Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 20:35

Plan: Atkins Nutritionals
Stats: 226/204/150 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default DH loved it and I

made myself chocolate ice cream. I used 2 TB unsweetened cocoa powder and 1 TB splenda; I think it needed more splenda b/c it was kind of "bittersweet" but the consistency was like right out of a haagen-daz container!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 20:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 262/210/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 46%

I tried chocolate tonight with cocoa powder and it was FABULOUS! And I swear my serving was "bigger", I didnt lose any like I do when I use the electric churn cause none stuck to the sides (actually I inverted the baggie and licked the friggin thing clean, not so much as DROP wasted )

Thanks for the idea!!!
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 17:05

Stats: 210/137/130 Female 4' 11
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default I like it,I love it...I want more of it!!!!

this is sooooo good...my kids thought it was "real" ice cream! Whomever thought of this....you are very smart!!!!! Tastes great...Thanks a million for sharing
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 19:08
Contributing Member

Stats: 186/160/160 Male 68 inches
BF:?%/15%/10%
Progress: 100%

WOW, this is good! I just had some. I made a cup instead of half a cup and ate it all, and it was only 8 carbs.

Can someone explain to me what the salt does? What would happen if it was done without salt?

Thanks,
Arnie
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 21:24

Stats: 210/137/130 Female 4' 11
BF:

I don't know why, but I suppose it gives the same effect as using a ice cream maker with rock salt. I think it has something to do with the ice not freezing together...kinda like in the winter, why we (in minnesota anyway) put salt down on on entryways and roads...I just bought a new ice cream machine and I chose one that does not need rock salt,just need to freeze the cylinder for a few hours and then make your ice cream...mmm.....berry good Enough of my rambling!!!!!
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 17:30

Stats: 294/255/155 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 28%
Default Ice cream on Induction

Just a thot....I discovered today that I have been having way too much cream. Only 2-3 Tbsp allowed on Induction. On the next page it said 3 oz. per day. But I think that is not supposed to be every day. I had been having at least 3 oz every day, and I'm wondering if that hasn't contributed to my slowly stalling weight loss. Am cutting way down on my cream now to see if that will start me back up again.

This recipe calls for 1/2 c. That would be quite a bit more than what is allowed. At least on Induction. I'm not too sure how much cream is allowed on OWL as I'm still working my Induction plan, starting now on my 4th month.

Echo
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 14:24
Registered Member

Stats: 292/190.5/180 Male 75 inches
BF:18%

Question,

Does this taste kinda like the soft serve ice cream on out get from a place like Dairy Queen???? Looking at the ingredents I would think so.

And to answer the question about why the salt: Yes it is about the same as putting salt on the roads in winter. Salt water freezes at a much lower temp that regular water. (that is why the ocean is very hard to freeze) It will still freeze, but at a lower temp. It depends upon the ratio of salt to Water (melted ice) and the temp to a point. After that you need to use other chemicals. (thats why in the southern states you can get away with using salt on the roads most of the time, but up north where it is colder they use different chemicals that work longer at a lower temp.)

Thanks to all,

Kansas5
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 18:32

Plan: Atkins Nutritionals
Stats: 226/204/150 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default Need Chocolate ziplock ice cream recipe please

I have the vanilla ice cream recipe:

4 oz heavy cream
1 tbs. splenda
1 tsp vanilla

last time I did 2 Tbs. cocoa powder (not sweetened) and 1 tbs splenda, tasted chocolate, but bitter.

what are the proper proportions?

TIA!
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 16:22

Stats: 250/248/160 Female 5'4
BF:BigBallaFat
Progress: 2%

yum, I'm gonna try this!

Last edited by Froggiebro : Sun, Jul-27-03 at 16:26.
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 16:00

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 183/145.0/135 Female 5'6
BF:23
Progress: 79%
Talking The Ice Cream Man!

Don't mean to steal your thunder, but OMG! I just saw this on PBS. It was a married couple who have written a number of books, demonstrating different activities for kids. I was thinking about doing this for my upcoming housewarming in September.

Have the guests make their own dessert. I will put out small dishes of nuts, fruits and toppings. To serve it, all they have to do is cut a small end off of the bottom of the bag and squeeze it out onto a cone, plate, or into a cup and put on their favorite toppings and Wa-La! I'm the perfect Hostess with the Mostess!

Too Cool!
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 16:56

Stats: 200/???/120 Female 5' 3
BF:way/too/much!!
Progress: 0%

Sounds yummy - thanks. I'm going to try it tonight and may add some Jello Sugar Free Chocolate Fudge Pudding Powder!
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-03, 07:38

Plan: Low Carb(Atkins)
Stats: 350/288/220 Male 70"
BF:yes !
Progress: 48%

Being an Ice Cream Addict, I tried this. It was good !!

My GF brings home regular Ice Cream from the store, and I can hear it calling my name. So last night I jumped up and made the zip lock special.

Cheers,
Brent in Pitttsburgh
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 10:42
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Use Dutch processed cocoa - less bitter and better chocolate flavour - and combine it with boiling water to make a smooth paste. Whisk in the rest of the ingredients and add more sweetener.

Karen
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 23:27

Stats: 302.2/302.2/185 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 0%

Just wanted to share my version ... good for those with TOM chocolate cravings

I make my own version of LC chocolate bars with melted unsweetened chocolate, butter & splenda (I'm sure there's a more elegant recipe, but it works for me ) I melt them together, spread them on waxed paper on a cookie sheet or plate and refrigerate, then cut them into squares with a pizza cutter, & store them in a plastic tub. So, I was feeling like having something really chocolatey to kick the TOM crummy feeling, and made the ziploc chocolate ice cream with cream, Splenda, cocoa and a dash of vanilla. I also added in a bunch of broken up bits of my homeade chocoalte. Shook it up as instructed and WOW... chocolate chunk ice cream. RICH chocolate chunk ice cream that was unbelievably good - and rich enough to not leave me with any cravings.

I use about a tbsp of cocoa, tbsp of splenda and a dash of vanilla, and seems to work out perfectly for me.

YUM!

Wynter
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-03, 06:29

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 183/145.0/135 Female 5'6
BF:23
Progress: 79%

Karen, I just visited your homepage and note you don't have any before or after photos. Is this true or did I miss them?