Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#271   ^
Old Fri, Mar-13-15, 16:32
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aradasky
(I blow so many minds when I drink my salt water in the morning but I love it!)
i'm not sure where i got the idea, maybe from gatorade (?), but i make a lot of limeade/lemonade during the summer months, and I like to add salt to it.
i like the salty, tart taste..
Sponsored Links
  #272   ^
Old Sun, Mar-22-15, 06:12
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/146/146 Male 164cm
BF:34%/27%/22%
Progress: 100%

For long bicycle rides lasting 2-6 hours, I carry mix of salted water or club soda. It helps avoiding cramps common among cyclists. Occasionally when I feel I am about to get cramps while cycling, I drink more of salted water and regular water and overcome this. I am also taking salt (both Iodised and Himalayan) in my salad for lunch. Not weighed the salt so far.

About two years ago, I used to get midnight cramps. I had ectopic heartbeats problem. To overcome, ectopic heartbeats, I took Taurine supplement, which solved cramps problem too. Now I take Magnesium Taurate, which helps getting a good night sleep.
  #273   ^
Old Mon, Aug-24-15, 09:33
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

6 common problems on low carb and how to cure them

Guess what? Salt is involved in most of them!
  #274   ^
Old Mon, Aug-24-15, 09:44

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Quote:
Originally Posted by subra66
For long bicycle rides lasting 2-6 hours, I carry mix of salted water or club soda. It helps avoiding cramps common among cyclists. Occasionally when I feel I am about to get cramps while cycling, I drink more of salted water and regular water and overcome this. I am also taking salt (both Iodised and Himalayan) in my salad for lunch. Not weighed the salt so far. .

I carry ziplocs of salt on my 8-12 hour mountain trail races, and then add the salt when i hit water stations

Pilotgal- like the lemon/limeaid idea! sounds like a margarita
  #275   ^
Old Wed, Sep-09-15, 11:31

Stats: 385/327/230 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress: 37%

Is there an easy way to check your sodium levels at home?

I started LC last August and did fairly well through March, losing 50-60lbs. In March I stopped being quite as strict and found myself cheating more often etc. I think my diet would still be considered "low carb", just not as low and not as consistent as it should be. I started tightening up my diet again a few weeks ago and started going to the gym. Right now all I'm doing is mild cardio, walking for about an hour each day but it's the first time I've exercised since going LC.

I've been feeling like crap: headaches, dry mouth, joints aching, etc. It's like the induction flu I never had when I first went LC a year ago so I'm thinking it might be a combination of the exercise and 90 degree weather here making me sweat and losing electrolytes. On the other hand it could just be my body being mad at me for making it work so I'd like to be able to check if my sodium levels are low or not. I've been trying to up my sodium intake but the results are inconsistent so I'm not sure if it's working but I need more, or if it's not doing anything but I'm randomly feeling better sometimes.

Thanks for any help or insight you can offer!
  #276   ^
Old Wed, Sep-09-15, 11:38
Experimenter

BF:

Not really. Just drink a couple of cups of salty broth every day and see if it helps. I'd avoid exercising in extreme heat. It is possible you're low on all electrolytes. You might try the salty broth (to retain them) and then supplement them too (calcium, magnesium, potassium).
  #277   ^
Old Wed, Sep-09-15, 11:49

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

I woke up in the night, night before last, with a calf cramp so painful I was yelling OW OW OW. Needless to say, I woke Husband, too.

I was also exhausted all day, more so than could be accounted for by too little sleep. Added salt to my morning water, added extra salt to pretty much everything, all day, and felt more myself by evening. Best of all, no cramps last night.

I have been aware of not skimping on salt, but this was the first that I really needed extra. Worked like a charm.
  #278   ^
Old Wed, Sep-09-15, 12:36

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Not really. Just drink a couple of cups of salty broth every day and see if it helps. I'd avoid exercising in extreme heat. It is possible you're low on all electrolytes. You might try the salty broth (to retain them) and then supplement them too (calcium, magnesium, potassium).

It's not hot where I exercise (walking on a treadmill in a gym), it's just hot in general around here right now.

I've been adding extra salt to my food and I had some Miso soup at lunch today so hopefully that will help.

Also, I switched from water to 0 carb Powerade during/after exercise. I know the Paleo in you is probably shuddering at that but it will hopefully just be a temporary crutch.

One other thing, on Saturday I started drinking "Bulletproof Coffee" for breakfast, do you think that might be affecting things at all?
  #279   ^
Old Wed, Sep-09-15, 14:48
Experimenter

BF:

Doubt if the bulletproof coffee is doing anything. I've got no issues with powerade. :-) I'm a "relaxed" Paleo. At the moment... too relaxed!

I'd do that Miso 2x a day. Hope you feel better soon!
  #280   ^
Old Thu, Sep-10-15, 04:45

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Kaptain, you're feeling like crap and are sweating a lot. No need for a test...you are low on sodium and fluids, and as Nancy said, probably all the electrolytes too. Drinking hot liquids in hot weather can actually be cooling, use the salty broths mid morning and afternoon, even with some extra salt. I like the taste of the pink Himalayan salt and will lick off my hand if feel light-headed...almost instant relief. This diet is naturally diuretic and people underestimate how much fluid, and the salt along with it, they lose. Use water, flavor it if you must, or maybe iced tea? just to be sure you get enough.
  #281   ^
Old Sun, Sep-13-15, 09:09

Plan: ZC Carnivore 100%
Stats: 170/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 77%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight!
At one point in my low carb journey, when I had lost a fair amount of weight, there came a day when there were potato chips just sitting there at my place. I couldn't stop thinking about them. It was a very powerful craving. At this point I had declined carby foods many times, but I really wanted these potato chips. I gave in and ate some, because I would have been consumed by thoughts of them for hours if I hadn't.

Recently the dots connected for me. My low carb diet was too low in salt. My cravings for potato chips back then were from my body trying to balance itself.

I agree. My body is always working to balance itself, especially something I notice in the months I've lived lc. I'm older (70) so now sodium is vital daily. I don't go overboard, but I do drink 2 cups daily of chicken bouillon to balance out. It prevents so-called "Atkins flu" or lightheadedness, occasional headache, total exhausted feeling. Books by Volek & Phinney, also Eric Westman MD & others, emphasize the need for sodium on lc.
  #282   ^
Old Tue, Sep-15-15, 06:59

BF:

Just to touch base with the thread, I upped my sodium intake as I mentioned before by adding Powerade Zero when I go to the Gym, having some Broth each day, adding salt to my food, and even dipping the tip of my finger in a little salt and licking it off some times.

Result: Feeling great, completely back to normal - no, scratch that, I'm feeling better than I did before.

Thanks!
  #283   ^
Old Tue, Sep-15-15, 07:17

Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:
Progress: 100%

Traveling and hard to get enough in. Need to get more so will concentrate on salt water AM and PM. Getting restless and crampy legs without it. One thing I miss about being at home is that balance of ENOUGH salt.
  #284   ^
Old Tue, Sep-15-15, 08:00
Experimenter

BF:

Good job, Kaptain O!

Arlene, I hear that some places are selling bone broth along with their coffee. LOL! I wonder where?
  #285   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-15, 05:49

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

A cute video from NYT about difference between regular and sea salt. Yeah, it is all about taste...and since most salt is in processed food, when you eliminate those, you need to add salt.
http://www.nytimes.com/video/health...-sea-salt.html?