Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-01-18, 12:47
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%
Default Meals around chicken

I've finally found that I love grilled chicken breast, I'm so lame I've been eating it with BBQ sauce (17carbs). It's cooked and frozen and I can pop it in the microwave for 2 minutes.

I'm trying to make a meal, without cooking stuff and that's a lot lower carb. It basically has to be a microwave food.

I've never used dips, which area of the store do you get ranch dip? Are there other ones that would go with chicken and be LC.

It's embarrassing to admit how timid I am about branching out in food choices.

As weird as it seems I think my lack of food choices works in my favor as the temptations are low.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-01-18, 14:41

Plan: Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 156/120/125 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 116%

I find chicken breast to be dry and unintersting so when there are leftovers to be microwaved, I usually put a huge dollop of bacon grease or coconut oil on top along with some spices like mole powder, curry, or taco seasoning. Mixed with the melted fat it makes a nice low carb “sauce”. Another technique is olive oil, lemon juice and powdered parmesan cheese for a more Italian flavour.

You could also just microwave the fat and spices in a small bowl for dipping the chicken.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-01-18, 14:49
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshepard
I find chicken breast to be dry and unintersting so when there are leftovers to be microwaved, I usually put a huge dollop of bacon grease or coconut oil on top along with some spices like mole powder, curry, or taco seasoning. Mixed with the melted fat it makes a nice low carb “sauce”. Another technique is olive oil, lemon juice and powdered parmesan cheese for a more Italian flavour.

You could also just microwave the fat and spices in a small bowl for dipping the chicken.

Your description of plain chicken breast is right on target. Most of the meat I've been eating comes from a can, thus leading to my description of its awesomeness. You gave me some great LC ideas. Thanks very much!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-01-18, 15:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/128/130 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 105%

I use ranch salad dressing as a ranch dip. You usually find a ranch dip in the fridge department or the mix to make your own in the area where the packets of gravy mixs are. Precooked chicken breast or strips are a great base for all kinds of microwaveable dishes. I like chicken topped with a little salsa or marinara sauce and shredded cheese. If your carb level is high enough you can add just about all you can eat zucchini or a half cup of refried beans to that for a really filling meal.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-01-18, 17:02
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeyna
I use ranch salad dressing as a ranch dip. You usually find a ranch dip in the fridge department or the mix to make your own in the area where the packets of gravy mixs are. Precooked chicken breast or strips are a great base for all kinds of microwaveable dishes. I like chicken topped with a little salsa or marinara sauce and shredded cheese. If your carb level is high enough you can add just about all you can eat zucchini or a half cup of refried beans to that for a really filling meal.

I tried this today. I carb salsa, 1 carb shredded cheese! Variety is the spice of life. I hate salad dressing but I'm hoping ranch dip will taste better. I love zucchini as well. Refries not in my carb tolerance level yet. Thanks madeyna!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-02-18, 09:16

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

i wonder if there are any good lowcarb bbq sauce recipes around?

i really like chicken with a 'spicy dipper sauce'. we mix mayo with hot sauce to make a dip--very low in carbs.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-02-18, 13:56
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walnut
i wonder if there are any good lowcarb bbq sauce recipes around?

I really like the chicken with a 'spicy dipper sauce'. we mix mayo with hot sauce to make a dip--very low in carbs.

I haven't seen one, but I could try your trick of mixing with mayo, BBQ or salsa.

I mostly want to add some kind of vege as eating plain chicken every day is kind of dismal.

I'll head to the store tonight and spend some time reading labels and get out of my boring habit comfort zone.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-02-18, 14:58

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I just made chicken salad with leftover rotisserie chicken using celery, green onion and mayo +spices.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-02-18, 17:24

Plan: Keto/Carnivore/Fasting
Stats: 190/143/144 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 102%

I like mayo with hot sauce mixed in for dipping.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Mar-03-18, 01:14
Registered Member

That chx salad sounds really good. I just had a moment. I've been following LC for 2-3 days and then having these sugar fests of foods that I neither like nor crave.

When I added up the cals in my canned chx its 40 with 2g fat. My frozen chx breast is 100 cal and 3g fat. I realized I need to eat something besides chicken and a lot more fat. I've been eating 80- 250cal a day. I'm not the starvation diet type!

I bought corn beef and ham just lunch meat and I'm going to start eating salads and mayo with hot sauce and bullet proof coffee. I'm hoping it will help with my blaw moods and fatigue and insomnia too.

Thank you, your ideas have helped a lot!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Mar-03-18, 07:42
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Eggs are easy to cook in a mug in the microwave .

Use a large mug .. melt a knob of butter (20 - 30 seconds?). Break in two eggs, beat lightly to blend with the melted butter. Add a dash of salt and pepper if you like. Microwave on High for 30 seconds .. it will puff up around the edges but still be liquid in the center. Give a stir, microwave for another 30 seconds or so, depending on your oven's wattage. You can add a handful of pre-shredded cheese to it (pepper-jack is nice!) and some salsa. Yum

Want sausages and eggs? Take a couple of brown-and-serve sausages (or a pre-cooked sausage patty) and cut up into small pieces. Microwave in your large mug until heated through, about a minute. Leave the juices in there, as it will add flavor . Break in a couple of eggs, stir well and microwave on high .. take out after 30 sec. to stir the liquidy center in with the cooked outer edges then back in to finish cooking. Add some cheese if you like.

Not chicken, but just a thought for something else that might work with your current lack-of-kitchen situation
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Mar-04-18, 22:54
Registered Member

This is great! Sausage and eggs! yum.
Thanks!

and Thanks for all the time you put into this forum!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Mar-12-18, 11:32

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I regularly use my 2-cup pyrex measuring cup to cook up eggs with fixings - there's more room to mix and for the eggs to puff up than a mug, which might overflow. And there is a handle so I eat it right out of the pyrex to minimize dishwashing.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Mar-12-18, 14:15
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

I use a 20 oz. soup mug .. has a vented lid to prevent liquid boilovers, but I don't usually use it (the lid) with eggs.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Mar-13-18, 13:42
Registered Member

Thanks y'all. I'm having an easier time now.