Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-16-12, 11:22
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 220/220/132 Female 1.65 cm
BF:
Progress:
Default head of lettuce

head of lettuce plus 150 g of celery sticks... is what i had today... and i am on the induction. Am I allowed that? im still chewing on my lettuce as I need to get the oil down... sigh...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-16-12, 14:21

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Which Atkins book/plan are you following?

NANY says to eat 12-15 net carbs of "foundation veg", and according to fitday one medium (6" dia) head of lettuce plus 150 g celery only amounts to 5 net carbs, so you are way short of that.

DANDR has a limit of 3 cups of veg on induction,so I used to choose the higher carb ones in order to be getting most of my net carbs from them rather than just lettuce (aka chewy water).
Your choices would amount to more than 3 cups I guess, so you would be overeating the 3 cups and should not be eating more than about 4 net carbs of non-veg carb foods in addition to be following the "most of" rule.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-16-12, 14:55
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

I dont understand... I thought it was important I dont go over 15 g of carbs and keep the fat around 70%?
Im also not allowed to eat veg over 3 cups a day? even if they are lower than 15g a day, Im soooo confused I will never understand this low carb eating, it confuses me so much feel so depressed so today was for nothing
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-16-12, 16:50
Looking 4 Onederland

Plan: Atkins '72, IF
Stats: 284.5/200/170 Female 5' 5"
BF:Why yes it is! ;)
Progress: 74%

It's not hard, just a change.

Here is a bit of the 1972 version for you to read.

Atkins 1972
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-16-12, 21:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/219/145 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by iseethesun
I dont understand... I thought it was important I dont go over 15 g of carbs and keep the fat around 70%?
Im also not allowed to eat veg over 3 cups a day? even if they are lower than 15g a day, Im soooo confused I will never understand this low carb eating, it confuses me so much feel so depressed so today was for nothing

Have you read the book?
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-12, 00:09
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

yes a few years ago why? am i doing something wrong? I have also looked at the atkins website here http://www.atkins.com/Program/Phase...tion-Right.aspx
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-12, 03:05

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

If you are following the atkins company's new version of Atkins then you should be eating between 12-15 net carbs of vegetables (no limit on quantity) and can eat up to 20 net carbs in total by adding cheese, cream, eggs etc.

So you will need to choose higher carb veg than just lettuce and celery unless you want to be eating a humungous bowl of them several times a day!

I often use red peppers (about 7 net carbs per 100 grams) and onions (about 7 net carbs per medium onion) to get a good number of carbs without having to stuff myself with lettuce!!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-12, 04:09
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

OMG I finally understood that elizellen! thank you! so I wil eat about 12 to 15 carbs of vegs and the rest will be made out of cheese etc) so get that now fanxx