Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 17:35
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 136/134/122 Female 5'5"
BF:23.5
Progress: 14%
Question Natural Thyroid Medication

Does anyone take Natural meidcation for there hypothyroid problem? If so what do u take and does it work?

I think i have a thyroid problem. My doctor says my thyroid test came back ok. I've taken it on my own to check my basal temperature everyday, since it is more accurate than testing by blood. So far my temperature is fairly low considering my thyroid is said to be "normal."

Hopefully they will figure it own soon what really is making me sick and gain weight uncontrolably

Rachel
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 18:51

Plan: Somersize/Atkins
Stats: 176/168/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 20%

I don't use natural thyroid, but know that you can get it. However, you might want to try kelp before taking a thyroid replacement. Kelp is supposed to help.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-02, 05:47
Registered Member

Stats: 136/134/122 Female 5'5"
BF:23.5
Progress: 14%

Thank you for the suggestions i will try that

Rachel
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-02, 07:31

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Try to get the actual number of your TSH test. Many labs will consider normal to be under 5, yet many people only feel well when it is under 2. If yours is testing in the high range, go to www.about.com. It has an excellent thyroid site with articles you can show your doctor to try to convince him/her to give you at least a trial period of thyroid hormone.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-02, 09:44

Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I take a natural thyroid med. It's called Armour and as the name suggests, it's made from pigs. My doctor is an osteopathic doctor who believes in wellness and using herbs and natural meds when it works. He has also taken me off Prempro HRT and given me estrodial and prometrium because he said they are both identical to the human hormones.

I think the Armour works great. I'm not sure what the dosage is, but I take one pill in the morning as soon as I get up--on an empty stomach. My doctor took a series of 4 tests for thyroid and even sent me for a sonogram of my neck. He said that most of his patients show normal on the first TSH test, but if he tests other ways, it shows up. IThe thyroid may be present in your blood, but your body may not be using it properly.

Also in the Eat 4 Your Blood Type book, it says not to eat cabbage because it can interfere with your body's ability to use it's thyroid. Just another suggestion.