Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 16:31

Plan: The Zone
Stats: 174/174/119
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question Me, my thyroid and the Zone

Hi all!

This is my first post on the site, stumbled across it and was very encouraged by the posts people have put up.

I am hypo-thyroid, and, although I no longer feel the need to sleep all the hours God sent, I've never yet had that "Oh I feel so much better!" feeling. Despite the fact that I've put on over 30lbs, exercise and "sensible" eating seems to make no difference to how my clothes fit, and I have not experienced ANY weight loss, let alone the kind of initial quick loss that many people report once your TSH levels are in the normal range.

I think I'm going to go back to the doc, as after a year in the "normal" range I am still overweight, sluggish and experiencing mood swings.

Just wondered if anyone has any advice - am I over-reacting, is the immediate "whoosh" of weight loss a myth?

I am starting out on the Zone diet, as I tend to feel terrible after high-carb meals, and after reading the books, I'm sold. Have any other hypo- patients had success on the Zone diet? Some encouraging words would be much appreciated!

Good luck to all on your respective journeys.

Say_Rah x
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-14-02, 12:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/147/130 Female 5 ft 3 in.
BF:
Progress: 57%

Unfortunately, you aren't going to have a magically drop in weight. You will have to work at it...at least in my experience. My doctor had me sit down with the nutritionist and we have come up with a modified Zone-type plan that is working well for me. They both say hypothyroid patients don't handle carbs well, but we do need some...I mainly lived off them before. You will also need to exercise ... doesn't have to be a marathon. Just 1 mile walking a day will work wonders to keep your thyroid working. I have been on this plan for a month and lost 9 pounds. It will be slow, but as long as it is coming off, I don't care. I have found that now I am eating more protein and a little fat, I get full and stay full. Before I'd eat and want to never stop. Carbs just didn't fill me up. I'm not as interested in a fast weight loss as I am in developing a plan to live with the rest of my life. By the way, I have 40 pounds to lose, well 31 now!