Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-18, 16:51

Plan: my own
Stats: 268/248/200 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default how to without soy?

new with vegetarianism

sometimes eat cheese sometimes eggs
but want to eliminate them

but would rather not have to go to soy
for protein
am i just stuck with peanut butter?

(as i cant have nuts as i have teeth issues
which is why peanut butter is ok)

beans are too high in carbs for my diabetes control
( i eat mainly protein and a few low carb veggies rarely grains)

any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-18, 19:14

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

I would start with food combining, to pair up foods for their protein profile. Determine the amount of total protein to meet your needs. Then see how much carb is in a serving.

There are 8-10 , essential amino acids. My mom mixed peanut butter with dried milk, and corn plus soy is good. There are more combos.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-18, 20:18

Plan: Primal/IF
Stats: 220/165/176 Female 5'10"
BF:~40%/26.3%/29%
Progress: 125%

Mycoprotein is around 13g of protein per cup, rice and beans, Quinoa and high protein vegies like asparagus, broccoli and brussels sprouts
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-18, 07:20

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

There were some good suggestions in this thread https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/vegetarian (beside eggs, greek yogurt and hemp seeds) and another good list further down this page.

However, you may want to make the decision on what proteins to include based on your #1 Health priority...which would seem to be Reversing Diabetes. Why eliminate eggs and cheese now if you also want to eat very low carb for diabetes control (20g crabs)? The more starches you need to replace the eggs, cheese and fish, the harder to control BG. https://www.dietdoctor.com/diabetes

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Oct-17-18 at 07:27.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-18, 09:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Broccoli, avocado. I was vegetarian for two years and stayed away from processed soy, but pure soy "milk" made from just soybeans and water - Trader Joe's, for example - is a good source of protein. Organic tofu enriched with nigari (calcium source) is also a great source of protein. You can have them in moderate amounts and not worry - in fact, they're good sustenance for vegetarians.

Consider keeping eggs in your diet. You can still be a vegetarian and eat eggs. Get ones that resonate with you in terms of pastured, free range, humanely raised, vegetarian fed, omega-3 enriched, etc.

Tahini (ground sesame seeds) diluted with water and lemon juice makes a delicious salad dressing or sauce and is also a good protein source.

Feta cheese is good to use as a condiment, to crumble on salads and such. I know you said you want to dump the cheese, but it may ultimately help to keep a teeny bit in your diet as a topping or garnish.

Full-fat plain yogurt, especially Greek, is also excellent.

Good luck!

Last edited by barb712 : Wed, Oct-17-18 at 10:04.