Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-05-02, 13:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 154/126/126
BF:
Progress: 100%
Question Atkins Reversal Diet - Heeeeelpppp!

HI all,

Has anyone tried the Atkins reversal diet yet? I've done today on fruit, low fat and high carbs, 1223 calories so far 17g fat, 188g carbs,and 34g protein, boy does it feel strange.

I really don't think I can go the whole 3 days that Atkins suggests.
I can't wait to get back to high fat low carb. Does anyone know whether it would defeat the whole object if I only did one day on the Reversal and went back tomorrow to LCing? Help please if you can, I don't want to go without butter another day!!!!! Maybe I was too hasty in this, should have tried other methods tto start the weight loss off again. Never mind you learn!

Any comments?

Banana
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-05-02, 14:22

Plan: No more
Stats: 168/177/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: -39%
Default reversal

I did the reversal diet for 3 days last month. It was awful.. I swelled up like a watermelon and gained my weight back... When I went back to LCing, it dropped back off pretty quickly, but I sure felt miserable!

You might do okay just going for one day on it. At least you shouldn't swell up like I did!

cindi
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-05-02, 14:26

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

What is the point of this?
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-05-02, 14:29

BF:
Smile Hi Cindi

Hi there,

Thanks for replying to me. Did you go back to Induction or did you just restart where you left off? I've read that to keep going back to Induction just confuses your body! Don't know about my body, but my brain is certainly confused!!!!
Banana
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-05-02, 14:35

BF:
Default Why Reversal diets?

Hi there vbrowne,

Our posts just missed each other!

The point of doing the Reversal diet is found on page 285 of DANDR. It is sort of another way of breaking a stall. He explains that your body can become efficient in using the fat metabolic pathway and starts to slow down the weight loss, which is what happened to me I think. Trying a reversal diet can help unclogg the tubes and reboot again, which is what I am hoping for. At the same time it serves a purpose of giving in to the craving of some carbs, for me it was alot of fruit this morning, but being in control with it all.

Banana
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-05-02, 15:58

Plan: No more
Stats: 168/177/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: -39%
Default reversal

Hey Banana,

When I went back to LC I added in more low carb veggies and have been keeping around 25 gms of carb instead of the 20 for Induction.

It might not bother some people as badly as it did me... All I know is I bloated sooo bad! I followed the 20/20 diet(a "new" diet that is out... 20 gms of fat and 20 gms of fiber)for the 3 days... It had lots of fruit for the carbs.

I was able to lose what I gained, but didn't lose any more so I ended up not accomplishing anything that I could tell. It took me a couple of weeks to finally get another lb off.

It must work for others, though, or Atkins wouldn't mention it in his book.... Everyone is different.... I'm just the wrong kind of different! lololol

cindi
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-05-02, 21:11

Stats: 222/209/150 Female 5' 6.5"
BF:39%/34.6%/24%
Progress: 18%

Banana,

You have been LCing since February and you have already lost 54% of your weight? Why go to such drastic measures as a reversal diet? A stall is when you haven't lost any weight for 6 weeks or more. You are not stalled, your body is just adjusting to the loss you have already acheived. Don't sabatoge it yet!

Now, go back and eat that good English butter!!!

-Shelly
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-06-02, 02:31

BF:
Talking English Butter!!!

Hi there shelly,

Sound advice indeed!

I think it was because I had put on 2lbs last week, overnight, no reason, not tom or anything like that, maybe water, don't know, I drink buckets already. I think I panicked and wanted to do something drastic, but to be honest, yesterday just did not feel right! Yes it was nice have a bowl of cereal but not as nice as cream cheese and eggs!! Grass is always greener on the other side isn't it.

What I do need to do is relax a little I'm too hung up on the scales when I should be checking weekly only! I shall try that I think from today. I'm also going to up my carbs and calories a little. I was starting to have problems with the old bowel movements must say that the good dose of fruit did the trick alright !!!

This morning I was back to 139.5lb instead of 141 so at least it helped to get the 1.5lbs off again!

As for English butter, it's not bad, but the French Normandy butter is 'fantastique'!!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys, you're all great!
Banana
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Apr-06-02, 15:27

Plan: dr. atkins
Stats: 158/156/124
BF:
Progress: 6%

What is Lcing anyway? I never heard of it!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Apr-06-02, 15:50

Stats: 222/209/150 Female 5' 6.5"
BF:39%/34.6%/24%
Progress: 18%

English butter sure beats what we get in the States! I actually get good Somerset butter from a gourmet store here in my town. My body is in California but my heart is in the UK! In fact that picture of me was taken in Ludlow!

FYI - Shadowlady, LCing=LowCarbing

Cheers,

Shelly
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Apr-06-02, 15:51

BF:
Smile LCing

Hi there,

Low Carb jargon!