Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Jun-01-07, 22:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooknCajun
After finding a used hand crank pasta machine, I finally tried this recipe over the weekend with disasterous results . I'm sure its due to my unfamiliarity with working with a LC dough versus regular white flour or spelt flour dough. I wish to try it again, but am looking for any hints or tips.

When mixing as per the recipe, I tried kneading the dough after adding just a couple tablespoons water over the 1 called for in the recipe. No problems with stickiness, dough as a ball looked good. But when kneading, big chunks just cleanly broke off. I added a couple tablespoons of water, trying the kneading again. Periodically, I let the dough set per the recipe, then tried to cut and put pieces through the pasta machine on the lowest (largest space) setting. Never could get it to go though in one piece.

I am hopeful and look forward to trying this again. Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

CC

So, like, um, which recipe out of the many linked here, CC?

Sounds like you need a stretchy gluten sub or some such, though.

Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Jun-02-07, 12:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 176/124/135 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 127%

Its the recipe in this thread subject on message one, page one:

http://www.lowcarb.ca/recipes/rrecipe026.html

Thanks for the suggestion IslandGirl but, went by the recipe including the gluten. If I remember correctly, you are a culinary artist. Have you prepared this abovementioned recipe? Any other tips would be appreciated.

Mahalo! :-)
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Jun-02-07, 13:06
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

No, I haven't, but DoreeenT has! I wonder if she can remember that far back...
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Jun-09-07, 10:11
Registered Member

Stats: 260/229/162 Female 178 cm (5' 9 1/2")
BF:
Progress: 32%

From your description of your experience, it sounds like the dough needs more flexibiility. I completely agree with IslandGirl that you need more gluten. Not necessarily gluten flour in the dough, but you need to increase the stretchy gluten component in your pasta recipe. If you are willing to try again, I would personally add more gluten than the recipe calls for, maybe double, and cut back on the soy flour. Kneading is the action that will produce the flexibility.

I would mix it all, knead it until it's tough. Let it rest for 20 minutes (to relax the gluten) and then knead again. Rest again, and try rolling it. If that doesn't work then perhaps it is the sluten you are using? I don't know if gluten loses effectiveness over time or not!

Thanks for posting your trials....

Stacey
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Jun-23-07, 15:07

Stats: 176/124/135 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 127%

Many mahalos!

The gluten I have is called, vital wheat gluten, my hopes are its just the gluten proteins.

I bit the bullet and bought some spelt flour recently. My understanding is that its not low carb at all. I've spent alot of time looking at all the flours at the healthfood store, going over the carbs, still wondering why some people are using oat flour in LC cooking....;-)

But I'm diverging!

I thought that perhaps I would try adding more vital gluten into recipe and trying more kneading as advised. I'm at my "last ten pounds" stage where nothing short of induction is going to get those last pounds off. But since my goal is to create a permanent LC maintenance menu, perfecting this recipe would be very helpful. Having said this, I have some spelt flour on hand in the event adding SOME to the recipe might help.

Part of an effort to keep my weight off post-Atkins 10 years ago was to eat only the pasta I made from spelt flour and eat the potatoes I grew (purple peruvian). It worked for awhile, the spelt parpiadelle with homemade pesto was great! The purple peruvian potatoes I grew and stored made eating those carbs more satisfying not to mention the money saved. Over time, my LC discipline waned and the weigth came back. With the improvement in support, recipes and online community, I wish to keep my WOE low carb for the long haul!!!!

So I realize that using spelt in this instance would be cheating. But if can make a successful batch of pasta that is at least lower carb, perhaps I can improve the carb count and better perfect my preparation technique to make a truly LC pasta.

Many mahalos for the hints and support, in this case I feel that there can't be too many cooks in the kitchen. There is much we can learn from each other's experience and its GREATLY appreciated.

CC