Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-04, 14:48
Contributing Member

Plan: From Atkins to South Beach
Stats: 208/185/160 Female 5'6"
BF:29%
Progress: 48%
Default Looking forward to day off...

March 12 is my birthday, my husband and I have been low carbing since Jan. I have gone through induction on Atkins then switched to SB and started phase one. Finally I have given up alcohol and am on my second try on phase one without the booze Almost done with phase one but I have to say I am sooo looking forward to a day off. Is this a common thing to look forward to a day off? Aren't I supposed to be disciplined by now? Is there anyone else out there who feels the same and how can I do damage control afterwards?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-04, 16:33

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/153/150 Female 5' 6.5''
BF:
Progress: 91%

Hm, Engine9, we seem to often be interested in the same issue. The diet does a lot against carb cravings but alcohol? I agree with you, not. Did stopping alcohol get you out of the stall? I was stalled for over a month, and then did phase 1 again, with nearly no alcohol, and it helps. I don't know how much you want to sin, but for me, 2 glass of wine two days in a row makes a stall, but not a gain. But to get out of stall (which could have been wine or other things for me), I really had to go back to phase 1.

I don't think I will ever be totally disciplined, and the book kind of goes over that - many people seem to be able to sin a bit and not fall off completely. It seems from reading here in the forum, some people can't stop once they have started back in old habits go all the way and not right back. Same with AA - they have studied ex-alcoholics and say they shouldn't ever even have medication with alcohol. You will need to know yourself. I am an ex-smoker, but now I can have a cigarette every 2 month and not become a smoker again - I am optimistic that I can have an evening with too much drink and get over it. If you think from other experience you can control the "day off" I would. But I know there are others here who will disagree, and there are some for whom that doesn't work.

Happy Birthday, and enjoy it whatever you decide!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-04, 18:01
Contributing Member

Plan: From Atkins to South Beach
Stats: 208/185/160 Female 5'6"
BF:29%
Progress: 48%

Thanks for the response. I have to say that after I eliminated the alcohol the stall was over. I did not gain before but was unable to lose. Overall I feel better doing the low carb eating and plan to stay on it, even if I do go off it would only be for a meal or two one day. I just wish I didn't WANT to.