Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-14, 06:53

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%
Smile dawn effect finally beaten?

My morning (fasting) glucose readings have been over 100 and often the highest of the day for over a year now. I decided to quit burning through strips and wait until I had lost more weight, to go back to checking but after 25 or so pounds lost, it lingered on. So, I lowered my carbs more, slacked back on protein, and added fat, to try to induce ketosis. I don't know if I actually am in ketosis but I have finally got my scale losses going again after a stubborn scale/successful closet phase. Well, finally this morning, I checked it again and it was 97. I was so pleased. If it continues, I'll be really really happy! My postprandial readings can be manipulated with severe restriction to be under 100 but any AS can jack it up and I just can never tell how it's going to react. I've never been diagnosed as diabetic but with numbers as high as 128, maybe a diagnoses is simply academic. Recently, I took my reading after a day that was largely on target, but with a slight over indulgence of nuts (cashews) and it came up at 123. I haven't eaten yet but I'll be checking it after breakfast.

Also, we got a new toy for working out. It's an elliptical on wheels, so to speak. The site to see it is streetstrider.com. Last night was my first time on it and it's fun but really a workout. Here's the YouTube of me riding it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK2bSXtXHaU
As you can see, it's quite the workout and my husband, who is fairly experienced at exercise warned me about your weight taking a temporary jump after a new resistance routine if your fitness is poor. I was going to wait for a few days to get used to this but I couldn't resist and was happily surprised to see a new low. I know the Strider is highly aerobic but my quads are jelly and my low back is fatigued. It feels like resistance exercise to me, as well. Besides, I wasn't all that winded, so I think it's a pretty well rounded thing.

Anyway, that's my report. I'm pretty happy to see that 97 this morning and I wanted to 'share'.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-14, 08:40
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Yeah, it is well-known that by some of us that protein seems to raise FBG first thing in the morning. Cutting it back down to 80g or less seems to reduce it. That was what Jimmy Moore's experiments did and my own experience with that also did it. Sadly it didn't help me lose any weight.

It also deepens ketosis, but don't waste money on the urine strips. Once you're well-adapted, well-hydrated, etc, you'll stop seeing ketones in urine. You can buy a blood meter, but the strips are pricey.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-14, 10:57

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Yeah, it is well-known that by some of us that protein seems to raise FBG first thing in the morning. Cutting it back down to 80g or less seems to reduce it. That was what Jimmy Moore's experiments did and my own experience with that also did it. Sadly it didn't help me lose any weight.

It also deepens ketosis, but don't waste money on the urine strips. Once you're well-adapted, well-hydrated, etc, you'll stop seeing ketones in urine. You can buy a blood meter, but the strips are pricey.

Yes, thankfully I only bought one bottle of strips before learning about that. My nephew bought a blood meter but feels he no longer needs it so I hope he'll pass it my way. I'll be checking my PP from brunch in about an hour. I had 4 strips of thin cut low sodium bacon and two eggs. I'll see if it's high. I used a short spritz of color free AS flavoring in my water. I'll post the result.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-14, 06:36

Plan: Dr. Bernstein (modified )
Stats: 298/205/199 Male 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Well, I am post op gastric bypass now about 9 months. I have reached goal weight of 198 from 290.

My diabetic numbers now without meds give me an A1C in the 5's.

My typical morning FBG is around 110.

I am sure it can get better and it will.

I consume 100 to 150 carbs a day now making sure I also get my 80 to 90grams of protein.

I am told that too much protein can lead to kidney stones. So, I try to strike a balance.

As to your statements about being pre-diabetic, I don't believe in it. Either you are or you aren't. You ARE diabetic and thankfully you are doing the right things to control your condition.

Best wishes,

Ralph
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-14, 23:25

Plan: Keto, IF
Stats: 224/136/124 Female 64 inches
BF:44%/23%/20%
Progress: 88%

Very exciting! Congrats! And as Ralph said, its great that you are taking action NOW instead of waiting to see the damage start. I was diagnosed diabetic last dec, after about 14 years in the pre diabetic range. Took the diagnosis to get ME to make the changes you have made. I reset my numbers within about two weeks with a vlcal vlcarb menu, and then did very well for several months, getting BS between 80 and 100. Then unfortunately I got sick and it knocked everything for a loop. My challenge now is to get back to exercise, I think this is the BEST way to give your pancreas and B cells the rest they need to rebuild. All the best, and continue with your great progress!!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-14, 07:48
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
I am told that too much protein can lead to kidney stones. So, I try to strike a balance.

You might want to research that. I have a feeling it isn't true.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-14, 12:25

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallmeAnn
My morning (fasting) glucose readings have been over 100 and often the highest of the day for over a year now. I decided to quit burning through strips and wait until I had lost more weight, to go back to checking but after 25 or so pounds lost, it lingered on. So, I lowered my carbs more, slacked back on protein, and added fat, to try to induce ketosis. I don't know if I actually am in ketosis but I have finally got my scale losses going again after a stubborn scale/successful closet phase. Well, finally this morning, I checked it again and it was 97. I was so pleased. If it continues, I'll be really really happy! My postprandial readings can be manipulated with severe restriction to be under 100 but any AS can jack it up and I just can never tell how it's going to react. I've never been diagnosed as diabetic but with numbers as high as 128, maybe a diagnoses is simply academic. Recently, I took my reading after a day that was largely on target, but with a slight over indulgence of nuts (cashews) and it came up at 123. I haven't eaten yet but I'll be checking it after breakfast.

Also, we got a new toy for working out. It's an elliptical on wheels, so to speak. The site to see it is streetstrider.com. Last night was my first time on it and it's fun but really a workout. Here's the YouTube of me riding it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK2bSXtXHaU
As you can see, it's quite the workout and my husband, who is fairly experienced at exercise warned me about your weight taking a temporary jump after a new resistance routine if your fitness is poor. I was going to wait for a few days to get used to this but I couldn't resist and was happily surprised to see a new low. I know the Strider is highly aerobic but my quads are jelly and my low back is fatigued. It feels like resistance exercise to me, as well. Besides, I wasn't all that winded, so I think it's a pretty well rounded thing.

Anyway, that's my report. I'm pretty happy to see that 97 this morning and I wanted to 'share'.

Hi Ann,

I was wondering if your morning blood glucose readings were still improving and moving towards readings below 100? I have the same problem with my morning BG and haven't had much success in bringing those morning readings down. Right now I'm trying to be very strict with my eating to see if that helps.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-14, 15:04
Experimenter

BF:

Oh yeah, was just reading about kidney stones and calcium supplements recently. Don't blame the protein!