Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-20-10, 22:56
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 173/150/145 Female 5' 7'
BF:34/28.8/25
Progress: 82%
Default Excuse my dumb question... Blood sugar is 130 2 hrs after eating - is this bad??

Hello, pardon me for barging in on your forum. I'm not a diabetic - or at least I thought I wasn't until tonight.
I'm a visitor from the Carbohydrate Addicts Diet Forum. In case you're not familiar we eat protein & veggies only for 2 meals and can have one meal a day of equal parts protein, veggies and any carb we want (keeping it within 1 hour).
Out of curiosity I wanted to find out if artificial sweeteners spiked my blood sugar so I got a glucose meter and started doing random tests on my BS. I seemed to get good results from my low carb meals - my BS would be about 85 1.5 hrs after a meal. I tested myself tonight 2 hrs. after my meal w/carbs and my BS was 130. That's higher than it should be isn't it? I'm a complete novice when it comes to this blood sugar thing. But wondering if this is something I should be concerned with. Oh and BTW I had 1/2 of my thyroid removed 6 months ago and am now a little low thyroid (I read somewhere on here that sometimes there's a connection). Thanks sooo much for any input you guys can provide and excuse the intrusion!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-20-10, 23:35
Registered Member

Update - Now 3 hours after eating my carb meal (It was a big green salad with veggies, some turkey-sausage, 2 slices of thin crust pizza and a hazelnut latte) my blood sugar is at 81.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-10, 08:46

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 226/181.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:Why yes it is!
Progress: 59%

No, a blood sugar of 130 2 hrs post prandial is excellent! And then you dropped right back to ideal. Great! 130 is as high as you would want to go, and you would expect to see that right when you did. Super. Keep up the good work!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-10, 09:39

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

You're fine, but don't get caught up in the idea that you have room to add a few more slices of pizza... 81 3 hours after pizza and a latte is excellent...

Remember, BG and metabolism go hand in hand, and lower BG numbers is somewhat an indication of a good metabolism, so if you can maintain 80 bg numbers while maintaining weight and you eat to start averaging 90 bg numbers, you're probably going to be in a weight gain mode....
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-10, 11:01
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

It probably hits the peak about 1 hour after eating. If it goes above 140 you should probably think about cutting back on the carbs.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-10, 13:17
Registered Member

Thanks so much for the great input/advice guys!!That's the most amount of carbs I ever eat and I'm trying to cut that down too (or at least stick with complex carbs). It's a work on progress but I'm relieved to find out the numbers are ok. Thanks a mill!!!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-15-10, 12:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 183/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 94%

I agree with Nancy you need to always keep it below 140 and that at 1hr. 130 at 2 hrs means you were much higher at 1 hr. Now 130 at 1 hr would be great! Thanks my take on the studies ive done
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-15-10, 17:26

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%
Lightbulb Post prandial BG

130 after 2 hours is ok FOR A DIABETIC.
Nondiabetics,after a carby meal,can have very high BG's but,because
they are not diabetics,their BG returns to normal after a few minutes.
Cheers
Eddie
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Aug-16-10, 10:16

BF:

As a diabetic I strive for no higher than 120 2hr pp. Dr Bernstein says it should be back in the 90's or lower. Its Dr speak that its okay that high but its not their toes being chopped off! Sorry I so totally disagree with 130 2hr pp. But we each have to do what we are comfortable with!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-17-10, 21:54

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 115/115/115 Female 5'7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by knorris47
As a diabetic I strive for no higher than 120 2hr pp. Dr Bernstein says it should be back in the 90's or lower. Its Dr speak that its okay that high but its not their toes being chopped off! Sorry I so totally disagree with 130 2hr pp. But we each have to do what we are comfortable with!

1) This is all near impossible for a type 1.Please specify your type when posting.I'm equally scared of postprandial highs and lows- are you?

2) I'm not sure this alarmist kind of language motivates anyone.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-10, 05:33

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

600 mg of alpha lipoic acid pills a day helps to offset
the effects of moderately high BG(around 140).
I don't think anyone would have to have any limbs amputated
if their glucose was 130 forever-just my opinion.
Trying to stay cool in hot humid Houston
Eddie
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-10, 07:42

BF:

Alarmist?! Dr B says lower than that and he is T1. Thankfully I'm not T1 so I don't have to worry about lows. Sorry I was and have been going by what the good dr says. Sorry to alarm anyone! And yes that's exactly what keeps me straight chopped off toes and all.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-10, 09:07

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 115/115/115 Female 5'7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I'm wondering if we might institute a warning label at the beginning of a post if the poster intends to use gruesome imagery. I've lived with diabetes since I was a child- what keeps me going is fitness, positivity and a low carb diet. In fact, I think diabetes has made me *more* fit that I would be if I were nondiabetic.
Perhaps gruesome imagery motivates you, but I'd prefer not to encounter it when I am reading a forum for advice about health.
My proposal: if your post contains gruesome imagery, put a warning at the beginning.

As for what Dr. B recommends: yes, that is a *recommendation* but it hardly applies to all situations. For example, if I know I'm going to be training to run a long distance, I *need* to start at 180,or I'll plummet. It has always interested me that Dr. B does not do cardio- perhaps his recommendations make it difficult.

V.