Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Tue, Mar-28-06, 07:36
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShesGG
I just got the D3 this weekend and I started out taking 2000 ius, 1000 in the morning and 1000 at about 4 pm.

How do you know how much to take? I have read that it can be toxic if you take too much.
Vitamin D3 is NOT toxic. Given where you live, especially if you have symptoms of vitamin D deficiency, 2,000 IUs is not enough.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Fri, Jun-09-06, 19:25
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Update******
  #63   ^
Old Sat, Jun-10-06, 00:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
Vitamin D3 is NOT toxic. Given where you live, especially if you have symptoms of vitamin D deficiency, 2,000 IUs is not enough.

I can second that!

She's GG, I am currently taking around 10,000 iu of D-3....if you have not done so, read this entire thread, it is extremely enlightening!
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=266549
  #64   ^
Old Sun, Jun-11-06, 10:34

Plan: Atkins Carb Counter
Stats: 000/000/130 Female 5'-7
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfGumby
I can second that!

She's GG, I am currently taking around 10,000 iu of D-3....if you have not done so, read this entire thread, it is extremely enlightening!
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=266549

Do you take 10 capsules a day? I would like to find more than a thousand IUs if they have some somewhere.
  #65   ^
Old Sun, Jun-11-06, 10:52
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Do you take 10 capsules a day? I would like to find more than a thousand IUs if they have some somewhere.
There are drops that contain 2,000 IU per drop. It's called Bio D Mulsion Forte. You can do a search for it. I usually purchase it from DC something.
  #66   ^
Old Sun, Jun-11-06, 18:30

Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Quote:

I take 5 at breakfast, 4 at lunchtime and one at dinner. All before food. I also take a Cal/Mag/D suppliment and my multi vitamins have D as well. Then there is the 235 or some such IU that are in the Cod Liver Oil suppliment I take at lunch time.

I suspect there is some D in my Omega 3 capsules too, but can find no info on it's amount....

I will be cutting back on the D very soon as I am nearing the end of the megadose period and have been getting a better amount of sun lately......prolly down to around 4,000 IU from the D supps and leave the rest as is. I will go back up to 8,000 for the winter months.....

Also worth noting, I take approx 1000 mg of C....three 1000 mg at breakfast, 3 at lunch and two at dinner. There is also C in my multi vitamins.....that too will drop at the same time as the D, but not a whole lot...maybe cut in half.

I like that everyone in the house has been sick at least twice, and many that I know have been sick, but not me since I have upped the C and D and A!

I take a fair amount of pills in one days time, close to about 40 individual pills....as well as the L Glutamine Powder I add to my protein shakes or ice cream or yogurt.
  #67   ^
Old Mon, Jun-12-06, 05:25
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfGumby
I like that everyone in the house has been sick at least twice, and many that I know have been sick, but not me since I have upped the C and D and A!
Yeah, I like that, too!!! Everyone at work has been hacking and coughing but not me!!!
  #68   ^
Old Mon, Jun-12-06, 10:22

Stats: 360/225/160 Female 68"
BF:30%
Progress: 68%
Default Not one cold for an entire year.

It does work, as I posted in another thread. I am almost completely off my diabetes meds. No more dry skin on my legs, my hair is growing in better. I have lots of energy and I sleep great (no more potty calls).

I've got my husband on Vitamin D and Calcium/Mag. He's not overweight, but it's done wonders for his skin. His hands and feet used to crack and bleed. No more.

Margie
  #69   ^
Old Mon, Jun-12-06, 15:37

BF:

Ok, I'll up the dose to
4000 IU a day of D
2-600 mg calcium and 300 mg magnesium Each Pill

I already eat cinnamon in the morning and drink organic vinegar 3 times a day

My hair is getting thicker, I have been taking 10 mg. Biotin a day. It's not growing in fast enough for me though.

I have bladder cancer but had part of my bladder removed and no tumors have returned in 8 months. I take green tea extract for that.

My regular blood tests for diabetes, blood pressure and thyroid have been good for a year. I feel so much better since I have been taking some supplements but I want to get it right.

Sorry for all of the questions.
  #70   ^
Old Mon, Jun-12-06, 17:01
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Ok, I'll up the dose to
4000 IU a day of D
2-600 mg calcium and 300 mg magnesium Each Pill

I already eat cinnamon in the morning and drink organic vinegar 3 times a day

My hair is getting thicker, I have been taking 10 mg. Biotin a day. It's not growing in fast enough for me though.

I have bladder cancer but had part of my bladder removed and no tumors have returned in 8 months. I take green tea extract for that.

My regular blood tests for diabetes, blood pressure and thyroid have been good for a year. I feel so much better since I have been taking some supplements but I want to get it right.

Sorry for all of the questions.
With a history of cancer, I suggest upping it to at least 7,000 IU/day and more during winter.

Also, I think you need another cal/mag.
  #71   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-06, 07:00

BF:

Quote:
With a history of cancer, I suggest upping it to at least 7,000 IU/day and more during winter.

Also, I think you need another cal/mag.

Thanks,

I found the drops online at DC. I have a lot of the capsules left so I'm starting with 4000 this morning and will take another 3000 at lunch. I will also add an additional cal/mag.
  #72   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-06, 08:50
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Thanks,

I found the drops online at DC. I have a lot of the capsules left so I'm starting with 4000 this morning and will take another 3000 at lunch. I will also add an additional cal/mag.
Don't be afraid to up the vitamin D even more if necessary. You can guage if you're near the correct D dosage by examining any habitually dry skin patches on your body. When they start to heal and turn smooth, you're at a good dose for you.
  #73   ^
Old Sat, Jun-17-06, 11:31

BF:

Quote:
Don't be afraid to up the vitamin D even more if necessary. You can guage if you're near the correct D dosage by examining any habitually dry skin patches on your body. When they start to heal and turn smooth, you're at a good dose for you.

It's only been about a week and I am feeling much better. I have a high stress job and I have been much more calm. Thanks for all of the info.

I wanted to ask if you follow a very low carb diet along with all of supplements. I don't and my blood sugar is still fantastic everyday. I do exercise and eat a lot of veggies and some fruit.

I am curious about everyone else.
  #74   ^
Old Sat, Jun-17-06, 11:36

BF:

Looking back through the thread, it's only been about 4 days really.
  #75   ^
Old Sat, Jun-17-06, 11:43
Finding the Pieces

BF:

During the summer I follow low carb. From Thanksgiving to spring it's more high carb.

Last edited by Zuleikaa : Sat, Jun-17-06 at 11:54.