Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-04-12, 08:52

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 202/175/150 Female 5ft3 / 63in
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default My favourite food shopping "venues" in the UK

I thought I'd sum up the shops and websites I've tried (local to the UK!) and either liked/disliked for eating LC / Primal!

I've been doing this a couple of years now and started out shopping solely in Tesco (eep), thats changed a lot now!

When I first changed my way of eating, I didn't put a lot of thought into what was in my food or where it was coming from. Now, my main focus is on local grown (which is often organic anyway) or at least British grown (low carbon footprint yay!)

Meat
For meat, I've tried a few of the online vendors as well as supermarkets and local butchers.

1 - The Well Hung Meat Company
Their meat is DELISH - it is organic and grass fed, and is literally melt in your mouth good. The downside is its a bit expensive BUT if you like to order your meat in bulk and freeze it, this is what I did for about a year until I moved to the countryside.
They give free delivery and a loyalty discount if you order more than once and above a certain amount. I totally recommend them if you can afford to buy your meat in monthly amounts!!

2 - Sheep Drove Farm
Excellent lamb and one of the few places you can buy mutton and a half and whole butchered sheep for freezing! The people I've spoken to on the phone are REALLY nice, and its not a packing company but the actual farm sell the meat, which is nice to know. They also do chicken necks and stock bones for my primal doggie too.

3 - Abel & Cole
They can be expensive when it comes to meat, but its pretty good. I tended to order the diced beef and cheaper cuts if I was running low since they can deliver every week if you want them to. The flexbility is great!

4 - Last but definitely not least, your LOCAL Butcher!
Even if it might seem intimidating going in (not sure why but a lot of people find this?) don't worry! As long as their meat is from the UK you normally can't go wrong, since the majority of british meat is raised on pasture anyway. Also, butchers are most likely to have the best sausages - natural casings and no crap in them. And if there is crap, normally they will make you a big batch to freeze "gluten free" if you ask nicely!!

Groceries and Dairy

1 - Abel and Cole

I really, really love this company. I used to try and get veg from my local grocer, but realised they always stocked only imported stuff (IE the cheapest they could get, pesticides and all).
First of all, their butter is AMAZING. As is pretty much all their dairy section! Real milk, real butter, real yoghurt etc.
Also, their coconut milk is literally the best brand I have ever tasted. And I am half asian; I grew up drinking coconut milk.
Another staple I stock up on from them is their tinned tomatoes; check the ingredients list: tomatoes. That is all.

Coming to the vegetables and fruit, the majority of their stock is seasonal - that is to say, NO you cannot have purple sprouted broccoli all year round!
There's no cloak and dagger as to which farms supply them either, making me happy to know the supermarkets aren't screwing them.

And honestly, I've found I can easily order a £15-£20 week's worth of veg including coconut milk and tomatoes to feed 2-3 people.

And better yet, they recycle the boxes they use to deliver in, and will deliver when you are out / still in bed.

I know it probably shows that I love them, but its so rare for me to be so happy with a company that I have to sing it loud when I DO find one I love!

2 - Farmers markets / Farm shops!

I previously lived in bucks, and the few farmers markets I could find were... mostly specialty products like cheeses and yoghurts, rare kinds of beef etc, so I didn't frequent them. But now I live in Somerset and I LOVE the farmers markets here! So depending on where you are, check them out just in case.

3 - Greengrocer
If you have a good local greengrocer who supplies local veg, you are very lucky - support them!!!

Seafood / LC Supplies / etc

I've used a couple of the online seafood companies when I wanted to make a special meal (I looove seafood, but normally cannot afford the cost, plus Bucks isn't exactly the home hub of seafood.)

I'm also keen to support sustainable fishing when I can. Anyway, I think the one I used in the past was called "The Fish Society" and I was very happy with the delivery.

When it comes to baking supplies, the larger Tescos and Waitrose tended to have most of the sugar alternatives etc. They sell Splenda and Stevia now, and it seems to me more and more stores are stocking almond flour and nuts.

Coconut flour I have still only been able to get online or from local health food shops. Sad to say but the best price has so far been online for me.

For things like DaVinci sugar free syrups, Xylitol and other sugar alternatives that are hard to find in the UK, I like to use the Lowcarbmegastore website.
I pretty much only really order their baking ingredients I can't find elsewhere, so I don't know anything about the tons of frankenfoods they sell.

Hope my list has helped someone out there D:

I was lucky enough to have the freedom to try out all these companies when I was trying to break my reliance on supermarkets too much.

Of course if you are budget restrained there's nothing wrong with supermarkets, but when it comes to things like veg and meat, you might be surprised that the costs aren't all that different, unless of course you are buying from the value range then it will be cheaper.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-04-12, 12:01
Registered Member

Plan: Experimenting
Stats: 181/181/126 Female 5 3
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks for the list. Asda doesn't seem to stock anything low-carb, no atkins bars.... not even diabetic chocolate. Boots do, however and have diabetic chocolate & sweets (not that I'm indulging yet, but just nice to know if things get desperate!)

I've never seen anything like low-carb bread or crackers in UK supermarkets (like they have in the US apparently) and most of it has to be bought on line. Amazon stock a lot of products which is great.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-04-12, 12:25

Plan: General
Stats: 184/176/150 Female 168 cm
BF:
Progress: 24%

For anyone in Suffolk there has been a boom in good, local food, in particular I'd recommend the Suffolk Food Hall

www.suffolkfoodhall.co.uk

They have an excellent in-house butchers, veg and most of their stock is local with the number of food miles clearly displayed.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-05-12, 07:25

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 202/175/150 Female 5ft3 / 63in
BF:
Progress: 52%

No problem Cielo!

Yeah, Asda seem to just really focus on their packaged goods which I suppose they do for very cheap its just that I never buy that stuff anymore. Their selection isn't all that great like you said.

It seems to me that the big city-hub supermarkets tend to carry the more low carb stuff. For example the ones that tend to have the "world food" aisles also stock a much larger selection of baking goods which tend to include alot of our LC stuff.

Thanks for posting that site Minimum my, it looks really good!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-05-12, 13:01

Plan: General
Stats: 184/176/150 Female 168 cm
BF:
Progress: 24%

I'd thoroughly recommend it, I have no personal connection I just used to live 5 mins from there. They have brilliant bouncing pillow outside which my daughters love to jump on whenever we go to the UK to visit!