127   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 15:16

Plan: atkins
Stats: 146/123/123 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 100%

i havent had a gas problem, but i do take alot of psyllium husks and when i started taking those it was watch out gas machine. maybe you all with the red faces should check to see if thats a side effect by searching the candida sites with oil of oregano on them. i havent had any skin problems, just lots of bathroom breaks and its amazing how much water comes out when you pee soooooooooooooooo much. wonder if this stuff has a diuretic effect.
  #128   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 15:16
I'm Losin' It

Stats: 190.5/190.5/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:ha/ha/18%
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherbee
Does your DH put it on his face at night? Has it made a difference? Mine seems to be really bed right now, since I started taking the oil orally. Is there a period of adjustment for the body?

He's only been using it since Friday. He rubs it on(mixing in his hand with the E) and it soaks in. It does burn he says for 4 to 5 mins then is fine. He has been putting it on in the morning before work as he works outside & there is no one to smell it . The rosacia bothers him so I'm hoping this helps.

We're going to take it internally 2 weeks on/2 weeks off, but he will continue to use it topically.
  #129   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 16:28
Registered Member

Stats: 143/126.6/125 Female 5'5.5
BF:
Progress: 91%

The Better Heath Store (see link below) has the Solaray, 150mg, 60 caps for $5.84:

http://www.thebetterhealthstore.com...?sku=7628008252
  #130   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 16:33

BF:

thanks for the information bonolover
  #131   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 16:35
Registered Member

BF:

Has anyone else experienced a "die off"? I am starting to feel really crummy again today after I ate lunch. Sluggish in the morning and now I am nauseaus...fluish.

I ate some parmasean cheese with my salad...could that indicate that I have a yeast prob and that the oil of oreg is working on it? This makes two days in a row of feeling really crummy. When will it pass?
  #132   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 16:40

BF:

should depend on how much yeast buildup you have. i read that sometimes a week, maybe add some fiber and lots of water.
  #133   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 16:49
Registered Member

BF:

I take a fibercon each day and eat flaxseed every other day. And yesterday, I drank 200 ozs. of water! Normally I drink around 130-150 ozs. of water per day. Hopefully I will flush this out asap!
  #134   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 17:08

Stats: 198/194/150 Female 70 inches
BF:?/34%/25%
Progress: 8%

Hi all I have been reading this tread and have done research, since i am a microbiologist i wanted to finds out what antimicrobial properties this oil had, so here is what i have found...

Studies in the past decade confirm that the growth of both gram-positive and gram-negative foodborne bacteria, yeast. and mold can be inhibited by garlic, onion, cinnamon, cloves, thyme, sage, and other spices

oils of oregano and thyme (which contain carvacrol and thymol) are effective as fumigants against fungi on stored grain

oregano is effective against Mycotoxigenic Aspergillus, Salmonella spp., Vibrio parahaemolyticus and many types of yeast.

I also was woried that since oil of oregano does contain antimicrobials that it would interfeer with birth control pills, i spoke to a pharmacist (sp) and she informed me that after looking it up it has not know interactions.

Hope this helps!

Now if i can just find the darn pills in my little cow town!
  #135   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 17:09

Stats: 198/194/150 Female 70 inches
BF:?/34%/25%
Progress: 8%

that last line should read no known interactions.

sorry