Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 21:08

Plan: sommersizing
Stats: 220/210/150
BF:
Progress: 14%
Smile Synthroid, Cytomel User

Hi:
I'm new to this so hope I'm getting this in the right forum.
I was diagnosed as hypothyroid about a year and a half ago after quitting smoking. My research on this says that this sometimes triggers a thyroid storm as it did in my case.
The diagnosis was part of a routine annual physical. I asked my doctor to do a thyroid test since it runs in my family.
He called me after the test to inform me that my TSH count was extremely high - in the 9 area and I needed to get started on medication immediately. I started on the Synthroid and became extremely depressed! To the point where I felt like I was walking around in a fog. The symptoms did not clear up with longer usage and I started doing some of my own research.
I discovered that some people do not do well on just the one thyroid hormone, T3 and need to have T4 added.
I bought Mary Shomon's book Living Well With Hypothyroidism: What Your Doctor Doesn't Tell You ... It is probably one of the best books about Thyroid disorders ever. She also has a website
http://thyroid.about.com/mbody.htm
I went back to my GP armed with all my research and he sent me to an endroconlogist - and scheduled another test to see whether I was in fact producing the T4 hormone - I wasn't.
The endro put me on Cytomel - the lowest dose possible (25 mcg, cut in half) but really didn't think it would make much difference.
The depression lifted almost immediately.
In my research when I typed in Cytomel in my search engine, I found that most body builders use this drug to lose weight rapidly.
They take gradually increasing doses - and I guess the weight melts off.
Has anyone heard of people doing this? I'm still on my Synthroid (0.125 mg) and the Cytomel.
I was hoping that this would trigger my metabolism and I'd drop some weight but that hasn't happened. I haven't had my T4 level tested recently but am wondering if I could probably double that dose without any ill effects.
I tried a low carb (no carb) diet for about 2 weeks and got so tired that I re-introduced the carbs - not to the extent I was doing before but the tiredness went away.
I haven't lost anything.
Does the coconut oil change your metabolism.
I also read the posting on ammino acids that stimulate HGH in your system.
Do you do this in addition to lo carbing and coconut oil?
Any ill effects?
I would appreciate hearing from anyone with similar problems.

Ladygem
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-14-03, 20:17

Plan: atkins
Stats: 199/195/150
BF:Hmm, good Q
Progress: 8%

Hi Lady,

I can somewhat relate to your issues.
First, let me tell you that synthroid is a T-4 hormone / cytomel is T-3.
Synthroid takes about 6 full weeks before you notice any changes in feeling, etc.
Cytomel takes effect immediately.
I tried the cytomel weight loss theory - it didn't work!
The synthroid/cytomel combo did make me feel better though - was less depressed, etc. but the weight loss didn't happen!
I wouldn't increase dosage though. That could be dangerous and if you read the web site (Cytomel) it says you shouldn't use cytomel for weight loss for more than two weeks!
Soooo, I'm sure there must be some ill effect to it.

Good luck and I hope you find what works for you!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-03, 19:20

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 138/115/115 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Synthroid, Cytomel User

Hi,
I am in cytomel 12.5mcg and wondered if you noticed any kind of a weird insulin hypoglycemic reaction when you took this. according to dr. schwarzbein's principle book, cytomel will cause further insulin resistance. as will synthroid. i wonder if anyone loses weight while on these drugs?? need to do more reseach i guess. if you come across anything, please fill me in! thanks and good luck, Kay

Quote:
Originally posted by ladygem
Hi:
I'm new to this so hope I'm getting this in the right forum.
I was diagnosed as hypothyroid about a year and a half ago after quitting smoking. My research on this says that this sometimes triggers a thyroid storm as it did in my case.
The diagnosis was part of a routine annual physical. I asked my doctor to do a thyroid test since it runs in my family.
He called me after the test to inform me that my TSH count was extremely high - in the 9 area and I needed to get started on medication immediately. I started on the Synthroid and became extremely depressed! To the point where I felt like I was walking around in a fog. The symptoms did not clear up with longer usage and I started doing some of my own research.
I discovered that some people do not do well on just the one thyroid hormone, T3 and need to have T4 added.
I bought Mary Shomon's book Living Well With Hypothyroidism: What Your Doctor Doesn't Tell You ... It is probably one of the best books about Thyroid disorders ever. She also has a website
http://thyroid.about.com/mbody.htm
I went back to my GP armed with all my research and he sent me to an endroconlogist - and scheduled another test to see whether I was in fact producing the T4 hormone - I wasn't.
The endro put me on Cytomel - the lowest dose possible (25 mcg, cut in half) but really didn't think it would make much difference.
The depression lifted almost immediately.
In my research when I typed in Cytomel in my search engine, I found that most body builders use this drug to lose weight rapidly.
They take gradually increasing doses - and I guess the weight melts off.
Has anyone heard of people doing this? I'm still on my Synthroid (0.125 mg) and the Cytomel.
I was hoping that this would trigger my metabolism and I'd drop some weight but that hasn't happened. I haven't had my T4 level tested recently but am wondering if I could probably double that dose without any ill effects.
I tried a low carb (no carb) diet for about 2 weeks and got so tired that I re-introduced the carbs - not to the extent I was doing before but the tiredness went away.
I haven't lost anything.
Does the coconut oil change your metabolism.
I also read the posting on ammino acids that stimulate HGH in your system.
Do you do this in addition to lo carbing and coconut oil?
Any ill effects?
I would appreciate hearing from anyone with similar problems.

Ladygem
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-03, 19:26

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 138/115/115 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Re: Synthroid, Cytomel User

ladygem,
i htink you might be confused. synthroid is for t4 and cytomel is for t3. it's assumed that if you make t4, you then convert to t3 (the active form that raises metabolism etc) some people have t4 but do not convert it to t3 so its worthless. (that's me) too much insulin gets in the way of converting to t3 so i would think that i low carb diet would work?? well, i will try and let you know if li lose any weight!!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 14:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 150/138/130
BF:
Progress:
Default synthroid/cytomel

I have been on a combo. of these for 2 1/2 years. Synthroid alone does nothing for the depression, and although my numbers come up I don't feel much better. I feel more normal on the combo. However, i have not found that it is a guarunteed weight loss. I have to follow Atkins very strictly, and i run all the time....training for my 3rd marathon now....to even stay at a reasonablw weight.