Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-16, 04:11

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default There is only ONE Normal

New post by LowCarbRN on Normal blood sugars.

https://lowcarbrn.wordpress.com/201...al-blood-sugar/ With charts that don't copy.

Quote:
I was doing another post today about “normal” vs “optimal” health markers. This subject was deeply on my mind, but really deserved it’s own post. Although this one will be short and sweet, to the point! I need to ask…does this chart bother anyone else as much as it does me?

This chart that makes people think that a blood sugar of 150 or 180 is GOOOOOOOD!?!? Diabetic or not, blood sugar that is 2-3 times true normal blood sugar is NEVER GOOD! There has become a double standard in blood sugar control. We have “normal” and we have “diabetic normal.” Why? How can you call blood sugar “normal” that is causing organ damage, is contributing to heart disease, strokes, Alzheimer’s, kidney disease, erectile dysfunction, and can lead to blindness and amputations?

Having a second standard of “normal” blood sugar, as in “diabetic normal” is giving those with diabetes the false sense of security thinking that an A1c of 6.0 – 7.0% is healthy, that they don’t need to modify their lifestyle any further because they are in the “normal” range. This has done a HUGE disservice to those with diabetes.

Blood sugar is only normal when it is in the SAME RANGE as those WITHOUT diabetes.

There is only ONE normal.

“Diabetics are entitled to the same normal blood sugars as non-diabetics,” – Dr. Richard K. Bernstein (Type 1 Diabetic for 60+ years).

Yes, they ABSOLUTELY are! And that is what people with diabetes should confidently strive for.

Referring to post: "My doctor told me I was Normal"
https://lowcarbrn.wordpress.com/201...e-i-was-normal/

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Aug-14-16 at 04:22.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-16, 17:27

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

from the article:
Quote:
This subject is close to my heart. I have a dear friend with A1c’s in the 6’s who thinks that this is just fine, that there is no need to give up candy+, that there was no need to exercise because her A1c is 6.8% and she has been told that this is “GREAT” control of her diabetes. Did I mention that she can’t feel her feet? She was told that this is just the “natural” progression of diabetes. NO IT ISN’T.

The person who got me really serious about fixing my diet was an acquaintance who lost both legs above the knee to diabetes. He lost his life a couple months ago, which is when I found out he was only a little older than I am - 66. He seemed a lot older. A mutual friend told me that when he would get very depressed about his condition, he would say, "Nobody told me what would happen."

When are doctors going to tell their patients the truth? We are OWED the truth - it's the only way we can really take responsibility for our health. I have neuropathy in my toes - I swear that's as far as it's going to go.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-16, 17:46

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
from the article:

The person who got me really serious about fixing my diet was an acquaintance who lost both legs above the knee to diabetes. He lost his life a couple months ago, which is when I found out he was only a little older than I am - 66. He seemed a lot older. A mutual friend told me that when he would get very depressed about his condition, he would say, "Nobody told me what would happen."

When are doctors going to tell their patients the truth? We are OWED the truth - it's the only way we can really take responsibility for our health. I have neuropathy in my toes - I swear that's as far as it's going to go.

I've said this before. The image of my paternal grandmother in a wheel chair with both legs amputated serves as a constant motivation for me to avoid that fate. Certainly doctors need to tell patients the truth but it seems that they first have to learn the truth. Dr Fung says that if doctors were to face the truth they would have to deal with the fact that for their whole careers they have not been helping patients but harming them. Keeping their heads in the sand is much less psychologically painful. Of course we "patients" are often guilty of the same head in the sand approach, letting ourselves rationalize our inability to stick with a low carb eating plan while forgetting the long range consequences of these rationalizations. I am so grateful that I finally took my head out of the sand.

Jean

Last edited by cotonpal : Thu, Aug-18-16 at 18:04.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-16, 18:01
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Do we already have a thread on the forum where people can discuss circulation problems like neuropathy? When I did an advanced search, I came up with nothing.

While I am not diagnosed with T2D, my father had unbearable peripheral neuropathy before it had a name. The only thing the doctors did was give him Oxy which eventually led to dementia, followed by death. When I feel the slightest twinge in my feet, I double down on my special DIY home remedies.

I'm sure there are others here who might share their own tips.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-16, 18:25

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
I am so grateful that I finally took my head out of the sand.

Jean

I think my head was somewhere else, but I also am grateful that I was able to take it out.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-16, 18:28

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
Do we already have a thread on the forum where people can discuss circulation problems like neuropathy? When I did an advanced search, I came up with nothing...
I'm sure there are others here who might share their own tips.

That's an excellent idea! I'd like to know what others are doing, too.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-16, 18:36

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
I think my head was somewhere else, but I also am grateful that I was able to take it out.

There too

Jean
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-16, 07:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

In other diseases, if you already have the DX, then ranges at the high end of normal are considered signs of problems.

My endocrinologist will increase my Armour Thyroid if my TSH and T4 are still within the very wide range considered normal, but I am symptomatic.

It should be the same with BGs. If you are consistently posting anywhere above 100, and you have already been identified as at risk, or full blown T2D, there should be strong intervention.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-16, 20:46

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
It should be the same with BGs. If you are consistently posting anywhere above 100, and you have already been identified as at risk, or full blown T2D, there should be strong intervention.

Yes, but the strong intervention should be VLCHF + fasting if necessary. Even endocrinologists who think the intervention is necessary, will probably prescribe insulin. It's a damn shame.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-16, 21:10

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

The problem is that people who are diabetic probably like their cake and ice cream and would not do LC if told to. I personally have seen those same people inject the insulin based on the desserts they have planned. If doctors didn't prescribe drugs to control it they would be held liable for the progression of the disease.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-16, 21:19

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
The problem is that people who are diabetic probably like their cake and ice cream and would not do LC if told to. I personally have seen those same people inject the insulin based on the desserts they have planned. If doctors didn't prescribe drugs to control it they would be held liable for the progression of the disease.

True, but on the other hand, we often are not given the whole story when we're diagnosed. I sure wasn't. It took me a long time to find Dr. Bernstein's book and then various lchf websites. Even then, I was often discouraged by stories of diabetics getting off insulin & getting their bg down to normal within a month or 2. I kept wondering what was wrong with me.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-16, 22:53

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

That's true Bonny and thank goodness you are one who is proactive about your own health, but so many are not.
It's not like in the old days before the internet so all people could look up their drugs and read articles but many will not.
Sadly, many would rather blindly take the drugs with out even knowing how it will effect the rest of their body.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Aug-20-16, 04:17

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 180/169/135 Female 61 in.
BF:
Progress: 24%

I took a look at that article. So is she saying that 80 is what people should aim for? Those of you who are diabetic what is your target range?
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Aug-20-16, 07:20

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maycan
I took a look at that article. So is she saying that 80 is what people should aim for? Those of you who are diabetic what is your target range?

Yep. I cheer when my fbg is in the 80s. It isn't always, so I've got plenty of work to do.

What I have yet to figure out is why my bg is so slow to go down after meals. Something more to learn!
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Aug-20-16, 07:26

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 180/169/135 Female 61 in.
BF:
Progress: 24%

My morning bg is always high 95-120. My between meal bg is usually 85-95. I imagine I would have to drop one of my vegetable servings in order to go lower OR I need to ramp up the exercise to help my cells become more sensitive????

My bg drop slowly also. It takes about 3-4 hours before I am below 100. I go up 10-30 points after eating.

Hmm....