Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1861   ^
Old Fri, Mar-17-06, 07:19
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Joe
Here's a question... does anyone know if Oregano Leaf Powder has the same effects as the oil? I was looking at the local health food store and saw the Oregano Leaf Powder in capsule form, and it's about 1/3 of the price as the oil. Just curious if anyone knows.
Oregano leaf powder is useless and a ripoff. IMO.

It is the essential oils IN the leaf, NOT the leaf itself that's beneficial. It takes 1000 kg of dried oregano leaves to produce 15-30 kg of oregano oil. You do the math.
Sponsored Links
  #1862   ^
Old Fri, Mar-17-06, 15:29

Plan: Personal
Stats: 225/212/205 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 65%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
Oregano leaf powder is useless and a ripoff. IMO.

It is the essential oils IN the leaf, NOT the leaf itself that's beneficial. It takes 1000 kg of dried oregano leaves to produce 15-30 kg of oregano oil. You do the math.

I guess that would explain the huge price difference! Thanks!
  #1863   ^
Old Wed, Aug-30-06, 08:25
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%
Default Reviving this thread for my own purposes!

Hope no-one minds, but I didn't ee the point of startting a new one when this one exists already, although it has gotten a little unweildy to search through!

Before I ask this question, I have searched the thread.

Okay - I suspect a candida/yeast problem so thought I'd give the OoO a try. The first time I tried it, I got pretty bad D and stopped taking it due to work issues. Now I am working from home exclusively, so I have started taking it again. I am using the drops. My bottle says 1-5 drops daily, or as directed.

So I took 5 drops, 2x a day for the past 3 days. Yeah, yeah. The first two days I was extremely tired, headachy, felt heavy and had some weird skin sensations. Yesterday though, about two hours after dinner (and the OoO dose) I had horrible cramps, then D and passed a bunch of undigested food. You're welcome for the mental picture. Just not sure if that's die-off, or an OoO OD!

Any info is appreciated.
  #1864   ^
Old Wed, Aug-30-06, 13:07
Finding the Pieces

BF:

It's die off and cleansing.
  #1865   ^
Old Thu, Aug-31-06, 18:56
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Thanks Z...

is it possible to take too much? I'm doing 5 drops 2x a day.
  #1866   ^
Old Tue, Sep-05-06, 19:44
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 162/156/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress:

Definately sounds like die off symptoms. From what I hear we wouldn't belive all the undigested food that stays in our bodies. What a good breeding ground for candida and other yucky things huh?
I would cut back to 2 drops a day of the OoO and gradually increase. Are you taking acidophillus as well? That puts the "good" bacteria back into your system.
  #1867   ^
Old Tue, Oct-10-06, 05:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 299/268/220 Male 6ft
BF:
Progress: 39%

I took 3 drops last night for the first time and am down 1 lb this morning-so is my wife who took 2 drops last night. I had been stalled for 2 weeks and she has been on a stall for 3- 4 months. So something is working. I am looking for the die off action for cleansing purposes- How many drops daily do you reccomend for this cleansing effect?? At this point I will be taking 2 drops 2X daily. Is this enough?
  #1868   ^
Old Wed, Oct-11-06, 06:09
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by waywardsis
Thanks Z...

is it possible to take too much? I'm doing 5 drops 2x a day.
That's fine. I wouldn't take much more than about 12-16 drops/day.
  #1869   ^
Old Wed, Oct-11-06, 06:13
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmoore
I took 3 drops last night for the first time and am down 1 lb this morning-so is my wife who took 2 drops last night. I had been stalled for 2 weeks and she has been on a stall for 3- 4 months. So something is working. I am looking for the die off action for cleansing purposes- How many drops daily do you reccomend for this cleansing effect?? At this point I will be taking 2 drops 2X daily. Is this enough?
4 drops 2X daily up to 12 drops/day.
  #1870   ^
Old Wed, Jan-10-07, 19:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/162/120 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 13%

Wow, I can't believe I have almost read every single post in this thread. I just joined yesterday and I spent 6 hours last night and about 4 hours today reading this thread. Once I started I couldn't stop...so much good information.

I did take a break today though and ran out to my local HFS and bought some ooo...the same one 2brickie talked about. It was the last one on the shelf. I didn't want to take it so late in the day so I will start on it tomorrow and see what happens.

I do have one question...is anyone taking probiotics along with the ooo? The lady at the HFS suggested it so that if I have die off I will be replacing it with good bacteria.

Just wondering.
  #1871   ^
Old Thu, Jan-11-07, 09:39
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 162/156/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress:

Probiotics are definately a good idea!
  #1872   ^
Old Mon, Feb-05-07, 19:18

Plan: Mostly carnivory
Stats: 145/145/145 Male 5'11'' (feet and inches)
BF:
Progress: -20%

Hey there, ya'll! I just started OoO yesterday (two drops in PM). Today I had two drops before breakfast and 2 more this PM before dinner. My interest in it stems from IBS, bad bloating and abdominal distension. (I was a huge refined sugar/grain junk food eater as a child and teenager, so I'm pretty sure I've got a lot of cleaning up to do). I'm on a meat/eggs/sat. fat/cod liver oil diet (no dairy).

I wasn't really expecting any die off symptoms, but today at the office many hours after my initial morning dose, I had this wave of drowsiness and uncoordination. I was like in a daze almost. This evening, it has been several hours since my dinner dose and right now I'm starting to feel drowsy and sort of light headed, like spacey almost. Gauging from the other posts, I'd say these are die-off symptoms.

I'm acclimating to an increased dosage as I go, but don't want to overdo it too early as I've read about bad die-off if taken too quickly (diarrhea, extreme sleepiness, etc.). I'm thinking about acclimating to 4 drops 2x daily, as suggested in one of the previous posts. Does this sound like a reasonable, yet effective goal dosage? Sounds like it, but you know how good it feels to have confirmation!

Thanks, take care, and good luck to everyone looking to improve your lives, ya'll

Last edited by Jayppers : Mon, Feb-05-07 at 19:29.
  #1873   ^
Old Mon, Feb-05-07, 19:34
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Sounds good to me.
  #1874   ^
Old Tue, Feb-06-07, 07:50

Plan: Mostly carnivory
Stats: 145/145/145 Male 5'11'' (feet and inches)
BF:
Progress: -20%
Question

Great, Thanks! :0 ) One ? I still have... What is the best timeline to continue with anti-candida supplements/herbs? I plan on staying on my diet for life, but was wondering if there is any problem just continuing on with the supplements/herbs for a long time as well. I've read that some candida can take upwards to 6 months to a year to clear, for severe candida cases. My main complaint is IBS/bloating, a chronic dry eye condition, and inability to gain weight, which I believe stem from a leaky gut. Should I just plan on proceeding with my anti-candida herbs/supplements for 6 months to a year? Is my regimen adequate? I may be over obsessing about this, but I just want to make sure I'm not wasting my time

Daily regimen:
1) 2000 MG of caprylic acid
2) 1 Pau D'Arco capsules 3x daily(don't recall the dosage)
3) Oil of Oregano (acclimating to 4 drops, 2x daily)
4) cook with coconut oil and eat with meals
Thanks again, ya'll! Stay warm if you're in or near Ohio!
  #1875   ^
Old Tue, Feb-06-07, 08:33
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Still looks good. I would work up to increasing the OOO. It helps with a lot of other things besides candida also. It's powerful and wondrous stuff.

What about other supplements? To get well you need a good supplement program.

And, of course, some vitamin D, calcium, and magnesium.