Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-26-16, 10:10

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default LCHF and Diabetes: Science and Clinical Experience - Dr Eric Westman

DietDoctor has posted a new excerpt from one of Dr Westman's best talks.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf-dia...al-experience-2

The presentation:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/member/p...ions/westman-sd

Quote:
Dr. Eric Westman is one of the true pioneers of LCHF, and has treated patients successfully with it for decades. In this presentation, he talks about his experiences, the science behind it, and a practical guide to reverse type 2 diabetes.

Table of contents
2:58 What diabetes really comes down to
7:57 History of treating diabetes
12:03 Differences between the two types
14:54 The guidelines – a high-carb diet and medicine
15:45 How low in carbs can you go?
17:43 Low carb and its effects on insulin and glucose
24:52 What to eat on LCHF?
30:34 Lowered blood glucose, insulin and weight
44:15 Summary
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-26-16, 19:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

He's a great guy.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-27-16, 05:25

Yes he is, and is sharing his advice on diabetes in a number of new venues. Has been speaking more at the various LC events around the country, added a FacebookLive series on Diabetes with four experts at the AdaptYourLife page for November, Diabetes month https://www.facebook.com/AdaptYourLife/?ref=ts&fref=ts and 35 short FAQ videos, and the Welcome Kit at www.healclinics.com will be emailed for free, no obligation. It is the same plan used at the Duke Lifestyle Clinic, the list of permitted foods now page 12-14. The 2017 schedule for the monthly support group meetings was posted, so they should also continue and assume be available to watch on Periscope. Many places to hear him, but the quality of the recordings and interviews on DietDoctor are the best so far.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-12-16, 03:53

DietDoctor has made Dr Westman's second presentation at LC Vail available to everyone, it is not only on the membership page.
This one is also excellent and only a half hour, good to share to explain how LC works to control Diabetes. Transcript attached too.

LCHF and Diabetes
https://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf-dia...dr-eric-westman

Quote:
Table of contents

1:14 Treatment of diabetes a hundred years ago
5:29 Diabetic diet in the pre-insulin era
8:55 Guidelines favor medications and high carb
10:15 Best science on low carb and blood sugar
12:25 You don’t need to eat carbohydrates
16:45 One teaspoon of sugar in the blood stream
18:15 Clinical experience with 20 g carbs /day
23:15 Happy patients – and happy doctors!
26:15 It’s so unbelievable – people don’t believe it

https://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf-dia...dr-eric-westman
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-12-16, 09:38

I clicked ahead to 18:15 Clinical experience... I'm glad to here he's not asking his patients to get into "optimal" ketosis referencing Phinney.

My impression is that he is the most data based, science based, practical guy in the LC community.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-12-16, 09:40

He says the #1 effect is carb quantity and he does not go for meat quality because he does not want to discourage people who do not want "grass fed this or organic that..."

Love it!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-13-16, 04:27

Simple is good...one reason questions over "Ketogenic" diets drive me a bit crazy....didn't hit my "fat macro". Eat fat bombs. Measure and limit protein.

That is not how he introduces the diet in the clinic, and unless weight loss stops and the client themselves wants to make it more complicated and track macros, there is no "tracking" at all. No concern about quality of foods unless there are hidden fillers or breading. Eat only what's on the list, measure vegetables, cream and cheese and you will be under 20g, it can work for all socio-economic classes. That old campy amateur video of an introduction class to the diet is the definition of practical.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Dec-13-16, 09:03

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

I read the transcript. I see he's got a website now that sells products, https://www.adaptyourlife.com/. They look good, but pricey.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Nov-02-17, 06:19

Dr. Westman Answers Questions and explains how "YOU can treat and Fix your T2 Diabetes" on this new Ask Adapt video.

https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/as...482803561798423

ps: I have never bought Adapt products, not that they don't work for some people, but with my health history I stick to real foods as much as possible. If traveling, I might pick up a Quest bar because I can find it at Trader Joe's and not go out of my way to get one.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Feb-24-18, 07:33

Appears that the Cleveland Clinic is now offering the Ketogenic Diet in their Diabetes Clinic, 20 years after Dr Westman.

Is it safe? Yes, with medical supervision.
https://health.clevelandclinic.org/...-with-diabetes/
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Feb-24-18, 07:56

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

From the Cleveland Clinic article:

Quote:
Originally created in the 1920s as a treatment for epilepsy, the ketogenic diet is low in carbohydrate (less than 20 grams a day), high in protein, and moderate to high in fat.

Seems they don't quite get it yet but a step in the right direction. How about changing that to moderate in protein or at least moderate to high in protein, moderate to high in fat, adjusted for individual needs and response.

Also, adjusting medications may require a doctor, although not necessarily as long as a people educate themselves, but simply eating a ketogenic diet can be done entirely without medical supervision.

Doctors are the ones who screwed things up by switching from advising a low carb diet for diabetes to advising a low fat diet. This switch then required more and more medication to lower blood sugars and now the medical profession advises that it is necessary to consult them in order to get people off the medication that was inappropriately prescribed in the first place rather than originally counseling people to eat a low carb diet. Sounds like a racket to me .

Jean
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-18, 05:23

This forum has success stories sections but many of the experiences specific to Diabetes end up on the FB pages related to Dr. Westman's and Dr. Fung's clinic plans. I read stories like this everyday...

Quote:
Think you’re too old to reverse diabetes? Think again.
My dad is 85 years old with T2D. He’s been taking medication for over a decade. In April his FBS was over 250 and he was appropriately concerned. I urged him to adopted a ketogenic lifestyle and he was willing to try it. He read every book I gave him, changed his diet drastically and within less than a week, his BS had normalized (meaning, no more spikes but still above 140). His dr took him off glipizide that week. Since then he has lost 30 lbs, his A1C is now 5.7 and his fbs hovers around 100. His dr said he is no longer considered a diabetic. (We don’t agree with her YET...we’ll continue to work to get his A1C lower before we do the victory dance on diabetes’ lousy filthy head!)
Now my mother. She is 87 years old and has had T2D for nearly 30 years. During this time she has been morbidly obese thanks to carbage, insulin resistance and steroids for an autoimmune disease. One year ago her A1C was 11.0. In the spring she began this ketogenic lifestyle under duress and fully against her will. 😂 Since my dad and I are doing the shopping and cooking she doesn’t get the option to eat all the “healthy food” (ugh) recommended by the ADA. Yesterday she went to the dr and she has lost a whopping 42 lbs and her A1C is 6.6. We are over the moon excited and she is actually starting to believe that even SHE can beat diabetes! I’d also like to add that she has thyroid disease making this dramatic reversal that much more amazing.
When the dr asked what they were doing to lose weight/get control of their diabetes, my dad boldly declared, “Keto!” The doctors eyes widened and she said, “Ohhhh keto is perfect for diabetics!”
Keto works, y’all! HOORAY!!!