Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-13-11, 21:51

Plan: none
Stats: 120/160/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy Help!!! So frustrated!!!!

I put on 40 lbs a year ago, since then I have been eating extremely healthy, started working out for an hour 5 days a week, and haven't dropped a pound. I logged my food and workouts on a website and it told me that particular day I netted -1,700 calories. I can't do much more to loose weight. I take tons of supplements every day, including thyroid glandulars, adrenals, dhea, cell food, etc. My hair falls out, have tingly numbness in my feet and hands, have no energy, am depressed, always constipated, get swelling in my ankles, am always cold, etc. I have no health insurance, so was excited when I finally got to have a TSH lab done with a woman's well exam. My TSH levels came back 1.04, and she said it was normal. I was so frustrated I started bawling. I just don't know what else to do!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-14-11, 04:55
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

What are you eating on a typical day?

Lee
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-14-11, 11:15

BF:
Progress:

Well some typical things I eat would be a low calorie wheat english muffin with fake butter spray, turkey bacon, every now and then scrambled eggs, today a cliff builders bar for breakfast. For lunch I eat things life a baja salad from Wendy's, I also make my own version of it at home with chili I make with buffalo meat, lean cuisine meals a lot too. Dinner's might be wheat pasta with chicken and vodka sauce and vegetables, or lean cuisines. Snacks are usually apples, low fat string cheese, protein bars, lara bars, turkey jerky, wheat tortilla chips and quacamole. I never eat white food, rarely eat sweets, and I normally eat vegetables. My eating habits are about the same as when I was 20 pounds lighter and wasn't working out at all.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-14-11, 12:06
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Have you read any low carb or paleo books? Pasta, muffins, chips etc and such a low fat intake won't help your weight loss.

Lee
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-14-11, 12:06

Plan: Standard LC ~50g a day
Stats: 455/418/220 Male 6 Feet 4 Inches
BF:41.2
Progress: 16%

Are you trolling? You are not eating healthy, nor lowcarb.

English muffin, Whole wheat Torilla chips, pasta = wheat and carbs
Fake butter spray = transfat vegetable oil
Cliff bar, lara pars, protein bars, etc all have sugar, usually HFCS, and a bunch of carbs and bad fats.

not to mention lean cuisine, yuk.

Have you read any LC books or diet plans?

Cut out all grains, just eat meats, eggs, cheeses, and vegetables(not wheat or corn), and some fruit.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-14-11, 12:26

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by babylero
Are you trolling? You are not eating healthy, nor lowcarb.

English muffin, Whole wheat Torilla chips, pasta = wheat and carbs
Fake butter spray = transfat vegetable oil
Cliff bar, lara pars, protein bars, etc all have sugar, usually HFCS, and a bunch of carbs and bad fats.

not to mention lean cuisine, yuk.

Have you read any LC books or diet plans?

Cut out all grains, just eat meats, eggs, cheeses, and vegetables(not wheat or corn), and some fruit.

Seriously?? I'm on a thyroid thread asking for help and you're accusing me of trolling because you feel my diet is not low carb enough?????? Why would I even care to troll on a low carb forum?? I am not mentally disturbed nor am I 12 years old. Thanks for your help anyway.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-14-11, 12:30

Plan: my own LC
Stats: 179/141/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 112%

Liz: Just want to tell you my experience. 2 yrs ago I was diagnosed insulin resistant. Doc sent me to a dietician, who told me to eat 150 g of carbs a day. I was eating whole wheat, brown rice, quinoa, barley...and thinking I was doing myself a favor. Very low fat. And I gained 20 pounds in those 2 years. I started low carb this Oct. and have dropped 15 lbs. But it's my energy level that has me amazed! I am no longer dead tired! In fact, I used to love my afternoon nap, but now I can't fall asleep during the day. Try eliminationg all grains and starchy vegs for a couple weeks. And enjoy your steak, bacon, avocados! Do read Why We Get FAt and What we can do about it by Gary Taubes. And refer to this web site often! Good Luck!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Dec-14-11, 12:41

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicachyna
Liz: Just want to tell you my experience. 2 yrs ago I was diagnosed insulin resistant. Doc sent me to a dietician, who told me to eat 150 g of carbs a day. I was eating whole wheat, brown rice, quinoa, barley...and thinking I was doing myself a favor. Very low fat. And I gained 20 pounds in those 2 years. I started low carb this Oct. and have dropped 15 lbs. But it's my energy level that has me amazed! I am no longer dead tired! In fact, I used to love my afternoon nap, but now I can't fall asleep during the day. Try eliminationg all grains and starchy vegs for a couple weeks. And enjoy your steak, bacon, avocados! Do read Why We Get FAt and What we can do about it by Gary Taubes. And refer to this web site often! Good Luck!

Thank you!!! I will look into the insulin resistance. I will also try to cut out more carbs, although I'm still confused as to why I have had such a huge change in the last year. I teach ballroom dancing and this weight gain has been devastating for me. I have always watched my weight and know how to keep myself at a certain weight, so that's not new to me. What has got me confused is why I am doing the excact same things as before but staying heavy.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Dec-14-11, 14:26

Plan: Standard LC ~50g a day
Stats: 455/418/220 Male 6 Feet 4 Inches
BF:41.2
Progress: 16%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizintx
Seriously?? I'm on a thyroid thread asking for help and you're accusing me of trolling because you feel my diet is not low carb enough?????? Why would I even care to troll on a low carb forum?? I am not mentally disturbed nor am I 12 years old. Thanks for your help anyway.

You come onto a low carb forum, ask why you can't lose weight, then proceed to tell us that what you eat in no way resembles a low carb diet. lol.

Anway, sorry If i jumped to conclusions.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Dec-14-11, 16:25

Plan: LOOKING FOR A PLAN
Stats: 239/183/165 Female 5'9"
BF:Yes I have that
Progress: 76%

liz once you are insulin resisitant carbs generally keep you from losing weight.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Dec-14-11, 17:06

BF:
Progress:

Wow! I am reading up on insulin resistance and it is interesting. My grandmother and great-aunt were both diabetic, my midwife suspected I had gestational diabetes but I talked her out of sending me to the doctor. I have had more problems than ever since that pregnancy 4 years ago. Mabye I should give the low carb thing a try, but I really should have my insulin checked somehow.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Dec-14-11, 18:41

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by babylero
You come onto a low carb forum, ask why you can't lose weight, then proceed to tell us that what you eat in no way resembles a low carb diet. lol.

Anway, sorry If i jumped to conclusions.

If you don't want to be helpful with my question and only want to be rude and condescending then please don't respond. Thanks!!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Dec-14-11, 20:10
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizintx
If you don't want to be helpful with my question and only want to be rude and condescending then please don't respond. Thanks!!

Moderator note

Personal insults are not acceptable on this forum, as per our forum rules.

Also, please bear in mind that the Thyroid Disease forum is just a part of our low carb forum, so we do not see eating a high carb, low fat diet as "extremely healthy".