Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 23:33

Plan: Atkins/switched to lowfat
Stats: 180/127/130 Female 5"4
BF:
Progress: 106%
Angry I'm sooo constipated!

Does anyone have any recommendations for constipation? I'm tryed stool softeners, physllium husks, tons of waters, vegies, laxitives. Searching for a solution since the constipation is the only thing holding me back!

Please help

Thanks..
Joy

Last edited by Joys : Fri, Mar-26-04 at 23:50.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 23:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/222/170 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 45%

So sorry to hear you are having problems. Are you eating alot of cheese? You might have to cut back a little on it if you are. Are you exercising? Long walks sometimes help. I'm sure some of the older members here can help you with more ideas. Maybe you could try some of the LC candy that I hear causes softening in alot of Low Carbers.

Congratulations on your weight loss so far!

Vicki B.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 23:58
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 285/272/130 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 8%

Hmm if you've tried laxatives with no luck that would be the extent of my suggestions. I'm lucky to not have this problem. Fiber and veggies seem to do the trick for me. Maybe try a doctor?
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-04, 01:35

Stats: 168/138/130 Female 5'4"
BF:?/27%/15% maybe?
Progress: 79%

Here's my quick 2 cents worth. My mom always swore by black olives. She said that they actually had to take my brother to the hospital once because he was so constipated. The doctor made her give him tons of olives. It worked. She had to give them to him regularly, I think it must be the oil in them or something. But since they're allowed, and they're high fat, It can't hurt to try. Anyways, Good luck. Annie
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-04, 06:25
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 270/215/150 Female 5'4
BF:not sure
Progress: 46%

A wonderful person in the TDC forumn told me - OIL OF OREGENO capsules..honestly, they will clean your clock for you
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-04, 07:49

Stats: 191.5/160/135 Female 5'3
BF:39.8%/?/27%
Progress: 56%

How much psyllium seed husks are you using? Are you getting enough fiber-y veggies?

I've been having a daily spring greens salad with psyllium husks sprinkled on top, and so far I'm doing ok, but.... ok this is gross, you ready? I mean really gross-- avert your eyes, if you can't handle gross stuff... I'm seeing the salad pieces in my poop. So I know it's there, and it's probably helping.

Plus, I'm also indulging in something I shouldn't-- a morning cup of coffee. I drink the coffee, and then I go. Coffee has been known to reduce colon cancer rates, after all. But you probably shouldn't drink it if you're already constipated-- it might just make you cramp worse.

If I were you, I'd cut cheese out for a couple days and load up on salad veggies and celery. If it doesn't work, go see your doctor-- the salad might work well as a preventative but not strong enough for a cure, once there's a clog in the plumbing.

And lots of water!!!!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-04, 16:31

BF:

Thanks for the great suggestions! I'm willing to try all of them!!!! I really like the Oil of Oregano caps idea, I think I'll give that one a go first....

Thanks again!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-04, 17:27
Registered Member

Plan: SB
Stats: 256/200/165 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 62%

Have you ever tried Almonds they have tons of fiber and they are allowed. I usually have around 1/4 cup every couple of days and it really works. 1/4 cup doesn't sound like much but once you pour it out into your hand it really is a lot.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-04, 17:30

Stats: 235/214/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:40
Progress: 28%

I too suffer from constipation and have found the following helps. Cut back the cheese, drink tons of water, eat apro 20 almonds a day or sprinkle ground flax seeds on your food
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-04, 20:55

BF:

I've actually thought about trying the flax seed but wasnt sure if there was a specific kind needed or what amount to use. Any ideas on how much I would need to sprinkle?
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-04, 23:04

Stats: 235/214/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:40
Progress: 28%

I use about a teaspoon at each meal. I bought a package of whole flax seed at the health food store and ground up about a 1/2 cup. (I used a blender but I've heard a coffee bean grinder works well too). I put the ground up stuff in a shaker and shake it on my eggs in the morning and into salads or veggies. It has a slightly nutty taste and the ground seeds should be kept in an airtight container in the fridge. Make sure you drink lots of water because the ground up flax seed absorbs fluids in the bowels.

Good luck, I hope it works for you.

Last edited by Marge : Sun, Mar-28-04 at 22:49.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 21:28

BF:

Thanks! Defenitely going to go to the health food store tomorrow and buy some. Thanks again!