Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-02-05, 16:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/215/180 Male 6
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Weight Training+ Lo-Carbing= Lean Muscle Tissue Loss??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My question for anybody out there who might even be a little bit educated (RN’s or anybody with a background in Health Science would be MUCH APPRECIATED) about health.

The initial weight loss in lo-carb dieting comes from water… and glycogen inside of your muscles themselves.

Thus, it can be said that lo-carb dieting can in fact decrease lean muscle mass: IT ABSOLUTELY DOES.

However, I’m wondering, it is true that without proper energy stores, your body will place itself into a catabolic state, and start using lean muscle mass as an energy source. Thus it will break down muscle. I’m wondering if anybody knows any good ways to prevent your body into going quickly into a catabolic state while weight tranining? Could using a short term, easily assimilated protein like whey, right before a workout be processed through the liver quick enough so that it can be used to fuel the muscles before catabolic breakdown occurs?

Also , in addition to weight training, if I were to run (at night 9PM), let’s say a mile 3x a week aerobically, will that deplete my glycogen stores to the point where my next weight training session the morning after will actually hinder my strength goals?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-05, 03:09
Registered Member

Plan: Warrior LC
Stats: 222/201/191 Male 180 cm
BF:30%/12%/12%
Progress: 68%

Men, are you wrong! ( )

Read my journal about how I grow in the direction of a Men's Health-type with a low-carb diet.

Your muscle will grow if you use strenght training.

How fast you want to go is your personal choice, I choose a long term approach because I want the WOL to last. The Men's Health-thing happened on the way, I never expected or even thought of any change in THAT direction .
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-10-05, 13:02

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Interesting question

But perhaps too refined?

Sure, the INITIAL loss comes from water and glycogen, and therefore, your premise is correct. That quits after the first few days. After that, you go to fat burning, and it's a rare person who has so little fat that there is nothing to be burned. In addition, you ARE eating along the way, right? So you will be replenishing cellular stores along the way.

Aren't there pretty quick nitrogen tests to determine catabolic states? The whey shake would be an easy enough experiment to try.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-05, 16:47

Plan: Carb Cycling
Stats: 208/165/145 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 68%

Prior to weight training you can drink a protein shake 30-45 mins out. If you are truly worried about your LBM there are several eating options for lo-carbers who work out at least 5 days a week. There is the CKD plan which allows you to replenish your glycogen via weekend refeeds or A TKD plan where you ingest your carbs prior to the workout b/c they will be used up and ketosis can be re-established within a few hours. Or you can do a carb cycle w/low days, no days and high days.

As for late night running, you can consume a protein shake w/flax oil after the run, it will feed your body and prevent catabolism.

Michelle