Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-08, 16:01
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

I found it interesting and a bit creepy that the fat itself turns into an inflamed endocrine system. I haven't read any diet doctor's opinion on it except for Agatston in the new "Supercharged" book and his opinion is that weight loss and exercise help quite a bit. Obviously, the more you lose of that deep visceral fat, the better off you will be. That is why everyone is so concerned about waist measurements and waist to hip ratios.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-08, 16:19
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

It also looks like blood tests can detect visceral adiposity. That'll be useful for those who don't have a lot of subcutaneous adiposity.
  #78   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-08, 07:24

Plan: Test-Test-Test w/insulin
Stats: 170/145/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:approx 31%
Progress: 100%

Glucosamine will DEFINITELY raise blood sugar. I have heard that from several people.
  #79   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-08, 08:17
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottadata
Glucosamine will DEFINITELY raise blood sugar. I have heard that from several people.

I don't think it's the case with me. I hate to stop because it takes so long to get the "loading" done (that's what my vet calls that 4-8 weeks before it works). But perhaps after this bottle runs out I'll try going without for a couple weeks.
  #80   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-08, 19:35

Plan: Test-Test-Test w/insulin
Stats: 170/145/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:approx 31%
Progress: 100%

Nancy,

It may well be a trade off where even if glucosamine does raise blood sugar a bit, it is worth putting up with it to get the relief for your joints.

From what I've read it is SO much better for you than the pain pills which over time erode the joints.
  #81   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-08, 07:18

Plan: Dr. Bernstein (modified )
Stats: 298/205/199 Male 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottadata
Nancy,

It may well be a trade off where even if glucosamine does raise blood sugar a bit, it is worth putting up with it to get the relief for your joints.

From what I've read it is SO much better for you than the pain pills which over time erode the joints.

I agree.

It is so much more important to do your best with respect to keeping joints healthy as possible.

I also take glucosamine and have done so for quite awhile.

I never really tried to see its impact on blood sugar.

It is simply amazing all of these cross-links between different remedies and your blood sugar levels.

Best wishes,

Ralph
  #82   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-08, 08:28
Experimenter

BF:

Well, like I'm said, I'm skeptical it is the glucosamine it seems like it pre-dates my taking that. But I'm not 100% certain.

I would like to figure this out, just in case it isn't that.
  #83   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-08, 08:39
Experimenter

BF:

Well, I hate to gloat yet but for the past two days my BG has been about 10-15 points lower. I had a FBG of 90 this morning and it was about that yesterday too.

No idea why. Taking an even higher dose of thyroid meds now and still taking the glucosamine. I must say though, I'm feeling better than I have in awhile. More energy (from thyroid, I know) and my joints are being really nice right now. Maybe it has to do with autoimmune disease flaring or something.
  #84   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-08, 11:44
Experimenter

BF:

My body baffles me. Now my blood sugar is reading kind of on the low side again. 78 this morning!

Menopause? Thyroid?

I don't know. But... underlying it all I feel GOOD! With my recent increase in thyroid meds I don't collapse with fatigue in the afternoon, I stay awake all day and I've been sleeping really well at night. My joints feel good too!