Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 23:37

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/175/130
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Karen

Actually you did answer my question, I took my doctor a list of the tests you posted on a previous thread and she ran all of them. She ran the T4, T3 resin uptake,T7, Free T4, Total T3, FreeT3 and TSH. So do you think after all that blood work we will get to the root of the problem (just your opinion), she also did a thyroid ultrasound which was neg, a ct of my head (I don't know why), a chest X-ray (don't know why) and a urinalysis. I felt bad but after taking the synthroid for a month I felt worse, I think I'm low on T3. I won't get my results for the thyroid tests until next Friday, which means another week of feeling like crap but do you think I can at least have some hope now. The only test she did before was TSH and T4. I would really like your opinion!
Kenzy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 03:04
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Wish I had an opinion to give, but thyroid problems are way out of my league. My "field" - and I say that loosely - is addiction, complusive overeating and cooking.

The tests will reveal any conditions, and when you know what they are, you can take action.

In any case, just keep low-carbing. It's the best thing you can do for yourself!

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 09:54

Plan: Schwarzbien Newbie
Stats: 146/141/120
BF:shrinking
Progress: 19%

Hi, Kenzy! I have thyroid problems, too. Didn't I see you on the Candida board?

I have hypothyroidism, candida, fibromyalgia, and osteo arthritis/degenerative disc disease in my back and neck. Otherwise, I feel just peachy!!! I am finding that the low carb (since Dec 26, 02) is helping everything! It took awhile, and I felt worse before I felt better. I haven't lost much weight yet, but I am getting healthier, the weight might decide to come off later.

Your doctor was very thorough. Do you have migraines? That could be why she ordered the CT scan of your head.

If your tests come back normal, don't despair! My tests always come back normal (I am on meds, tho), and I used to still feel like "crap". But now that I am getting the yeast under control, oh, I am feeling so much better! I think the yeast was more of a cause of my problems than the thyroid. Of course, there are some schools of thought that candida causes thyroid trouble. I tend to buy that theory. Eating healthy is the most important thing.

Don't give up. You were wise in asking your doctor to perform all the tests possible. You are taking charge of your own health, and that is important! I have come from the depths of despair over health issues, and I can guarantee you, you will get better!
Eat your veggies, protein and drink lots of water. Just eating low carb, healthy low carb, is the best direction you can take.

Good luck to you, keep in touch. Drop by my journal and let me know how things are going!

-Jess