Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-24-04, 07:48

Plan: GI
Stats: 254/254/160 Female 74"
BF:
Progress:
Default Giving GI a Go

I'm new around here

I'm just wondering how many people out there are doing GI plans as I'm about to give it a go (from the Gallop book).

In essence I first did Atkins in 2000 and lost over 4 stone on it before falling very ill with something that was eventually diagnosed as either Fibromyalgia or ME (doctors can't seem to make up their mind which). At that point, what with not being able to exercise at all and throwing up the instant meat or cheese passed my lips, I started to pile the weight back on until I was bigger than I was when I started!

Early this summer, with my Fibro/ME more on an even keel, I decided to embark on Atkins again but this time it simply didn't work. Despite charting everything I put in my mouth (no processed foods) and keeping to 20g a day, I simply yoyo'd up and down 2lbs every week for 4 months. I could tell from my charts (Fitday) that an average day was 2000 calories so decided to cut down there to 1600....still no loss, just the 2lb yoyo. Not only that but I started to get headaches on an almost daily basis, stomach pains and the Fibro pains started getting a lot worse - despite lowcarb being recommended for Fibro/ME sufferers. I am on long-term medication that I know inhibits weight loss, however Atkins failing me still came as something of a blow.

Anyway, I've been reading about low GI eating and it does seem to fit in with my preferred lifestyle - I've always missed things like oatmeal and fruit on Atkins. What I don't need is any diet where I have to stick to somebody else's preset meal plans or where I have to weigh everything down to the last gram. At this point I just want to eat heathily, feel better and hope the weight comes down again as a result.

So is anyone out there trying a GI diet and having any positive results in general health and/or weight loss?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-25-04, 20:10
Registered Member

Plan: Cathi Graham
Stats: 354/346/210 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default The Trouble with Tribbles...

Hi,
I'm doing the Cathi Graham Fresh Start Plan. I've lost 37lbs in about 3 months with cionsiderable cheating on my part....

I don't claim to be an expert but I'll help any way I can...
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-06-04, 19:45
Registered Member

Plan: Eat Yourself Slim
Stats: 165/155/140 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 40%
Wink

Hi Tribble and welcome to the boards!

I am on a GI Diet. It's the diet I feel the least deprived on. I can enjoy oatmeal, WW bread, whole grain cereals, fruit etc. that you can't on Atkins. I tried Atkins but after Induction I stopped losing weight and I missed those foods too much. I think that a GI diet has more variety and that is why it's easier for me to stick to long-term as a WOE, and I feel healthier on it. Best of all, no carb counting

So I think you could give it a try! I am averaging 2-3lbs a week and I am very happy.

Good luck!! -Anne
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-08-04, 04:14

Plan: GI diet
Stats: 162/158/147 Female 5' 7.5"
BF:
Progress: 27%

Hiya,

I've been GI'ing for about 5 weeks now. I started on Charles Clarke / Atkins and had no issues with those diets at all (loved the food!) except that I just didn't lose weight - just maintained.

Since GI'ing I've been losing about a lb per week - very slow and steady, but very satisfactory. For me I think the balance I needed was a bit higher carb and a bit lower fat. Once I get to target, I'll up my fat levels again (mmm tuna mayonnaise!!) for maintenance.

I'm enjoying the WOE - not a huge fan of fruit anyway, but I'm liking porridge for breakfast!

Obviously each to their own and I do feel envious of those who can lose loads on Atkins, but I think GI is working for me now...

Good luck!