Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-07-17, 12:29

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/153/150 Female 5' 6.5''
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default Dried Tofu skin aka Tofu sheets can be used as low carb vegan wraps, spaghetti etc.

Recently found "tofu skin" in an Asian market. It works great as a wrap, has a sturdy enough feeling like a real wrap, but is mostly protein.

Dried Tofu skin is extremely versatile. In addition to its use as shown, it can be cut like Spaghetti, added as strips to soup etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my tofu wrap small.jpg (60.4 KB, 23 views)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-04-17, 10:42

Plan: lazy keto
Stats: 238/235/190 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 6%

Cool idea, thank you for sharing
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-24-18, 14:51

Plan: Atkins Concept
Stats: 225/190/175 Male 70.5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

I just discovered tofu noodles, etc. myself recently. I never though of using the sheets as a wrap, but that give me another idea...I will have to get some of the sheets and see how they behave as a dumpling wrapper.

I had just gotten really good at making Shumai dumplings right before I decide to go low carb. If the tofu sheets could replace the dumpling wrappers, it could open up a whole new batch of food preparations for me.

I've only tried the spaghetti style noodles but should have boiled them. I tossed them straight in an Asian stir fry and they were a little bit like eating dry rotted rubber bands! The taste was fine, just the texture was way too "al dente"
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-27-18, 21:01
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Just wanted to point out that tofu shirataki noodles are not the same thing as yuba, a.k.a. tofu skin . In fact, neither has any tofu in it .

Tofu is made from ground dry soybeans mixed with boiling water to make soy milk. The strained soy milk is heated with a coagulant which causes it to separate into curds and whey .. just like dairy cheese! The soy curds are pressed into tofu blocks. "Silken tofu" is made differently, nonetheless is basically coagulated soy milk.

Tofu shirataki noodles are made from konjac flour (a.k.a. glucomannan fiber) mixed with a small amount of defatted soy flour, blended with water and formed into noodle shapes. They're sold in bags of water with calcium chloride, which helps keep the noodles from dissolving into a gelatinous blob.

Yuba, or "tofu skin" is the skin formed on top of boiled soy milk. If you've ever boiled dairy milk, you've likely seen a skin form on top. It's the same with soy milk. The skin is lifted with a rod and dried into sheets or cut into strips.

Yuba/tofu skin, is high in protein and low in carbs It's readily found in Asian groceries, but can also be found online. Yuba must be soaked in hot water to soften before use. Strips can be used as a noodle sub .. sheets can be used to wrap fillings, then fried (or baked). Fried yuba/tofu skin will be "sort of" crispy, but not like a starch-based crust. Think of a fried egg that's browned and crispy on the edges.

Hope this helps